Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2012, 09:40 AM

17,874 posts, read 15,929,380 times

Advertisements

I wish to talk about dwelling on the past, Memory torture, and Serotonin levels.

I have had issues with dwelling on the past in the past. I would randomly think about issues I had with people over and over again. The thing is I would think about it for a maybe a good hour or two, and I would feel better about it. My mind would calm down, and I go about my business. But the next day it would happen again. I would repeat this pattern. I always thought it was lack of mental discipline. Eventually I dealt with this by taking joyrides every now and then and let my mind just go free, and think about whatever.

Then a few years later, I decided to take up an pseudo atkins diet. My dwelling got even worse. I started reading up on this online, and found out about serotonin, and how an atkins can affect the levels in your brain, and cause "memory torture". I dropped the atkins diet, and now feel much better.

What I do not understand is why I could not control my mind. I would think about the issue for some time, and would feel better about after a bit. But after feeling better, I would still repeat the process later on. Even after telling myself to stop, my mind seemed to have its own mind, and just kept going.

Also I want add so as to not scare anyone off. The issues I dwell on are just negative social interactions. Nothing all that serious, which is why cant understand why I could not control myself.

Last edited by NJ Brazen_3133; 12-16-2012 at 10:05 AM.. Reason: not clear enough
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2012, 01:02 PM

6,952 posts, read 22,680,864 times
Negative interactions usually have a lot of unresolved aspects to them. It is natural to dwell on unresolved issues. For years and years I got in the habit during my commute to and from work to dwell on the negative aspects of my first marriage, even for a long time after the divorce. Then about a year into my next marriage I realized one day that I no longer thought about that any more because I had come to a place that divorcing my first husband was the right decision and I was at peace with breaking the covenant of marriage. I don't know about the serotonin part....but perhaps the reason for obsessing about the negative is simply trying to decipher the mystery of what went wrong.

Old 12-16-2012, 03:59 PM

Yes, obsessing over the mystery of what went wrong may be the reason. But I always felt better after thinking about it for a while. Then the next day, I would go through the cycle. But in my mind, I had resolved it already. I always end up reassured that I did the exact right thing at the moment.

It is almost as if another personality is telling, no you have not satisfied honor, and must take further action to avenge what happened.

I will admit, the thoughts are about incidents in which someone tried to pick on me, or insulted me in some way, or was rude to me.

Old 12-16-2012, 04:31 PM

25,943 posts, read 22,094,372 times
You are just unable to redirect yourself. If you practice that in other venues in your life, you'll be able to apply it. You don't just turn off one set of thoughts but bring in another that puts your current thoughts on the back burner.

Old 12-16-2012, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
You are just unable to redirect yourself. If you practice that in other venues in your life, you'll be able to apply it. You don't just turn off one set of thoughts but bring in another that puts your current thoughts on the back burner.
Can you explain this further, maybe with an example? I am a bit intrigued by what you have written.

Old 12-24-2012, 07:22 PM

I just wanted to add that recently, I have been feeling really, really good. Not that I ever felt that badly, but I guess you could say I liked to keep an edge.

For the past weeks, I have been feeling a renewed sense of well being, and euphoria. I have tried to think about personal negative issues, and the thoughts wont stick at all. I cant even continue the thought process. My mind is either wandering into happier memories now, or I am living more in the moment which is just peaceful, no issues, no worries.

Boy do I wish I had this feeling long ago. The only thing I have changed is that I watch my carbohydrate intake as diligently. Does anyone have an explanation for this?

Old 12-24-2012, 08:47 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,019,531 times
What you describe in your first post could be a form of OCD. Some call it pure O because it's thoughts only without compulsion.

Purely Obsessional OCD - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Or it could be racing thoughts from anxiety.

Racing thoughts - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You talk a lot about your diet, but what about your sleep?

Adequate sleep usually helps calm the mind. Not getting enough sleep aggravate anxiety disorders.

If you have insomnia, try Nyquil's new sleep aid called Zzzzquil. It's not addictive and doesn't develop tolerance.

But your last post indicates that it's all possibly related to Bipolar.

I'll toss out an idea. Have your thyroid checked for hyperthyroidism. It can cause anxiety and euphoria.

Your negative reaction to atkins and positive reaction to low carbs could be relevant to hyperthyroidism too.

It's always best to rule out physical illness/disorders prior to delving into mental illnesses.

Old 12-24-2012, 11:03 PM

Hello Hope,

Thanks for your response. Yes I have wondered if I was an obsessive compulsive. But I always thought that could be cured with a little mental discipline. I have tried just forcing myself to stop thinking, and it never seemed to work. I have thought about seeing a shrink, but as you probably know most people like myself are a bit embarrassed about that. The fact that the Brain operates very similar to a computer is funny, and intriguing at the same time.

That wiki article about the specific type of OCD is fascinating. I am starting to think I should have studied psychology in college. I would have been around many good looking girls too.

Then you mention Bipolar and hyperthyroidism, now I am getting scared.

Also on my last post, I made a typo. I meant to say that I have stopped watching my carbohydrate intake as dilligently.

Old 12-25-2012, 01:07 AM

802 posts, read 1,681,610 times
First thing I thought of was OCD, but usually obsessing over the thoughts does not make me feel better. The thoughts only go away when my brain stops obsessing about it.

Also, what do you mean by negative social interactions? The term is a bit vague. Sometimes after I have a conversation with someone I'll obsess over some of the things I said and if I felt like I said something wrong or if I was awkward, I'll wonder if they noticed/ what they will think of me (irrational BS in other words). For me, these thoughts only linger for a couple minutes so I don't have severe OCD in that regard but it could be a possibility for you depending on what you mean by negative social interactions.

Old 12-25-2012, 10:29 AM

What I am referring to when I say negative social interactions is mostly fighting, arguing, verbal abuse, dealing with harrassment, dealing with a crazed females at work, my own non fulfillment of my potential.

More recently, I have been pondering about a friend who apparently was being a big sissy, and instead of toughing it out, decided he was going to tag along with me. I really did not want to be followed, and preferred to have my freedom in this case. It would have been an excellent experience for me that I feel would have open more doors. But of course he screws everything up. I am still very mad about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology