Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2013, 07:17 AM

823 posts, read 1,975,584 times

Advertisements

In the movie Crash all the protagonits learnt a lesson,and finished as better people. Okay, the young white cop ended killing the black guy, but it was an accident, he thought he was pulling out a gun from his pocket instead of the relic.

The mature cop (Matt Dyllon) saves the black girl from getting burned in the car accident, the Latina and Black cops learn more about life and companionship (in fact they sleep together), the Mexican locksmith ends up being friends with the Persian guy who wanted to kill him, Sandra Bullok ends up cuddling her Latina maid , the other Black guy finds the van full of chained slaves and instead of profiting from the situation, he freed them, and "does the right thing".Opss, I forgot the Black director whose wife was fondled by Matt Dyllon, he ended up having some sort of New Age Experience with some children dancing around the burning car at night,it looked very spiritual an cool.

But there was a big exception in this good vibrations feast: the Chinaman. He begins the movie as a rotten piece of crap who deals with slaves, and ends up the movie in the same way, telling his wife to go to cash the check, like that was the lessons he learnt about slave dealing "go to my jacket, baby. There's a check in the pocket. Cash it". So touching. So romantic. The wife, by the way, is just a female version of him. No redeeming qualities at all.

Ok, it's a movie, and since there were so many characters, there must be some rotten apple in the basket. But it did not seem randon, it made me think: is this some sort of political statement?

China is becoming the next superpower, could movies like Crash (Oscar winner, by the way), by part of a subtle media campaign to make all things Asian look shady?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2013, 01:17 PM

4,761 posts, read 14,294,951 times
Propaganda in movies is nothing new...
History of Information » Film as Propaganda in America during WWII

And you can have your product shown in a movie for the right price...
Product placement - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Since they produce movies to make money, I imagine anything could be "for sale" including showing someone or a particular group in a bad/good light?

Also movies are written by people. Maybe the person who wrote the above movie may have recently made several purchases of poorly manufactured products made in China? And perhaps decided to "get even"? Most people I know are quite ticked at the poor quality or dangerous Chinese products in the stores.

Or maybe the writer belongs to a union? And is advancing the cause of the unions in the U.S? (Many jobs going to China and thus causing the downfall of unions in the U.S.)

Also large corporations have a big hand in movie making. I don't see any motivation for them to bad mouth China??? But they certainly could if they so choose. The test of large corporations or the government doing something like that would be to see the same things in many movies.

Other than that, movies are fantasy. Movie writers like to copy things. Maybe the writer grew up with seeing a lot a "Red China" bad guys? Might not be intentional at all!

All sorts of possibilities!

Old 01-28-2013, 01:38 PM

When I saw Saruman in Lord of the Rings I thought they were targeting Muslim fundamentalists. Long beards, long robes, hate in their eyes...I am sure Sarumans looks was a conscious choice.

Another series where can seen a lot of political or psychological stuff masquerading as fiction is in Texas Ranger with Chuck Norris.

You can see all the effort they make in order to portray an emotionaly frozen fascist as a functional police officer.

Old 01-28-2013, 03:22 PM

13,583 posts, read 15,672,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javier77 View Post
In the movie Crash all the protagonits learnt a lesson,and finished as better people. Okay, the young white cop ended killing the black guy, but it was an accident, he thought he was pulling out a gun from his pocket instead of the relic.

The mature cop (Matt Dyllon) saves the black girl from getting burned in the car accident, the Latina and Black cops learn more about life and companionship (in fact they sleep together), the Mexican locksmith ends up being friends with the Persian guy who wanted to kill him, Sandra Bullok ends up cuddling her Latina maid , the other Black guy finds the van full of chained slaves and instead of profiting from the situation, he freed them, and "does the right thing".Opss, I forgot the Black director whose wife was fondled by Matt Dyllon, he ended up having some sort of New Age Experience with some children dancing around the burning car at night,it looked very spiritual an cool.

But there was a big exception in this good vibrations feast: the Chinaman. He begins the movie as a rotten piece of crap who deals with slaves, and ends up the movie in the same way, telling his wife to go to cash the check, like that was the lessons he learnt about slave dealing "go to my jacket, baby. There's a check in the pocket. Cash it". So touching. So romantic. The wife, by the way, is just a female version of him. No redeeming qualities at all.

Ok, it's a movie, and since there were so many characters, there must be some rotten apple in the basket. But it did not seem randon, it made me think: is this some sort of political statement?

China is becoming the next superpower, could movies like Crash (Oscar winner, by the way), by part of a subtle media campaign to make all things Asian look shady?
Absolutely. When I first saw the film, I was astonished at just how hatefully it portrayed Asians. In fact, after seeing it I picked up a phone to call the police and report a hate crime against Asians!

