Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Product Reviews
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2020, 11:54 AM

4,276 posts, read 5,931,553 times

Advertisements

I bought a new Suncast Hose Reel late last summer to replace a failed metal hose holder bolted to the chimney. $25 at a Big Box store, thought I found a deal! In the fall I disconnected the reel from the hose bib, extended the hose all the way, removed the pistol grip sprayhead, then reeled the hose all the way back onto the reel, thus draining it completely, and moved the reel into the attached garage which never freezes for winter storage.

Today I moved the reel back outside and reconnected it to the hose bib, turned on the water to use the hose, and a massive internal leak from the reel! Dang! Did it freeze over winter and break the internal plastic pipe? But how? It was stored indoors after being drained.

So being an engineer, I figured that I would order the typically over-priced internal pipe piece and repair the reel. $39 for a 6-inch long piece of 1/2 inch diameter plastic pipe!! Without shipping!

So I bought the same item a second time, for the same $25 cost I paid last Fall. This will probably become an annual event.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2020, 08:28 PM

6,814 posts, read 11,531,564 times
This happened to us last year, except it was a fancy $79 reel. Mr. Dokie promptly threw it out (I think it was bulky item pickup week) and Bought a new one. I emailed Suncast with my disdain for their cr***Y product. Lo and behold, a week later I get a replacement piece in the mail, totally unsolicited. Too late for us, and apparently for you, but it might help others.

Old 07-15-2020, 03:59 PM

10,385 posts, read 10,650,173 times
I had a Suncoast Hose Reel that I took in to my basement last fall before it got cold. I went to take it out this spring and found the spindle had broken. It sounds similar to the problem you had. I looked around for a better product and couldn't find anything else. My local Lowe's didn't have one that wasn't wall mounted so I ordered one online from Lowe's. It was broken when delivered. I took it back to the local Lowe's and they now had the same product in stock. I hope it lasts for two years. I bought the one for a longer hose, so I'm hoping it might be a little more durable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Product Reviews