Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Product Reviews
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-11-2018, 04:11 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,357,456 times

Advertisements

This is either a testimony for the durability of MagLite flashlights or RayOVac alkaline batteries. In January of 2009 my family purchased a bank-owned farm (repossessed) on the Texas South Plains. According to the Deputy Sheriff at the time, the farm had been abandoned for about three years. On the farm, there was this large old metal Quonset barn with the doors blown out on both ends of the building. Upon our purchase of the property, we immediately set out to restore the old barn back to a usable state by replacing the doors and removing all the trash and debris left inside by the former property owners. In the front southeast corner of this barn there was an old hardwood shipping pallet that I left in place during the initial cleanup in order to sit my shovels, rakes, hoes and other yard implements on until such time as I could get around to cleaning that particular corner of the barn.

Today, April 11, 3018, I decided to finally pull the dirt-caked pallet from the corner of the barn and clean the corner since we now need the space. The pallet was literally stuck to the concrete floor from years of having had dirt, snow and rain blown in around it from the broken and open door. There was also a good amount of rodent "poo" and nesting materials and trash underneath the pallet. After pulling the pallet into the yard, I turned it up on its end to "bump-clean" the dirt and debris that was lodged on and inside it. To my surprise, as I shook the pallet, a much scratched up and very dirty purple Mini-MagLite flashlight fell out. I knew immediately the flashlight was not one that I had ever owned so it had to have been under that pallet since at least 2006. Thinking the penlight batteries inside were probably long expended and the flashlight tube was probably ruined by battery corrosion, imagine my shock when I twisted the top of the flashlight and the tiny bulb burned bright enough to see in the bright west Texas sunlightl! Very oddly, after removing the two RayOVac AA alkaline batteries, both appeared to be brand new although both read "Use by Dec 2009." At that moment I swear I heard the music from the Twilight Zone playing in my head but I'm sure it must have either been my tinnitus or the ever prevalent spring winds here on the South Plains.

I returned to the house with the flashlight where I found my battery operated wall clock in the bedroom had stopped running. I replaced the batteries in the MagLite with new batteries but took one of the old RayOVacs and placed it in the clock which is now buzzing right along again.

This is an absolutely true story.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2018, 05:21 PM

18,773 posts, read 18,145,830 times
When I drove truck and I always carried a Maglite. But that was many years ago. Since then I have now moved on to the little LED and COB lights. Here is one link to our product review on those: Metrix or HFT 9 LED flashlights. They are cheap and last considerably longer than the MagLites. Plus they are very durable compared the Maglites that, once dropped, might need a new bulb.

When I was trucking I always carried the Maglite in their little belt holder. One night I was doing my pre-trip and dropped my Maglite down a drainage grate. It was six feet down to the water that looked a few feet deep. It was on and shinning at the bottom as I said good bye. I was very careful around drainage grates after that.

As far as the batteries; I have just been buying 20 packs of Kodak at my local grocery store. They have them on sale for so cheap that I keep one or two packs of both the AA and AAA around at all times. The LED lights and batteries have saved us through many power outages. It also is very helpful to have a few of the LED or COB (LED) headlights. They put the light exactly where you need it. They are great for using the bathroom when out of power. You can find these at many stores such as ACE, Tractor Supply or Harbor Freight.

Old 04-14-2018, 06:41 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,357,456 times
Here at the farm using Coop electricity and being at the very end of a power line, I try to keep a working flashlight in every cabinet and in every drawer. I buy batteries by the case since we seem to need a flashlight around here quite often especially when the security light in the yard fails as it did this past week. Things can get pretty dark out here really quick.

The LED flashlights are great but their limitation is usually in the switch which seems to always be a 3 or 5-function switch which causes the user to have to "switch" them three or more times every time you turn the light on. I just ordered two Cree LED flashlights for our travel trailer. These flashlights use large 18650 3.7 volt rechargeable batteries.

Not counting the Mini-Maglite I just found, I also have three or four regular MagLites (two and three cell). Their limitation is of course, batteries going dead and corroding inside the aluminum barrel. And their switches also often go bad.

I agree totally with having a good flashlight with you while trucking. I've been there.

Last edited by High_Plains_Retired; 12-11-2018 at 01:59 PM..

Old 04-14-2018, 08:12 PM

18,773 posts, read 18,145,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High_Plains_Retired View Post
Here at the farm using Coop electricity and being at the very end of a power line, I try to keep a working flashlight in every cabinet and in every drawer. I buy batteries by the case since we seem to need a flashlight around here quite often especially when the security light in the yard fails as it did this past week. Things can get pretty dark out here really quick.

The LED flashlights are great but their limitation is usually in the switch which seems to always be a 3 or 5-function switch which causes the user to have to "switch" them three or more times every time you turn the light on. I just ordered two Cree LED flashlights for our travel trailer. These flashlights use large 18650 3.7 volt rechargeable batteries.

Not counting the Mini-Maglite I just found, I also have three or four regular MagLites (two and three cell). Their limitation is of course, batteries going dead and corroding inside the aluminum barrel. And their switches also often go bad.

I agree totally with having a good flashlight with you while trucking. I've been there.
About ten years ago I purchased a dozen of the little Metrix LED flashlights. Only one had a switch failure and that was in the last year. Considering that I paid only $1.49 when I bought them on sale; that was a great buy.

Right before out lights went out with our first nor'easter of this season I bought one COB headlamp and one COB small flashlight. Both are brighter than the LED lights I had but I felt that they go through batteries faster (if you want them to shine as bright as they do with new batteries). But; I was glad I had both of them.

Even though the old Maglites performed great compared to the older 'conventional' flashlights. they never had the reliability of these newer flashlights. I always had to carry spare bulbs and batteries or fool with the switch. That said; I have a mini Maglite that sat in a pencil holder for the last ten years and I just, as I typed, gave it a try - it still worked. I also forgot that you can focus the beam of light and that is a plus for some needs.

Nice rig! I am a little gun shy about cab overs. I had one that almost broke my neck at a rail yard. I tried to force my way under a heavy box and it threw me out of the seat into the ceiling. It was my fault for not waiting for a jockey to raise the box but they were at lunch. At least I lived to learn!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Product Reviews