Seriously, your supposition is absolutely ludicrous. Did you stop to consider that the issue was that of slavery, rather than being Asian? And so then, who should have been cast as a human trafficker...an Italian? An Irishman? An Eskimo?

BTW, are you as equally concerned that the slave owners in Django are portrayed as White men?

Old 01-28-2013, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
Absolutely. When I first saw the film, I was astonished at just how hatefully it portrayed Asians. In fact, after seeing it I picked up a phone to call the police and report a hate crime against Asians!

Seriously, your supposition is absolutely ludicrous. Did you stop to consider that the issue was that of slavery, rather than being Asian? And so then, who should have been cast as a human trafficker...an Italian? An Irishman? An Eskimo?

BTW, are you as equally concerned that the slave owners in Django are portrayed as White men?

I haven´t seen the Django,but I guess all the characters will develop their personalities during the film and will grow espiritually. That's the point of fiction, show nuances and shades. That's why Texas Ranger fails as a work of fiction and is just political propaganda.

All the characters in Crash did grow espiritually except for the Chinamen. I just found it odd, it did not seem random.

BTW, I don´t think the director of Crash gave a hoot about slavery, it was used as shock value.

Old 01-28-2013, 06:31 PM

4,761 posts, read 14,294,951 times
Quote:
...Another series where can seen a lot of political or psychological stuff masquerading as fiction is in Texas Ranger...
If you are thinking that someone, some group, a corporation, or a government is intentionally placing political propaganda or "mind altering" psychological things in movies...

Think about WHY they would do that? What motivation would they have to do such a thing?

And who would they be targeting and to what end?

Also be aware that thousands of people would be involved with the making of various movies. Anyone doing something like that for "sinister" reasons would be exposed with a quickness!

Heck the department of defense has trouble keeping things secret and look at all the security they have! And every little thing which goes on in Hollywood seems to be front page news at your local grocery store checkout line...

Old 01-29-2013, 02:01 AM

13,583 posts, read 15,672,061 times
Quote:
I haven´t seen the Django,but I guess all the characters will develop their personalities during the film and will grow espiritually. That's the point of fiction, show nuances and shades. That's why Texas Ranger fails as a work of fiction and is just political propaganda.

All the characters in Crash did grow espiritually except for the Chinamen. I just found it odd, it did not seem random.

BTW, I don´t think the director of Crash gave a hoot about slavery, it was used as shock value.
I saw the film in 2008 and I cannot recall how much screen time the Chinaman received. However, I do believe he was more of a peripheral character rather than somebody the story focused on as much as the characters who changed.

Old 01-29-2013, 04:26 AM

11,337 posts, read 11,048,990 times
Quote:

Don't be ridiculous. And the good white cop (Ryan Philippe) ends up bad. Killing the kid (Don Cheadle's son if I remember) was an accident, but didn't he then drag the kid into the swamp and attempt to cover up the murder? Was that part of a subtle media campaign to denigrate whites, who will soon become a new minority group? Don't be ridiculous.

By the way, Crash was splendid filmmaking. Loved it. It was reminiscent of another movie: Grand Canyon.

Old 01-29-2013, 07:45 AM

Ryan Philippe was a good guy who made a big mistake. He stopped to pick up a black kid in a white area, then he noticed the kid had mud on his pants, and is jacket was torn, and some suspicious stuff, and the kid said he was coming from a hokey game (which for some reason is associated with whites), he even said he wanted to be a golie, which sounds like teasing, so that's why he got all paranoid when the black kid reached inside his pockets.

I think that reaction was based on culture, American culture of shooting first and ask later, and be afraid of everybody, rather than the personal mindset of the guy.

Obviously is wrong killing people, but it was an accident,and there was little to do for the kid afterwards. It looked like the incident would scarr this guy for the rest of his life.

The Chinaman, in contrast, did not look affected at all by the fate of the slaves.

Old 01-30-2013, 01:00 AM

4,078 posts, read 5,418,521 times
Quote:

Most certainly. I didn't like the movie. I give it a 2/10. Thandy Newton and Matt Dylon did a great job.

No Asian person I know calls Caucasian women "fat cows". That's the last thing I'd think about.

Sounds like the writer of the movie was projecting his/her true feelings about race/gender in his/her own failed attempts to illuminate issues of prejudice and social injustices into contemporary Hollywood films.

I took it as smug attempt to appear "open" to discussing racial issues. The lack of dialogue and apparent bias was enough for me to laugh at the fact how mass appeal can totally win over and gloss over obvious contradictions to the entire film.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology