Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2012, 10:28 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,580,750 times

Advertisements

I've suffered bouts of depression in my life time but I was never bored. I have a very active imagination and I suppose it can be a blessing or a curse. A curse for sure when you are imagining the worst is going to happen and a boon when you are focused on the positive and the good. At times when I would get low I would attempt to practise a type of meditation called "Mindlessness". Just empty your mind of all things and just move into a real quiet zone. You will find it's difficult and thoughts will keep intruding on your attempts to create a true peace and restfulness in your mind. After the couple of minutes or even 5 minutes you have spent trying this exercise, think about what these intruding thoughts were. A LOT OF THE TIME IT'S THESE HARD TO CONTROL THOUGHTS THAT ARE THE SOURCE OF OUR DEPRESSION. The realization that these troubling thoughts are "just thoughts" that may be true or may not be true can really help us to move forward past these ideas that are distrubing our peace.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2012, 12:43 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,791,864 times
Sounds like the OP is jut another control freak trying to make the world work the way he wants it to. OP - good luck on that.

As an exercise I suggest having an acquaintance lock you into a dark closet for 30 minutes (time spent asleep does not count) or so and not let you out until the time is done. Then you will learn all about real boredom and a bit about what really scares you. The likeliest thing will be the certainty that they have finally gotten rid of you and they will never open the door.

Old 10-24-2012, 02:26 PM

29,747 posts, read 34,396,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarkar View Post
That sounds like me as well..

Here's a typical incident at the checkout when I swipe my credit card:

Casher: It comes out to $15.68.
Me: (Swipes Card)
The Screen: "Waiting for Authorization"
Me: (Pulls out smartphone)

10 seconds later:

Casher: Sir, please hit the green button.
Me: (Presses the green button)
Me: (Pulls out smartphone)

10 seconds later:

Cashier: Sir, please sign.
Me: (Signs and then pulls out the smartphone)

5 seconds later:

Cashier: Sir, please press the green button again.
Me: (presses green button and leaves.)
I'm not sure what you're trying to say here, other than that you can't go ten seconds without compulsively touching your phone. Or is that it?

Old 10-24-2012, 06:21 PM

10,363 posts, read 20,801,723 times
So I went on google search to find the word that describes what this sounds like and the word is acedia. I found this website, which is a spiritual one of course and it looks to have a succinct desription of acedia. Falling Out of Love: Acedia (Akedia) and Spiritual Apathy - ** Early Christian Spirituality and Spiritual Direction

Of course it could also be: depression--if this has come on relatively recently, ADHD--if this has been ongoing all your life and you wiggle to entertain yourself, or sociopathy--if the only thing that relieves your boredom is to torture people mentally or physically. Me? I take a book or sudoku wherever I go so if I have to wait for something I have something to do.

Old 10-24-2012, 06:35 PM

6,990 posts, read 11,418,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Sounds like the OP is jut another control freak trying to make the world work the way he wants it to. OP - good luck on that.

As an exercise I suggest having an acquaintance lock you into a dark closet for 30 minutes (time spent asleep does not count) or so and not let you out until the time is done. Then you will learn all about real boredom and a bit about what really scares you. The likeliest thing will be the certainty that they have finally gotten rid of you and they will never open the door.
This has to be one of the dumbest posts I've ever read on the forum.

Old 10-26-2012, 08:00 AM

7,032 posts, read 14,485,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
I'm not sure what you're trying to say here, other than that you can't go ten seconds without compulsively touching your phone. Or is that it?
I'm utterly unsure of what is there to be confused about.. I'm just giving an example in support of the OP's concern.

Old 11-02-2012, 11:47 AM

365 posts, read 490,235 times
You need to find a hobby i guess; Try some online games or something see what your community is up to. Get in shape start to work out. Their are tons of things that you can do to make sure your life it's a dull as a butter knife.

Old 11-02-2012, 06:32 PM

1,952 posts, read 4,790,471 times
Quote:
I am also at a point here where I don't seem to believe in anything. I don't really have any religious or political beliefs.
No wonder you are "bored".........

Old 11-02-2012, 10:23 PM

23,223 posts, read 29,051,044 times
Just like the body, you need to exercise and develop muscles. Same can be done with the mind, to exercise the mind and develop mind muscles.

Eastern Philosophy has those recipes for killing boredom!

An untrained mind is no different than an untrained body!

Old 11-04-2012, 07:29 AM

88,586 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Lack of creativity, maybe?

I don't understand how people can be bored. There isn't enough time left in life to do all the things I want to do--just reading all the books I'd like to read would be nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology