Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2013, 01:07 PM

3,565 posts, read 7,974,728 times

Advertisements

Country music seems to make a lot of people uncomfortable. People often feel the need to go out of the way and make sure to communicate they don't like country music, even when the genre isn't otherwise brought up; often times in online profiles or when answering what kind of music they like, people will provide an answer something similar to "anything but country". I've always thought there's something psychological going on, but I can't quite put my finger on it. People generally don't think much about things they don't like and are simply indifferent to them, that is unless those things bother them somehow - which is a phenomenon we see with homosexuality, fraternities and sororities, jocks, and Nascar. I hope what I mean with that last sentence is clear. All of those things are stuff people have feelings about and feel the need to talk about even when they supposedly don't like them. Anyway, so what gives? Any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2013, 05:06 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,854,254 times
In terms of "popular" music it is often the only genre that deals with positive morality, family love, traditional values, Christianity, etc. ...Of course that is in addition to the songs about divorce, drinking, death, etc.

It represents the wisdom of their parents and grandparents.

Young people are mostly lacking in judgment, lacking in wisdom, etc. They want to REBEL against those positive things. So they will say that they don't like country just to make sure other people know they are "cool".

If it ONLY dealt with drinking, divorce, death, etc, then I am certain they would be absolutely fine with acknowledging their fondness of it.

Old 06-16-2013, 05:19 PM

22,284 posts, read 21,713,925 times
It's a way of filtering out rednecks/uneducated country bumpkins I guess.

Old 06-17-2013, 07:00 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times
It's just another form of snobbery in most cases. Folks have never really LISTENED to country music and they associate it with what ZENTROPA said - uneducated bumpkins - which is absurd, but that is how a portion of people think: in very shallow, stereotypical ways.

People who are quick to list all the things they "can't stand" are those I run from, lol. Most of life is a matter of "pick and choose," and some people think that participating in certain behaviors makes them "cool" -- and other things will make them look "uncool." Why they are so concerned with surface appearances has to do w/ their own lack of confidence about who they are, at their core. Driving a particular car "sends a message" (is their thinking) as does wearing a type of clothing, living in a type of neighborhood, etc. Superficial and some deep desire to fit in, I would suppose . . . and some need to demonize anyone who does not adhere to that list of "what makes a person cool," lol.

These folks also don't appreciate being challenged about anything they "think." It is really sad b/c the way we grow and learn and become a full self-actualized person is by exploring, testing our own limits, and overcoming stereotypical thinking.

Anyone who is that "precious" about all the things he/she does and doesn't "like" (and what they say they can't tolerate) is very rigid and has fragile self-esteem.

Please do not misread what I am writing - I can feel someone reading this and taking offense b/c they genuinely do not like country music. I am trying to answer OP's question b/c if you read carefully, you will see he/she is asking about more than simply "disliking" country music. He is saying that he has noticed some people make sweeping generalizations and demonize whole activities/pursuits. He could have substituted "country music" with some other pursuit (or trigger) such as a person saying he/she would "never be caught dead" in a particular type of car.

Old 06-17-2013, 07:56 AM

27,543 posts, read 28,630,498 times
Musical taste is completely subjective. I'm very exposed to many different kinds of music. I like some country music, but a lot of it I don't like. Not my cup of tea.

I'll take good old rock and roll music over country any day of the week.

Old 06-17-2013, 08:19 AM

21,827 posts, read 25,102,289 times
I'm okay with folk/alt country, bluegrass, Americana... but your stereotypical Florida Georgia Line... yeah, not so much. The twangy crap is like nails on a chalk board. I mean, Ryan Adams is still pop music and pop music is always pretty simplistic.... but Florida Georgia Line is basically a boy band. There's pop music and pop music.

Old 06-17-2013, 08:27 AM

513 posts, read 736,560 times
Default I was raised in the South, Alabama to be exact

-- and I've never particularly cared for country music, although some of it is okay. Several people I used to work with from other parts of the US thought because I was southern, I must like country music and proceeded to talk about some performer or other--they seemed genuinely amazed that it really wasn't my cup of tea.

I dated someone who was originally from Tennessee and felt anyone who didn't care of country music must be a snob and probably lying to boot. He wouldn't listen to anything else and thought other people's preferences in music were pretentious. One time this former boyfriend changed all the presets on MY car radio to country stations! If I had switched his preset to my favorites in his car, he would have been livid. One time he looked over my CD collection and discovered I really did like oldie rock and classical music mostly. He finally "got" that I truly liked other types of music (especially classical), bought them, and wasn't just putting on "airs."

Old 06-17-2013, 08:28 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,280,752 times
I've seen attitudes towards country music change throughout the years (70's to present).

At times many people I knew hated country music. At other times many people liked it and listened to it along with rock. (Note country music changed when Shania Twain came along and gave it a more popular sound.)

Also there are regional differences you will notice if you travel around the US a bit. You might drive into one town/city and all they are playing anywhere is country music. Go elsewhere and they are playing something different.

And then there is the current batch of "young people". No telling what they will like or not like at any given time.

I've actually seen a LOT more people dislike "Rap music" or whatever you call it.

Old 06-17-2013, 08:43 AM

27,543 posts, read 28,630,498 times
BTW, I like a lot of southern rock bands. But I don't consider that to be country music.

Actually, country music nowadays is simply watered down rock music with southern sounding vocals.

Old 06-17-2013, 08:51 AM

29,737 posts, read 34,357,220 times
I think rap/hip-hop makes more people uncomfortable than country music, actually. People just like to draw lines in the sand about things that they like, so certain people are vehemently against Top 40 music, or classical, or jazz, or death metal, whatever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology