Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Product Reviews
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2011, 10:42 AM

2,186 posts, read 8,598,864 times

Advertisements

Having a lifelong love affair with the name John Deere it is not surprise that I own a JD lawn mower. With a MSRP of List Price: $349.00 it may cause a period of sticker shock when compared to K Marts $99 special. I have bought many $99, one season, specials in my lifetime. Every one of them has had the same performance record. First year they perform moderately well and cut the lawn more or less adequately. The second year they may or may not start until I take the carburetor, air filter, fuel filter and several assorted parts off and clean them. Then they may, or may not, start.

Finally, I came to the realization that the $99 specials had cost way too much frustration and me over $1000 for a man of my age. I got smart and bought the mower nearest my heart the JD Model JS 26 walk behind mower. Why JD you might ask?

The 190 cc 4-cycle motor on the JS26 is built by Briggs & Stratton to JD's particular standards. It is not the $99 special motor by any means ass it is built to perform for many mowing seasons. Here is something unique, you do not have to pump the little bulb or pull out the choke to start. You simply stand behind the mower, hold down the operator safety bar, pull the rope while remaining standing and away you go. The engine qualifies for the California Air Resources Board and Environmental Protection Agency certification.

Most lawnmowers have a set mowing speed; JD JS26 has an adjustable speed from 0 to 3.6 miles per hour depending on how fast you want to mow. They call it Mow-Mentum and you can lock in your speed. Wow, cruise control on your lawnmower. The Deere has a stamped 14-gauge steel deck that stands up to the occasional rock in the lawn. It may show a dent but not blow out the side like the cat aluminum decks.

Even the wheels show JD requirements in their construction. Most lawnmowers just have pins from the mower deck through the plastic wheels. JD has metal bushings in the wheels to wear longer. Speaking of better wheels, the JD has rubber tires on the outside of the wheels for better traction ans wear.

It is these simple attentions to details that set JD apart from the $99 specials and make me a happy mower. Did I mention that after setting all winter, fresh fuel, one pull on the rope and off I went to lawnmower paradise?

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++

o The carburetor is specifically designed to prevent flooding for easier starts--without priming or choking.

o A Fresh Start
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Product Reviews