Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2014, 05:55 PM

142 posts, read 220,030 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeig104 View Post
You are misinformed. Autism is a developmental disability, not a mental illness. And no one is denying the potential impact of the disability by stating the facts.
Oh I agree, that poster is way off the mark. But I don't believe Autism is really a "genetic disorder" though either like many people seem to suggest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2014, 06:08 PM

3,070 posts, read 5,233,292 times
There is no single agreed answer, only that evidence suggests a strong genetic link, but there is plenty to argue it is simply a state of being, which I would agree with.

Old 02-05-2014, 06:16 PM

3,490 posts, read 6,511,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliss2 View Post
there is no single agreed answer, only that evidence suggests a strong genetic link, but there is plenty to argue it is simply a state of being, which i would agree with.
+1

Old 02-05-2014, 06:30 PM

3,490 posts, read 6,511,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxie89 View Post
Asperger's syndrome was eliminated from the DSM and doesn't even exist in a technical sense. As Asperger's is just high functioning autism not some separate condition. All Autism no matter the severity is severely disabling socially and developmentally, nearly 90% of autistics are unemployed regardless of functioning.
Incorrect. Asperger's was not eliminated from the DSM-5. Asperger's and Autism were combined into a new disorder -- Autism Spectrum Disorder. There are other errors in your post.

Read all about it (not just the title; the entire article): DSM-5: Saying Goodbye To Asperger's Syndrome

Old 02-05-2014, 06:33 PM

729 posts, read 1,301,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CravingMountains View Post
For reasons unknown autism is increasing in prevalence throughout most of the world.
We must ask one fundamental question. What has changed in the last 25-30 years that would contribute to the exponential increase in new cases?

Just my opinion....

Last edited by HeartofFlorida; 02-05-2014 at 06:58 PM..

Old 02-05-2014, 07:41 PM

142 posts, read 220,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighteyes View Post
Incorrect. Asperger's was not eliminated from the DSM-5. Asperger's and Autism were combined into a new disorder -- Autism Spectrum Disorder. There are other errors in your post.

Read all about it (not just the title; the entire article): DSM-5: Saying Goodbye To Asperger's Syndrome
I said it was merged under general autism spectrum in my other post. "Asperger's" on it's own as a diagnosis doesn't exist anymore.

Old 02-05-2014, 10:46 PM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,458,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeartofFlorida View Post
We must ask one fundamental question. What has changed in the last 25-30 years that would contribute to the exponential increase in new cases?

Just my opinion....
Good question. There is of course the notion that nowadays we're simply more aware of things like autism, ADHD, OCD, etc., especially with the advent of mandated Special Ed programs in most western schools in the past few decades. Another provocative theory is that western "hi-tech" culture is actually "breeding" autism, via its "high functioning" version, Asperger's, since many of Autism's very symptoms are now "in demand" within the computing industry. And various psychology professionals have even suggested that Bill Gates is likely an "Aspie" based on his history and behaviors. BTW, keep in mind that many Aspergers folks simply consider their 'symptoms' as "relative"!

Asperger's: the IT industry's dark secret, how IT is a uniquely attractive industry for the autistic

Last edited by mateo45; 02-05-2014 at 10:58 PM.. Reason: link..

Old 02-05-2014, 11:30 PM

3,565 posts, read 7,981,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeartofFlorida View Post

Just my opinion....
I think that's a great question.

I barely understand Asperger's and autism, so this is coming from that perspective, but... Could the structure of families or communities and how developing children interact with people, including their parents, play a role in any increase in the rate of autism? Does "nurture" play any role at all? I mean, it has been said in this thread that children with mild autism or Asperger's who are well socialized can do just fine in life, so could it be that children aren't being as well socialized at critical points of there development as they once were? Another thing I have to wonder is... Has our society and culture changed in such a way that people with mild autism no longer slip under the radar like they might have once did? I mean, working in factories, for example, used to be more the norm... Could that have allowed people with mild autism to slip under the radar? I think today with college being pushed so hard and with office work or other work that requires great communication skills being so valued, maybe the lesser communication skills are highlighted and more noticeable because of that? Like I said, I really don't know much about autism...I'm just throwing stuff out there.

Old 02-06-2014, 02:02 AM

4,749 posts, read 4,323,760 times
Autism is short for ASD or Autism Spectrum Disorder. It's an issue with development. Autism can be a genetic condition, environmental factor, or a vaccine injury.

I name all three because there is a debate on what causes Autism. Who am I to tell a mother that the MMR vaccine didn't cause her child's Autism? If that's what she believes, then dammit, it was the freakin' vaccine. She's the one with her child on a daily basis. She's the one with home videos to document how the child acted before the vaccine and afterwords.

Another reason why I named all three is because some parents have cured their children's Autism. Whether it's by sending their child to the Autism Treatment Center of America or by changing their diet.

Joey is a more severe than what you might see.

Autism Treatment Center of America cured Brandon

Autism Treatment Center of America cured Patrick

Last edited by Pinkmani; 02-06-2014 at 02:27 AM..

Old 02-06-2014, 02:27 AM

12,380 posts, read 26,856,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkmani View Post
Autism is short for ASD or Autism Spectrum Disorder. Disorders are illnesses. Autism can be a genetic condition, environmental factor, or a vaccine injury.
Its not caused by Vaccines...that has been debunked by multiple health agencies and independent studies. Autism is not an Illness , its a neurological disorder , and it is genetic. It occurs in 1 in 88 children and I have it....so of the responses in this thread are truly sad to read and speak to a larger ignorance of the general public.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology