Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2013, 05:51 PM

3,565 posts, read 7,981,321 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloven View Post
Am dx'd w/Asperger's.
Oh, I see. So I guess the more people there are the more chaotic the cues, etc. are to focus on resulting in a confusion and feeling overwhelmed = an anxious situation? Do you feel like when a person is around you that your attention becomes fixed (locked) on them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2013, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I'm Aspergers, and my life can be divided into three serial stages:

1. Nobody ever heard of Aspergers, and I got thrown into society to sink or swim, and learned to thrash around with my head above water.

2. Found out about Asperers, understood why my social life was the way it was, and confronted it logically.

3. I no longer make an effort to socialize with people, politely excuse myself from their drama, and just try to have a peaceful coexistence.

So, my answer is No, I no longer suffer from social anxiety.
Would you still suffer from social anxiety if you were in a social situation?

How about work?

Is there a difference between interpersonal situations at work VS purely social situations?

Old 06-11-2013, 06:26 PM

10,855 posts, read 6,372,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKAN View Post
Oh, I see. So I guess the more people there are the more chaotic the cues, etc. are to focus on resulting in a confusion and feeling overwhelmed = an anxious situation?
Yes, multiple people=chaos,
too many different entities to keep track of & juggle.
It's like social "motion sickness", being "at sea" interpersonally.
In part, it's due to sensory hypersensitivities as well
(I react poorly to *some* supposedly "normal" stimuli).
Quote:
Do you feel like when a person is around you that your attention becomes fixed (locked) on them?
Not sure-I might need a "for instance", to get what you mean.

Old 06-11-2013, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Yes, multiple people=chaos,
too many different entities to keep track of & juggle.
It's like social "motion sickness", being "at sea" interpersonally.
In part, it's due to sensory hypersensitivities as well
(I react poorly to *some* supposedly "normal" stimuli).
Not sure-I might need a "for instance", to get what you mean.
In other words, can you focus on other stuff when one or more people are around you? Do people in your presence absorb you attention/focus?

Old 06-11-2013, 09:59 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,992,173 times
Quote:
Would you still suffer from social anxiety if you were in a social situation?

How about work?

Is there a difference between interpersonal situations at work VS purely social situations?
No, because I understand my limitations, and I understand how my social behavior runs against the flow. I now know how to just walk away from a social interaction in which I am not able to contribute.

I was already retired when I discovered my Aspergers, so I don't know how it would apply in the workplace. But workplace was always difficult. Tell an Aspergers what you want done and when you want it, and it will be done. Tell an Aspergers how to do something, without bothering to explain the intended end result, and everything will be done wrong. Aspergers don't do flow charts.

Conversely, in a social situation, an Aspie knows what the desired end result is. What I learned, when I knew I was Aspergers, was to fairly early on recognize a social situation that was not going anywhere, and discontinue the pursuit. I've had plenty of successful relationships, both romantic and platonic. It's a matter of recognizing the potential friends that one can click with.

Old 06-11-2013, 10:38 PM

Quote:
In other words, can you focus on other stuff when one or more people are around you?
Do people in your presence absorb you attention/focus?
Well, that gets into being an introvert,
which of course isn't identical to social anxiety or Asperger's
(though a person can have co-morbid symptoms of a number of these).
Overall, I find people distracting & nervousness-inducing.

However, when I've had an SO, then that was someone with whom I was comfortable & could relax around.
But, most other people-as they're utter strangers (unknown quantities/qualities)-scare the heck out of me & induce panic response,
bc. I don't know them, they don't know me, and it's all awkward & confusing & upsetting (to me).

Hope I'm addressing your question, am just not sure what you're getting at.

Old 06-11-2013, 10:48 PM

249 posts, read 312,632 times
Yeah...I've struggled with it through out my life. I take paxil which helps it greatly for me. It's an over preoccupation with self. And falsely projecting thoughts from others that one falsely believes they will be thinking about you in any given situation. When once you think about it. It's absolutely ludicrous to think I know what other people are thinking. It's hugely rooted in a lack of self-confidence,and people who have grown up in dysfunctional families such as I grew up in.

Old 06-12-2013, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
No, because I understand my limitations, and I understand how my social behavior runs against the flow. I now know how to just walk away from a social interaction in which I am not able to contribute.

I was already retired when I discovered my Aspergers, so I don't know how it would apply in the workplace. But workplace was always difficult. Tell an Aspergers what you want done and when you want it, and it will be done. Tell an Aspergers how to do something, without bothering to explain the intended end result, and everything will be done wrong. Aspergers don't do flow charts.

Conversely, in a social situation, an Aspie knows what the desired end result is. What I learned, when I knew I was Aspergers, was to fairly early on recognize a social situation that was not going anywhere, and discontinue the pursuit. I've had plenty of successful relationships, both romantic and platonic. It's a matter of recognizing the potential friends that one can click with.
I understand your first paragraph. The second I'm not sure what you mean. The third sounds like normal people are.

Old 06-12-2013, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Well, that gets into being an introvert,
which of course isn't identical to social anxiety or Asperger's
(though a person can have co-morbid symptoms of a number of these).
Overall, I find people distracting & nervousness-inducing.

However, when I've had an SO, then that was someone with whom I was comfortable & could relax around.
But, most other people-as they're utter strangers (unknown quantities/qualities)-scare the heck out of me & induce panic response,
bc. I don't know them, they don't know me, and it's all awkward & confusing & upsetting (to me).

Hope I'm addressing your question, am just not sure what you're getting at.
The reason I asked is because for the most part having another person in my presence when I'm trying to concentrate or focus on something rattles the heck out of me. It's like I have stage fright or something. From a lot of experience and thinking long and hard, I'm thinking it's a combination of social anxiety and ADHD feeding off one another. It's hard for me to concentrate and focus even when alone, so a person's presence is a huge distraction, which I think is due to the social anxiety. I kind of think if I didn't have social anxiety that people's presence wouldn't be a distraction, but I also kind of think if I weren't ADHD that maybe I could concentrate without the anxiety being a distraction. Practically the only time I can concentrate and really do something in front of somebody is if I'm comfortable with the person in my presence AND I know they know nothing about what I'm doing and thus can't be judging me.

I've thought about having Asperger's, but I don't think I do because I don't have difficulty catching subtle cues or reading facial expressions and body language. I can flow with people and display pretty good social skills when I'm uninhibited by anxiety and/or able to focus/relax. Although, I always have had odd interests (when I was younger it was skylines, population numbers, public transit, maps). I think my problem is really just inability to concentrate and mind going 90 mph (racing thoughts), which are ADHD symptoms, combined with the social anxiety.

Old 06-12-2013, 05:15 PM

Quote:
The reason I asked is because for the most part having another person in my presence when I'm trying to concentrate or focus on something rattles the heck out of me. It's like I have stage fright or something. From a lot of experience and thinking long and hard, I'm thinking it's a combination of social anxiety and ADHD feeding off one another. It's hard for me to concentrate and focus even when alone, so a person's presence is a huge distraction, which I think is due to the social anxiety. I kind of think if I didn't have social anxiety that people's presence wouldn't be a distraction, but I also kind of think if I weren't ADHD that maybe I could concentrate without the anxiety being a distraction. Practically the only time I can concentrate and really do something in front of somebody is if I'm comfortable with the person in my presence AND I know they know nothing about what I'm doing and thus can't be judging me.

I've thought about having Asperger's, but I don't think I do because I don't have difficulty catching subtle cues or reading facial expressions and body language. I can flow with people and display pretty good social skills when I'm uninhibited by anxiety and/or able to focus/relax. Although, I always have had odd interests (when I was younger it was skylines, population numbers, public transit, maps). I think my problem is really just inability to concentrate and mind going 90 mph (racing thoughts), which are ADHD symptoms, combined with the social anxiety.
I would say that when people (groups/crowds of strangers) are around, then I get performance anxiety,
and I'm thrown into what I call "display" mode, where I don't feel my authentic, natural, unaffected self is acceptable socially (have learned that from experience).
Instead I feel pressure to look & behave within certain confines, to "seem normal", to "pass" as neurotypical-even though I eventually fail at that ruse.
I worry about being criticized, being found lacking or noticed to be making a mistake, too-I'm used to feeling insecure, that's the standard to which I've become accustomed.

If it's one of the very few people I'm close with (emotionally), then I don't so much feel this way-
but life in the outside world/public is populated by people I don't know, who don't know me-
and that frightens & intimidates me terribly.
Hence my staying home most of the time.

Just for sake of comprehensiveness, some of my troubles are caused by sensory sensitivities-
smells, sounds, etc., that I find threatening/aversive, so that impacts my ability to tolerate
strange places beyond the comfort (and familiarity, predictability) of my home.

It's hard for me to focus on other people-yet the presence of another person (or persons) tends to distract me significantly, too-
it's hard to explain in such a way as to reconcile these seemingly self-contradictory opposing processes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology