Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2014, 02:00 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,301,087 times

Advertisements

I can get by on 3 to 4 hours of sleep just fine for one day. But I can't do it more than once.

I view the 8-hr sleep standard as a guideline only. I think people's sleep needs differ.

I do believe wholeheartedly in naps, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2014, 06:13 PM

774 posts, read 906,671 times
New here and coming out of lurking:

Nothing's better than a full night of sound, refreshing sleep.

Old 03-21-2014, 08:59 PM

3,009 posts, read 3,642,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
I work full time, go to college full time, have a house and an active dog, go to gym and have hobbies.

All that while sleeping 9 hours per night. If I try to sleep less, it works for 1-2 nights, but then I have to go back sleeping 9 hours.

I tried to go to bed early and get up at 1 am and study for a while and go back to bed and then get up at 7am and sleep during lunch at noon, but that just doesn't work for me.
I just do not see how people sleep 8 hours a night ? Even as a kid i did sleep that much last one to bed first one up.

Having hobbies is nice i wish i had a few but they cost money i do not have.

I do have a plain and if i can get 5-6 hours is all I need.

Old 03-21-2014, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
Well, either slow down on your classes and have more of a social life or keep doing what you are doing and just think that these few years of no life will be worth it.

I would go nuts to do what you do. I do most of my classes online, so I can squeeze life in between homework and studying. As long as you don't have kids who constantly interrupt and need your attention, it is all doable IMO.

And I do all my schoolwork on week days and reward myself with school free week ends.
Most of the classes I need are not available online like all the science classes i need to take.

I do not think it will be too bad if i get home at 10:30 pm Than eat, shower , and relax for a second it is 11 pm then go to bed. If i can get up at 4:30 am and study until 8 am . However it makes it a very long day but you got to do it.

Night classes are only three days a week back to back to back so it not that bad. I get the dau off on the last day so i can get a few more hours of sleep.

I do not have any kids but some day I will . Also i am doing it for them so they can have the things they need in life . On top of having the family life i never got to have.

Old 03-21-2014, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskaboy View Post
NO YOU CANNOT!!!!! I did this for a few years and am still suffering the consequences badly. A major study on chronic lack of sleep just came out and they found the health problems associated with a chronic lack of sleep ARE PERMANENT!!! And the latest study includes that we loose permanently up to 35% of our brain function, including early onset Dementia, memory loss and slowing cognitive response that never goes back!!!

The theory before was that you would bounce back once regular sleep patterns were reinstated and they found this is entirely untrue. If you work, or set yourself up in a position that creates a long term sleep shortage, you are basically killing yourself.
My feeling are if i knocks a few years off my life it is ok these are the bad years anyway.

Old 03-21-2014, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I find it weird that at this point in your academic career you have to make a conscious choice to give up dating (according to your posting history here, you weren't dating anyway), Xbox, and drinking/partying. That's just a given for most people in your position: working full time and going to school. If you're still losing precious time to Xbox, I would suggest you've become compulsive about it. Compulsions can be overcome, but it takes effort, just fyi.

Your motivation isn't healthy, and it's driving you to make reckless, self-destructive decisions. The better path for you would be:

1. Get counseling for your psychological issues. If your school has a counseling center, take advantage of it. It's free.

2. Dial back your schedule. Do you take classes in the summer? If not, drop back to 1 class/semester, and start including summer semester.

It's impossible to get by long-term on just 3-4 hours of sleep. Even on 6 hours, your reactions slow, your thinking and memory become impaired. AAA says you're not a safe driver, living on just 6 hrs. of sleep daily. 3-4 hours is downright irresponsible. Not only will it affect your mental health, you'll be living on stress hormones chronically. That means a high risk of health problems medium and long-term, but also it means you won't be able to perform well on your tests in school. Your memory won't be able to function. This is self-sabotage.

Get help. You'll find eventually that you'll be making better decisions, thinking more clearly and sensibly, and you'll be happier. You're making yourself miserable, and cutting back on sleep will only make it worse. You're your own worst enemy. Do something about that.
It would be great to have a loving GF and one that is supportive but I need to focus on school. I got it all figured out on how to focus more so it should help a ton.

I gave my xbox away to some that did not have one it was collecting dust anyway. I would of sold my TV but i might need that .

All i know is i do not want to be 35/40 still working a dead end job because i failed out of school . Honestly i would not be able to look at myself in the mirror and love what i am seeing looking back.

Well i am only taking one class Spring quarter seeing that it is at night and i need to get a good grade and any thing but a 3.5 / 3.8 is unacceptable.

I know if i can get 5-6 hours of sleep i will do just fine. I might take two classes this summer but i do not know yet.

Old 03-22-2014, 07:17 AM

11,795 posts, read 12,033,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krieger00 View Post
It would be great to have a loving GF and one that is supportive but I need to focus on school. I got it all figured out on how to focus more so it should help a ton.

I gave my xbox away to some that did not have one it was collecting dust anyway. I would of sold my TV but i might need that .

All i know is i do not want to be 35/40 still working a dead end job because i failed out of school . Honestly i would not be able to look at myself in the mirror and love what i am seeing looking back.

Well i am only taking one class Spring quarter seeing that it is at night and i need to get a good grade and any thing but a 3.5 / 3.8 is unacceptable.

I know if i can get 5-6 hours of sleep i will do just fine. I might take two classes this summer but i do not know yet.
Why are you only taking one class right now, and why don't you know what you're going to be doing for classes this summer? This sounds very disorganized and nothing like I thought a nursing program would be.

You talk in virtually every thread and every post about how miserable you are, and what you want for your life, but have you really set goals and have plans in place to reach them? I don't get that impression from what you write.

Old 03-22-2014, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty2011 View Post
Why are you only taking one class right now, and why don't you know what you're going to be doing for classes this summer? This sounds very disorganized and nothing like I thought a nursing program would be.

You talk in virtually every thread and every post about how miserable you are, and what you want for your life, but have you really set goals and have plans in place to reach them? I don't get that impression from what you write.
I am not in the nursing program yet just working towards it right now.As far as summer goes I do not know what I am taking I can't make that call until I know what time the classes are. On top of that I using spring break to get organized and a plan to stay more focused.

I do have some goals and have plans in order to reach them. Right now I am reading up on how people stay organized and stay focused. Once I get the class syllabus I need to break every thing into manageable parts .

Old 03-22-2014, 02:55 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krieger00 View Post
I am not in the nursing program yet just working towards it right now.
So you're taking some kind of science or pre-med courses right now?

Old 03-22-2014, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
So you're taking some kind of science or pre-med courses right now?
Nope just intro chemistry just basic chemistry it just night time is the only time I can take it spring quarter only.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology