Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Product Reviews
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-11-2011, 01:14 AM

2,186 posts, read 8,598,864 times

Advertisements

Brother HL4040CN Laser Computer Printer

Rating: 4 out of 5
  • Currently 4.0/5.0

A big mistake many people make when they purchase a new computer, is that they spend a huge proportion of their budget on the hardware, but just a fraction on a supporting printer.* For so long I fell into the same trap; I was taken in by the fancy advertising and promotions of the manufacturers and didn't see the point in over spending on the printer.*
However, several late reports and untidy presentations later, and I have learned the error of my ways and have recently treated myself to a Brother HL4040CN Laser color printer and this is proving a great decision and money well spent at $325.* It produces high quality documentation, suitable for reproduction and distribution, with a sharp and clear imaging.* There is a USB direct interface, leading from a flash memory disk drive, enhancing its capabilities.*
On the down side of things, the toner is extremely expensive at $100 each and there are four tones in the devise, therefore to replace all four would actually cost more than the printer itself.* There is though a way of resetting the toner, although I have not needed to do this yet, but if it works as I imagine, then this would rectify that potential problem.* Also, the black on white printing is a little slow and can appear somewhat faded; but on the whole I'm very happy with my Brother printer.*
Epson and Canon are, as you would expect, huge competitors and both do have ranges that can certainly match the HL 4040CN, but at present I am enjoying the fact that I have reliability in performance, little or no maintenance requirements, and top quality prints.* All this instead of the frustration I used to feel when my cheap version jammed or completely failed.* It is so true that you get what you pay for; don't fall into the trap of false economy.***

Review by professional reviewer, Sep. 1, 2010
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Product Reviews