Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2013, 07:39 PM

331 posts, read 382,727 times

Advertisements

While researching information on consumer psychology, I came across the following article:

Reasons Why Wanting Things Makes Us Happier Than Owning Them

It basically states that the urge to acquire products make us giddy -- but once we acquire the product, we get bored and look for the next best thing.

While there is some truth to this, it may be an oversimplification. I know plenty of individuals who spend most of their lives cherishing decades-old mementos.

What is your view on this? Does it not depend on the person and the product?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2013, 02:28 PM

1,379 posts, read 1,781,301 times
I agree with many of the points made in the article. As with anything else in life -- relationships and the like -- new is fun and exciting. Over time, things lose their luster, but that doesn't mean that they no longer hold value.

Old 12-21-2013, 03:08 PM

723 posts, read 870,709 times
probably comes down to being evolutionary advantage like everything else

Old 02-09-2014, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by el_marto View Post
probably comes down to being evolutionary advantage like everything else
Good point. Survival of the fittest.

Old 02-09-2014, 03:29 PM

51,021 posts, read 36,735,609 times
I think it happens when we get things too easily. For instance, my brother, at age 15 (he's 58 now), began rebuilding a junk car (my grandfather was teaching him how and helping). For the next few years, he would save money to buy parts, etc and work on it all the time. When he finally got it running a year or two later, he cherished that car, doted on it, lovingly wiped down every inch of it every day. On the other hand, I have a young nephew who was just given a car, and he doesn't have the same love for it as my brother did for that ugly old car. I think we appreciate that which we have to work for, even though we often think we would like to just get things easily.

Old 02-09-2014, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I think it happens when we get things too easily. For instance, my brother, at age 15 (he's 58 now), began rebuilding a junk car (my grandfather was teaching him how and helping). For the next few years, he would save money to buy parts, etc and work on it all the time. When he finally got it running a year or two later, he cherished that car, doted on it, lovingly wiped down every inch of it every day. On the other hand, I have a young nephew who was just given a car, and he doesn't have the same love for it as my brother did for that ugly old car. I think we appreciate that which we have to work for, even though we often think we would like to just get things easily.
So true. I think we're more likely to value $10 that we've worked hard to obtain than $100 given to us freely.

Old 02-09-2014, 06:44 PM

19,113 posts, read 27,717,434 times
OP, you didn't KNOW this? That's human nature. There is always a bigger, better (well, depends on one's preferences, truly) "deal" out there. That's what consumers do. They continuously consume. It's an addiction, cherished in a susceptible personality by environment.
There are folks out there that have resistance to this particular type of BS. But they do not "count". Mainstream is just that. Buying/spending machines with minds set no deeper than pleasing instant desires.

Old 02-09-2014, 10:06 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,845,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
OP, you didn't KNOW this? That's human nature. There is always a bigger, better (well, depends on one's preferences, truly) "deal" out there. That's what consumers do. They continuously consume. It's an addiction, cherished in a susceptible personality by environment.
There are folks out there that have resistance to this particular type of BS. But they do not "count". Mainstream is just that. Buying/spending machines with minds set no deeper than pleasing instant desires.
Actually, this is not a "human nature" problem but rather one caused by living a very unconscious existence.

The reality is, the human ego wants to want more than it wants to have.

That's because the ego identifies itself by what it has or owns.

People are not "addicted" to material possessions, they are simply feeding their ego's by acquiring them.

Those who feel they don't have enough are actually feeling that they are not themselves "enough".

Once a thing has been acquired, the unconscious ego feeds on it momentarily, but it gets hungry again very soon.

Old 02-16-2014, 06:35 AM

128 posts, read 147,582 times
Depends. Our society has never really valued living at the base as it were. Even centuries ago, the feudal lordships would be extravagant, it's now most if not all in society can do so.

I would say though that part of being human is growth in whichever form, and materialism is just an extension of that. Though like most things it's a balance. Placing excessive emphasis on things is bad, but then there is nothing wrong IMO in getting something if it makes one more content or at ease. I'd think this was healthy, and not being like a Tibetan monk and living in a shack in the forest drinking only rainwater and eating local berries and nuts...

Also, humans universally strive. If it's wrong to desire or want more, why do people revolt against governments? Why do people migrate to better their lots? I think this thinking is very disingenuous.

Old 02-16-2014, 08:37 AM

7,492 posts, read 11,848,841 times
It's a bit like living a fantasy as opposed to a real life; it's on your terms, you get to decide what the fantasy will be. It's the same way when you want something; you'll picture yourself having it and the fantasy is probably much better than the reality of having it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology