Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2013, 07:41 PM

3,565 posts, read 7,980,138 times

Advertisements

^Folks keep mentioning this "my girl done left me and my dog done died" or similar bit and they always do in conversations involving country music. They present as though they know what they speak, yet they never pinpoint or give specifics. Personally, over the past year I used Pandora to listen to country music starting in the 90's going gradually back through the 70's and I never ran into much of that stuff, especially not in a way that it ruled the genre as implied. I could be wrong, but it seems like that point (among others) is parroted by folks who really don't know what they're talking about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2013, 12:24 AM

1,755 posts, read 2,997,475 times
I don't care if people like it and I usually don't bring it up since I have friends who like it but I do dislike the sound. It's so annoying! And the beat...I don't like the beat. Something about it doesn't make me want to move, it just makes me want to move away.

Old 06-19-2013, 10:10 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,865,381 times
I think it's also a rural/urban difference. Most people living in the city don't like it. But it's very popular in rural and small town areas. And often in the small towns on the outskirts of large cities.

If you ever find yourself driving in the country, be SURE to take some county music with you. It will suddenly make all the sense in the world to you. And nothing else will sound as good.

Old 06-20-2013, 07:08 AM

1,755 posts, read 2,997,475 times
Someone repped me here but to answer their question, I have mixed feelings on classical music. Sometimes I like it, other times not.

Old 06-23-2013, 02:59 PM

50,795 posts, read 36,486,545 times
It doesn't make me uncomfortable, and I like a lot of it. But I have to say t offers a lot to be made fun of, and I think that is really what it is, rather than discomfort. When I've gone to country concerts with my nieces, I see couples dressed in matching American flag shirts, young men who've never been farther south than south Jersey wearing full-length confederate flags as capes, things like that I believe are what people think is silly about it.

Old 06-23-2013, 08:54 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,254,198 times
I like old country alright - pre Shania Twain that is. I abhor today's country, which is pretty much rock with a twang.

Old 06-23-2013, 09:04 PM

861 posts, read 1,456,082 times
I think it's because people are trying to find another reason to bash the South. I love country music and I don't care what anyone thinks.

Old 06-24-2013, 09:07 AM

4,241 posts, read 7,176,546 times
I like bluegrass and old pre-bluegrass & folk music, but dont like modern-day country.

I think its because bluegrass is faster, more intense, and modern-day country music is slower and more "produced" somehow. Actually, for me, except for certain artists that have caught my ear from time to time, it's boring.

In terms of lyrics both types can get pretty maudlin, so I can't say it's the subject matter.

Old 06-27-2013, 01:52 PM

9,614 posts, read 21,270,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
I love music but tend to gravitate toward rock (as in Steely Dan, Daryl Hall, AC/DC, etc)
You got a problem with John Oates?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaFiveTwo View Post
I don't like it because it's all midrange and grown men having nasal and twangy voice fits.

Very hard on the ears.
Except that the vast majority of country music isn't like that at all. That stereotype comes from the days when most country radio programming consisted of bad local bands playing live in the studio using cheap instruments and vocalists singing through their noses in a feeble attempt to sound somewhat like the big artists of the day. Today, other than a few exceptions like the douchebaggy Eric Church who sing this way because they think it makes them cool, you'd be hard pressed to find any "nasal and twangy voice fits" on country radio.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
It doesn't make me uncomfortable, and I like a lot of it. But I have to say t offers a lot to be made fun of, and I think that is really what it is, rather than discomfort. When I've gone to country concerts with my nieces, I see couples dressed in matching American flag shirts, young men who've never been farther south than south Jersey wearing full-length confederate flags as capes, things like that I believe are what people think is silly about it.
I believe you've hit the nail on the head. I think a lot of people are unwilling to even give it a listen because of the image displayed by many of country music's most rabid fans.

Old 07-01-2013, 07:17 PM

6,616 posts, read 4,882,033 times
I rarely like it, but only some of it makes me uncomfortable. When sung by people like Hank Williams, Jr. people I perceive as embodying a redneck lifestyle that I personally find intimidating.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology