Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-25-2013, 04:22 PM

1,911 posts, read 3,025,862 times

Advertisements

Hey all,

I wanted to know if there were any fellow sufferers of misophonia here or if any of you are aware of the condition. In case you don't know what misophonia is;

MISOPHONIA UK - Home page

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/09/06/he...nnoy.html?_r=0

http://m.psychologytoday.com/blog/br...veryday-sounds

It's a condition that has only been formally identified fairly recently. I didn't know about it myself until I googled some of the symptoms I have associated with the disorder.

For me, the triggers are gum snapping, gum cracking, eating noises, loud typing, finger drumming and even certain consonants. These noises can literally make me rage inside and I usually have to leave the room. The biggest trigger area is at work where I work in an open plan office full of trigger noises. Worst part is that I share a desk with coworker who is a major trigger herself and a particularly loud typer. She literally drives me nuts and the situation is making me very miserable as I don't know how to approach my supervisor or HR to say that this is affecting my ability to work. I am on the verge of quitting my job which I can do because I need the money.

Anyone else out there who suffers please post your experiences here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2013, 07:50 PM

11,395 posts, read 24,456,213 times
Have you gone to your doctor to discuss this? Before you go to HR, you probably should get some sort of diagnosis and attempt to solve the problem. You might need some noise canceling headphones or even music that drowns out some of the triggers.

After you pursue remedies from that direction, go to your supervisor to discuss possibly moving your work station to an area that is less distracting. Not everyone thrives in an open office setting. Do some research about that, while you're at it.

Old 12-27-2013, 08:28 PM

29 posts, read 33,548 times
I have never been diagnosed by I have become increasingly sensitive to sound (and light). I use earplugs almost everywhere; and while they don't completely block out the noise; they help to muffle the sound enough that it helps to make it more bearable.

I have toyed with the idea of getting those expensive bose noise cancelling headphones, but they seem bulky and cumbersome to wear for a prolonged amount of time (such as in an office environment). They do have rave reviews.

Good luck!

Old 12-27-2013, 09:41 PM

389 posts, read 692,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeinterrupted View Post
I have never been diagnosed by I have become increasingly sensitive to sound (and light). I use earplugs almost everywhere; and while they don't completely block out the noise; they help to muffle the sound enough that it helps to make it more bearable.

I have toyed with the idea of getting those expensive bose noise cancelling headphones, but they seem bulky and cumbersome to wear for a prolonged amount of time (such as in an office environment). They do have rave reviews.

Good luck!
I've never heard of it, but I do know sensitivity to light and sound is something often connected with Aspergers and, more broadly, autism.

Sounds like a relatively simple problem to get worked out, though. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology