Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2013, 10:19 AM

45 posts, read 92,700 times

Advertisements

I remember that song in the early '80s, followed by the movie. But I thought it was sort of a joke outside the female version of the 'surfer dewd' accent of CA.

Nope. I hear girls all the time with that sort of way of talking. How did we arrive here?

Moon Zappa "Valley Girl" Solid Gold 1982.flv - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2013, 10:29 AM

943 posts, read 1,004,987 times
Yesh, we do hear it a lot here in California. I think we do that when we are talking to friends, um, I do, and I'm a LOT over 20, we do it when we aren't thinking about what we're talking about and we're feeling laid back.
Sometimes we do it when we don't care for the person we're talking to and we just, like, want them to go away.
We don't do it when we are trying to be professional, intellectual, or even sexy.
Back in the 80s and 90s Valley Girl had a dictionary sized secret vocab that you really couldn't know all of unless you were from the valley, most of it was codeword for how loser other people were.

Old 08-22-2013, 10:31 AM

45 posts, read 92,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foclampt View Post
Yesh, we do hear it a lot here in California. I think we do that when we are talking to friends, um, I do, and I'm a LOT over 20, we do it when we aren't thinking about what we're talking about and we're feeling laid back.
Sometimes we do it when we don't care for the person we're talking to and we just, like, want them to go away.
We don't do it when we are trying to be professional, intellectual, or even sexy.
Back in the 80s and 90s Valley Girl had a dictionary sized secret vocab that you really couldn't know all of unless you were from the valley, most of it was codeword for how loser other people were.
Yeah but in California it's expected. Like the flat vowels of the Midwest or the nasally folks on the East Coast.

But hearing girls say "OMIGAWWWD!!!!" all the time? Like OMG!

Old 08-22-2013, 01:19 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,364,775 times
Remember that California is a very large state with the most people. This is not a California issue. This is a Valley issue as in a segment of the City of Los Angeles. Even there I have hardly heard Valley talk get too much out of hand anymore. If others are following an old order from another time that is on them. It is not expected that anyone talk like that in California. That is a large misconception that an entire state is speaking in a given speach pattern. Not the case.

Old 08-22-2013, 01:28 PM

454 posts, read 794,432 times
LOL thought i was the only one noticing that type of speech :

Like, um, i was, like, taaxting my fraands about this saaxy guy i maat, and like, they saad '"are you kaadding"?"

(I was texting my friends about this sexy guy i met, and they said 'are you kidding'?)

this is not common only to California... i hear it on tv programs, out of state news broadcasts also

Old 08-22-2013, 01:44 PM

372 posts, read 599,952 times
I'm an 18 year girl and I don't talk like that, not every young girl does. I can't stand it though.

Old 08-22-2013, 02:01 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,914,444 times
Related to this California-speak tendency is the tendency to end every sentence on an up-note, like it's a question.

"So I was out with this guy? And we went to that new bar on Center Street? ...and at the end of the night he took me home? and then I like jumped him?"

But I even hear professionals using this tone, even when giving professional talks:

"We made some plans to alter the program and incorporate more substance abuse services? ...And this led to more involvement by the clients with co-occurring mental health and substance use disorders? and we saw a decrease in perceived stigma?..."

I think people picked it up from TV (most TV comes from CA, no?) and then it spreads around among people like some kind of verbal herpes.

Once you pay attention to it, you'll hear it all the time and it's really annoying. I kind of wish I never took the "red pill" and noticed it, and I could just go back to the "matrix" of ignorance and not be aware of it anymore. It makes my ears bleed? you know?

Old 08-22-2013, 02:14 PM

88,637 posts, read 84,911,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
Related to this California-speak tendency is the tendency to end every sentence on an up-note, like it's a question.

"So I was out with this guy? And we went to that new bar on Center Street? ...and at the end of the night he took me home? and then I like jumped him?"

But I even hear professionals using this tone, even when giving professional talks:

"We made some plans to alter the program and incorporate more substance abuse services? ...And this led to more involvement by the clients with co-occurring mental health and substance use disorders? and we saw a decrease in perceived stigma?..."

I think people picked it up from TV (most TV comes from CA, no?) and then it spreads around among people like some kind of verbal herpes.

Once you pay attention to it, you'll hear it all the time and it's really annoying. I kind of wish I never took the "red pill" and noticed it, and I could just go back to the "matrix" of ignorance and not be aware of it anymore. It makes my ears bleed? you know?
I had a niece who spoke like that when she was a teenager with that question mark at the end of every sentence. HATED that. She outgrew it, thank God, but if someone started talking that way at work, I think I'd have to say something.

Old 08-22-2013, 02:23 PM

8,635 posts, read 9,147,998 times
I hear this kind of talk more so now than in the 1980s. Recently I've mentioned this to a few people "what's with this baby talk?" I hear so called professionals speak this way on the phone, TV and co-workers. The age ranges from 10 years old to nearly 40 it seems. It sounds childish and immature, ear screaching.

Old 08-22-2013, 02:45 PM

22,278 posts, read 21,750,034 times
I think the vocal fry is worse. It is so habit forming, I have heard young people's speech patterns change almost overnight. Hearing men do it is just . It actually hurts my ears.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology