Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2013, 09:58 PM

2,159 posts, read 2,811,156 times

Advertisements

I found this small study. Childless Men More Depressed Than Childless Women, Study Finds

It is a small sample size, but the outcome was significant enough, I'd lay bets they'll do a larger follow up study to see it it's true.

Honestly, I've always presumed that men who don't have kids, are of the childfree variety. Probably sexist of me. I read some comments and some topics came up that I haven't given much thought about. How exactly does a guy have a baby if he doesn't have a significant other? I suppose they could adopt, but if they want a child they are genetically related to, they'd need to go to India and pay for a surrogate mother. That sounds tricky.

Do you think around the same number of men want kids as women do? Why would they be more depressed when/if they don't have children? Or do you think no discussion can be had until a larger study is performed?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2013, 10:15 PM

15,013 posts, read 21,646,900 times
What is the difference between childless and childfree?

Old 05-22-2013, 10:18 PM

2,560 posts, read 2,638,242 times
I thought this was about American guys I was like no way then I saw this was a British study so it's understandable and believable in my opinion.

A guy can have a baby without a significant other through surrogacy or egg donor little difference from a gal doing surrogacy or sperm donor.

I think the same number of guys think they want kids as the number of gals that want kids. Possibly guys are depressed when/if they don't have children because it's seen as an evaluation on his sperm aka his virility.

Old 05-22-2013, 10:20 PM

1,904 posts, read 2,986,858 times
Misleading title. It should state that Childless men are "more likely to be depressed", not "more depressed".

Old 05-22-2013, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by srjth View Post
People often choose to not have children and are happy with their decision. That is termed childfree.

Those that did not actively choose to not have children are childless.

These are two very different situations.

Old 05-22-2013, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raging-Hetero View Post
Misleading title. It should state that Childless men are "more likely to be depressed", not "more depressed".
Whoops! Sorrry. I just copied it from the article.

Old 05-22-2013, 10:24 PM

1,904 posts, read 2,986,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monemi View Post
Whoops! Sorrry. I just copied it from the article.
I know.

Old 05-22-2013, 10:35 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,559,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srjth View Post
Choice.

Childfree is a term embraced by a group who actively choose not to be parents (may or may not be fairly militant about it).

Childless is typically used to denote people who may want to have children, but for whatever reason, have not been able to.

Old 05-23-2013, 12:33 PM

44,349 posts, read 20,053,982 times
Moved from Relationships to Psychology.

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 05-24-2013, 10:11 AM

5,208 posts, read 4,669,168 times
Even though some men would never want the responsibility of having a kid, the fact that no woman has ever wanted to have a kid with you is still a very huge hit on your ego and manhood. They really should dive into the reasons why these men are depressed. I bet these men also have very little success in relationships.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology