Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Product Reviews
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2011, 06:28 AM

2,186 posts, read 8,598,864 times

Advertisements

Hamilton Beach Wave Station Express Blender

Rating: 5 out of 5
  • Currently 5.0/5.0

I purchased the Hamilton Beach Wave Station Express Blender about six months ago. At $24.99 MSRP, the blender is one of the most affordable products on the market. It is also quite effective and easy to clean, making it one of my favorite kitchen appliances.

The look of this blender is simple. With a black base and lid, a clear plastic cup and silver-colored accoutrements, this machine looks great in a modern kitchen (or any kitchen that has a touch of black or silver). Before you are turned away by the idea of a blender with a plastic cup, you should know that this one is made with safe, durable DuraBlend material. Whereas a glass cup tends to be heavy, especially when filled with blended materials, this one is light and easy to maneuver. Additionally, it's a bit harder to break than a glass cup.

While I do not use the blender every day, I have used it 20 or 30 times since purchasing it. I can't attest to how it holds up to everyday use, but I can say that it has been consistently effective at blending smoothies and milkshakes, many of which were made using frozen fruit and ice. With this blender, you don't end up with a lot of chunky pieces; the final product is smooth and refreshing. I suppose the creamy results are a product of the blender's Wave-Action technology, which continuously pulls the materials down into the machine's blades. The waving motion is quite visible to the user. Most machines simply swirl ingredients round and round, resulting in a shake or smoothie with chunks of unchopped material. This one makes visible waves, and the smoothness of the resulting beverage attests to its effectiveness.

If you are looking for a machine with lots of complex features, this is NOT the machine for you. The Wave Station Express possesses a single dial with the following options: Pulse, Off, Dispense, Smoothie, Milkshake and Icy Drink. I appreciate its simplicity. Instead of choosing a function based on one of twelve vague action words (dice, chop, mix, etc.), users of this machine choose a function based on the result they desire (a smoothie, a shake, or an icy beverage).

One of this blender's most attractive qualities is the fact that its cup includes measurements in ounces and milliliters. The measurements are extremely useful for people trying to maintain consciousness of portion or serving sizes.

When you're thorough enjoying your shake or smoothie, clean-up is a piece of cake. Using a dishwasher to clean this machine is not recommended because of its plastic cup. (Though it is safe to use the top rack of a dishwasher, most are not tall enough to allow the cup to fit, making handwashing the better option.) I just take apart all the items attached to the cup, allowing them to soak in soapy water for a few minutes. After a gentle scrub, the gunk is gone. I advise letting the pieces air-dry rather than drying them with a cloth, as some of the smaller pieces may trap water. Once the pieces are dry, you can put the blender back together and store it without worrying about any problems resulting from water trapped in an enclosed space.

One feature this blender possesses that not all do is an easy-pour dispenser. When you wish to use the dispenser, you can attach it to the bottom of the cup. To use, you simply place your cup under the dispenser and press the lever, allowing your beverage to fill your cup. When you don't need the dispenser, you can simply use the cap accoutrement to plug the hole of the dispenser. I prefer to pour my smoothies and shakes the old-fashioned way, so I don't use the dispenser.

All in all, this is an excellent blender for individuals looking for an easy-to-use shake and smoothie maker. If you're looking for a blender that is more complex, with lots of bells and whistles, look elsewhere.

Jennifer Lunday

Review by professional reviewer, Aug. 25, 2011
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Product Reviews