Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2013, 07:17 PM

611 posts, read 1,455,833 times

Advertisements

Are all men (for the sake of this thread- I'm just addressing men) who physically abuse women sociopaths? Sociopaths are incqble of loving, so how do you explain an abuser who clearly loves his bio family, but feels its permissable to hit women?
Do they ever really feel sorry for their actions? A counselor I know who administers DV offender classes said that its rare she is able to break through to these men & that most of them BS their way thru the classes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2013, 04:30 AM

956 posts, read 1,767,025 times
The men and their MOTHERS didnt teach them respect.

Old 04-23-2013, 10:58 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,948,301 times
No, I'm sure there a lot of wannabe sociopaths, who aren't really afflicted with the pathology, but admire the lifestyle of the sociopath and seek to emulate him. Or are just basically selfish and seek a domestic situation in which they can exercise this ego. I won't go into a lot of clinical detail, but just toss out that hypothesis for discussion.

Old 04-24-2013, 01:52 AM

23,218 posts, read 29,031,323 times
There's generally 2 sets of fingerprints on any "murder" weapon, no angels running around this planet with wings, at least I haven't seen any! And, increasingly, you hear of men being physically abused by women!

There may be other factors at work here, like projection! And extreme forms of passive-aggressive behavior, which, subconsciously can bring out the anger/violence in others.

I keep a healthy distance from passive-aggressive types, as too many bring my blood to a boil!

Complicating the issue, how many women battered by husbands, go from one to another!!! Now where's the explanation for that!!!

Old 04-24-2013, 02:13 PM

417 posts, read 824,902 times
i doubt it. all it takes to be a domestic abuser is to be angry enough, resent your partner enough, and have little respect for the health and well being of others in the immediate sense. lack of acknowledgement for necessary societal boundaries turns people nasty.

Old 04-24-2013, 03:01 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,892,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
No, I'm sure there a lot of wannabe sociopaths, who aren't really afflicted with the pathology, but admire the lifestyle of the sociopath and seek to emulate him. Or are just basically selfish and seek a domestic situation in which they can exercise this ego. I won't go into a lot of clinical detail, but just toss out that hypothesis for discussion.
You're right! I've met several people who were sociopath wanna-bes. They thought it sounded "cool" and "dangerous." Or they were very defended and wished they had no vulnerabilities and saw the sociopath as something to aspire to.
But most true sociopaths don't have really deep emotions or emotional needs. So the people with extreme anger problems, and the extreme interpersonal/emotional needs that domestic abusers have, aren't likely to be sociopaths, who tend to be calm and cool and calculating.

Old 04-24-2013, 11:26 PM

611 posts, read 1,455,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
This has me thinking. I've never been a victim in any prior relationship, I don't fit the meek victim profile, I'm desperate to understand from a psychological aspect, how I got involved with someone so devious. I have to thoroughly understand the mindset of a batterer in order to be aware of any future red flags. Your statement about some batterers possibly emulating the behavior of a true sociopath is interesting. Either way, after what I've been through, I don't think these men can be rehabilitated. The sense of superiority and entitlement is profound. I am still baffled how someone was routinely able to convince me that I was solely responsible for their actions. I'm the poster child for people taking responsiblity for their choices/actions. I appreciate your comment.

Old 04-25-2013, 03:35 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,275,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duttygal86 View Post
Are all men (for the sake of this thread- I'm just addressing men) who physically abuse women sociopaths? Sociopaths are incqble of loving, so how do you explain an abuser who clearly loves his bio family, but feels its permissable to hit women?
Do they ever really feel sorry for their actions? A counselor I know who administers DV offender classes said that its rare she is able to break through to these men & that most of them BS their way thru the classes.
Not at all..most are probably no where near being a "sociopath"..Men who physically abuse their mates have been damaged themselves. Maybe they've grown up with it,(dad beat mom) and think it's the norm. Maybe they were abused themselves by a women when they were young, and grew up with an unconcious hatred towards them...Maybe their was physical violence in the home all through their young lives....Many men who abuse their mates profess to (and probably really DO)love them dearly.

Old 04-25-2013, 04:55 PM

1,104 posts, read 919,241 times
There are many factors that prevent partners from leaving their relationship. There's a really great article here about how a partner remains in a relationship not that they 'enjoy' the emotional and physical degradation, but because of the many, many difficulties they face in leaving. That alone enables the abused to remain comfortable in their position within an abusive relationship.

Old 04-26-2013, 04:33 AM

18,526 posts, read 18,741,834 times
When I was younger in Glasgow many women were beaten by their drunken husbands.. it was a way of life for some... kids suffered too in overcrowded houses where they would see their mother being beaten... back then women didnt have the police behind them as it was seen as a domestic situation... and the husband wasnt arrested, but sometimes asked to leave the house till he calmed down...... the women with children had nowhere to go... so had to endure this lifestyle. if you can call it a life.... I saw one of my aunts suffer from a drunk husband who battered her every weekend.. how she never killed him in his sleep is beyond me...women didnt get the help they can get now with housing etc..and up until the late fifties I read that the women lost their children to the father. so that would have been enough for any woman to stay and face the music.. I often wonder how anyone can be as evil to make the whole family sad and miserable.. maybe it comes down to being angry at someone else but the kicking dog is there and wont fight back....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology