Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2013, 01:43 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,445,385 times

Advertisements

I am a terrible procrastinator when it comes to doing things I don't want to do...like spring cleaning. Today, I am going thru my closet, and it is terribly painful. I keep clothing I have not worn in five years...come on, if I have not needed to wear navy blue heels in five years, I seriously doubt I will need them. But, for some reason I keep them.

Why? This is hardly "hoarding,"....or is it?

Anyone else going through Spring Cleaning Angst?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2013, 01:52 AM

5,040 posts, read 3,350,298 times
I have this a bit and one of the things I try to do is read about other people doing their spring cleaning/decluttering and then doing it myself for a half hour with the purpose of really getting rid of things. I have had a household for almost 33 years and eventhough I moved many times and got rid of things I still have lots to go through. It is a sort of emotional attachment... ?

Old 04-13-2013, 07:03 AM

51,175 posts, read 36,860,247 times
Are you ADD? I am, and things that seem easy for others (like spring cleaning) are more of a struggle for me. I have had to find ways around it that work for me. Take things in small bites - for instance rather than cleaning out the entire closet, vow to find just ONE thing to throw out, donate or take to a consignment shop during the commercial break when watching TV. Once you get over the hump it will get easier!

Another thing I do I call "timer method", and it's probably the most helpful tool in my toolbox. I set a timer for a period of time, say 25 minutes, and do whatever I want, watch TV, play online, whatever. When it goes off, I re-set it for 10 minutes and do something productive, anything - go through the mail, clean out one kitchen drawer, take out the trash, again, whatever. It is easy to do something for only 10 minutes, and at the end of the day I find it adds up and I've really gotten a lot done. That success, looking around at how much nicer things look, makes me feel good, and that in turn helps me to do even more.

Also, try not to put too much pressure on yourself. Once I was cleaning out a closet and putting things in groups, donate, keep, trash...there were some items though that I couldn't decide on. Rather than let that indecision paralyze me and sabotage all my efforts, I gave myself permission to put the things I couldn't decide on back in the closet, to be dealt with at some later date. That enabled me to move on and finish the task (where in the past I might've given up and gone back to the TV in frustration).

3rd, realize it's okay for this to be a struggle for you. Forgiveness of my flaws allows me to get more done because I don't waste energy thinking I "should" be able to do things the way other people do - I get them done in my own way, and that's okay.

This is a great website that helps with procrastination: FlyLady.net If you sign up for alerts, she'll send you reminders for little chores to do at random times during the day ("go spend 5 minutes shining your sink"), and she has ready made but easily achievable "to do" lists. Here's an example of a before bed list from the site:

1. Lay out your clothes for tomorrow
  2. Take a few minutes for yourself
  3. Check your Calendar for Tomorrow’s Events
  4. Spend 2 minutes clearing off your Hot Spots
  5. Shine your sink
  6. Wash your face, moisturize, brush your teeth and floss
  7. Go to bed at a decent hour
On the website, first read the "31 Beginner Baby Steps" section. You are not alone.

Old 04-13-2013, 09:17 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,325,059 times
I say to myself... "I can always get a new one if I need it again."

That helps to get rid of things I have not used for several years.

Old 04-15-2013, 05:41 PM

10,855 posts, read 6,391,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
I am a terrible procrastinator when it comes to doing things I don't want to do...like spring cleaning. Today, I am going thru my closet, and it is terribly painful. I keep clothing I have not worn in five years...come on, if I have not needed to wear navy blue heels in five years, I seriously doubt I will need them. But, for some reason I keep them.

Why? This is hardly "hoarding,"....or is it?

Anyone else going through Spring Cleaning Angst?
On the one hand, it is your choice whether you wish to engage in some decluttering, so I'm not gonna' take a stance on what/when/how you ought to do anything.

On the other hand, I feel similarly to what you describe. I have great difficulty separating myself from old familiar things, esp. since I couldn't afford to replace items (should I rid myself of them).

Re: spring cleaning, I did vacuum today (I won't scandalize y'all by saying how long it's been since I did that).

These are some related blogs from which I draw strength, to try to encourage myself-
Clutter Busting with Brooks Palmer
Unclutterer: Daily tips on how to organize your home and office.
http://www.365lessthings.com/
Archives | Becoming Minimalist
There are numerous techniques & strategies-keep the ones that work for you & discard the ones that don't.

Old 04-16-2013, 12:28 PM

9,915 posts, read 9,641,671 times
What helps me - take EVERYTHING out of the closet and go thru it. For some reason, its easier to clear a closet out, maybe coz you can see everything. I just put everything on my bed, because I dont have a kitchen table. its easier that way. i know, sucks. but i just moved and im feeling the same things as i unpack my stuff.

Old 04-16-2013, 03:57 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,329,960 times
Try and convince yourself that anytime you bring something into the house you'll also bring something else out.

Old 04-16-2013, 10:43 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,285,041 times
I do get rid of things, but I don't feel guilt if I keep things either. Perhaps the anxiety you feel is guilt. You feel you should do spring cleaning, or get rid of older things, but you have mixed feelings. I don't know why you have to do this, unless your closet is crammed tight.

If that is the case, promise yourself you'll get rid of, say, 10 things today, and move on. You can throw out or donate 10 more things next week.

If your house if filled to the brim with stuff; if you can't hang up your clothes but you keep buying more; if you can't bear to part with anything--then yes I'd say you are a hoarder.

Old 04-17-2013, 11:09 AM

9,915 posts, read 9,641,671 times
I just moved, to a smaller apartment, but the other factors about it made it worth it.

I now have to downsize my stuff a bit. Like my decorations. I like them all... but there is no room for them. how do you get thru having to toss out stuff you love? I suppose if I can only keep 5 things for example, and I have 10 things, I may have to get rid of the 5 things that I love a tiny bit less

Old 04-17-2013, 12:18 PM

3,004 posts, read 6,291,888 times
I cleaned out my closet, but it was pretty easy.

I still need to clean the garage though, that's a bigger deal for me. It's not even that bad, I've just been lazy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology