Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2014, 04:56 PM

663 posts, read 778,233 times

Advertisements

Do people here just want everyone to agree with them and then tell them they are right, your ex was a total freak/loser/b tch/weirdo ??

What good does that do really?

1. For example, in another thread a single mom posts about how she doesn't want divorced guys, at least college educated, boring descriptions, no crop out photos or other "poor" photos. She want's a guy with motivation and ambition, funny profiles, well taken photos, etc.

2. She then claims she is not overly picky.

3. She gets replies telling her she is too picky and needs to lower her standards or ask her what she brings to the table.

4. She gets mad at everyone.

so.....

What good does it do if she made a thread and everyone said to her, "good for you! Keep it up! Don't worry those guys are just losers."

Then she goes back to online dating and finds no one for years and years because she is still picky. Then comes online here again and makes another rant thread. Then everyone again sides with her and tells her "don't worry 45 is the new 20! You will eventually find someone!"

I guess some people like living in a Matrix/Cloud 9?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2014, 05:03 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,868,361 times
Let's them vent. Its theraputic.

Old 06-21-2014, 05:03 PM

11,157 posts, read 14,006,045 times
I think a lot of people do. Some people aren't really looking for advice so much as validation for their conclusions on a given matter. It's a rare person who is able to identify himself or herself as the common denominator in all his/her own problems.

I don't have that problem, of course. It's the world around me that is so screwed up!

Old 06-21-2014, 05:05 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,868,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
I think a lot of people do. Some people aren't really looking for advice so much as validation for their conclusions on a given matter. It's a rare person who is able to identify himself or herself as the common denominator in all his/her own problems.

I don't have that problem, of course. It's the world around me that is so screwed up!
Oh the world is screwed up.

Old 06-21-2014, 05:19 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,931,771 times
How about the guy who posted about his "relationship" with his hooker, and expected everyone to be OK with that?

Or the one who was having an affair while in what he described as an intolerable marriage?

I won't say we've seen everything here, but we've seen a lot.

Old 06-21-2014, 05:20 PM

250 posts, read 328,548 times
I think so in part but they may leave with a different outlook or change in stance.

Old 06-21-2014, 05:31 PM

17,869 posts, read 20,999,231 times
I don't make threads mostly because I know I don't need any reaffirmation about relationships.

I mostly just vent, for what good it does me.

Old 06-21-2014, 05:40 PM

4,575 posts, read 5,192,716 times
I only made a few threads. But nothing in relationships-dating. I just vent a bit on existing threads, and offer advice.

But I am not looking for a relationship tutor lol or advice. I am already aware of the issues I have, and plan to get better.

But, some here either like trolling, or they think they want advice and want to hear certain answers, But when people get blunt, or tell them, they don't listen, because deep down, it's not the answer they wanted.

A girl I know asks for advice all the time about her sex buddy, and the issue with being such, on top of also being his side chick. People always tell her the same thing from needing more self respect, to being a *****, to being stupid. They also give reasons and back up for the claims. but she never listens. Just goes off to do as she pleases, then come back to ask more questions the next time he disrespects her.

But she's like some of those here. Maybe looking for validation/someone to kiss her ass and tell her she's innocent, hot, and put blame on the guy and his girlfriend.

So, yeah. Sadly some people ask for advice, and don't want it. They just want attention, validation, or sympathy--to be told they are great and the problem lies with everyone and everything else, as an excuse to continue doing what they always were.

Old 06-21-2014, 05:49 PM

4,038 posts, read 4,864,752 times
Some people do come here to get support for their point of view. Some don't. Some are open to different POV's. It's a mixed bag, as far as I can tell. Like anything else.

Old 06-21-2014, 06:39 PM

2,438 posts, read 2,811,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
How about the guy who posted about his "relationship" with his hooker, and expected everyone to be OK with that?

I won't say we've seen everything here, but we've seen a lot.
Oh yeah.. and you are the same person that said Elliot Rodgers posted here as well!! GADS! Did he? That really really CREEPS ME OUT because I think he was here ( before I was here) but why did you say something that I kinda of knew but is so damn painful? Because I kinda think he did as well?

I guess he had the right to post here.. but that is a really creepy feeling.

Last edited by thegreenflute334; 06-21-2014 at 07:05 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology