Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2014, 10:46 AM

9,301 posts, read 8,367,838 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by relationshippro View Post
Do you guys remember your childhood?

Everything seemed simple, relationships were whimsical. It all changed now XD Sometimes I wish I could people having crushes like they did in elementary school. Oh well.
I try not to remember my childhood. I survived it, now no need to go back. I rather be an adult with all the freedoms (as well as responsibilities) and not have to worry about some bigger guy who just has it out for me in my own home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2014, 10:49 AM

39,336 posts, read 27,718,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 49ersfan27 View Post
My childhood wasn't that great to be honest. I dealt with bullying that made me dislike everyone. Now, I'm very cynical because of that.
I have dealt with my shares of bullying. Been bullied by bigger chicks. I learned to tell my brothers, or fighting back HARD. Bullying magically stopped, yeah those bit*hes deserved it.

Old 04-01-2014, 10:52 AM

41,936 posts, read 37,067,254 times
I don't remember much of it, but I know I much prefer being an adult. Being an adult is a blast.

Old 04-01-2014, 11:08 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,696,989 times
My childhood was ten thousand kinds of awesome. Crushes don't have very much to do with it, but I definitely look to my childhood as the gold standard. I hope I am able to have kids who also get the opportunity for such a cool childhood.

Old 04-01-2014, 11:18 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,696,989 times
Re: bullying, I think that most people get bullied at some point. It sucks, but it's a reality of being human that there is a pecking order that will sometimes affect you. I was occasionally targeted by bullies as a kid, and I have been occasionally targeted by bullies in the form of superiors in the workplace as an adult. It's just life. Some people bully. You choose how you deal with it, respond to it (or not), and how you let it affect you.

I get that there is a difference between being aggressively targeted, abused, and harrassed for years and being regularly concerned for your safety and wellbeing, or being subjected to psychological warfare for large swaths of childhood, and, say, some kids being jerks to you a handful of times. But I really do think that most people who have dealt with occasional bullying ought to be able to function in society as adults, and not allow it to be this huge elephant in the room that affects major areas of their life years later. If it is, get your issues sorted out. It's your responsiblity as an adult.

I know someone who was teased (not assaulted, not harassed, not hazed...teased) as a high schooler, and who allows that to affect his life in huge and bizarre and emotionally unstable ways. At some point, take responsibility for your own mental health. If you're holding onto slights from high school well into adulthood, and allowing them to affect your adult life in significant ways, it says a lot about you, and what it says isn't great.

Not saying that anybody on this thread thus far IS this person. But, whenever the issue of bullying comes up, I feel compelled to point out that most everyone has been bullied, but not everyone lets it be a defining factor in their lives.

Old 04-01-2014, 11:20 AM

31,163 posts, read 22,192,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
I have dealt with my shares of bullying. Been bullied by bigger chicks. I learned to tell my brothers, or fighting back HARD. Bullying magically stopped, yeah those bit*hes deserved it.
Touche' "those bit*hes deserved it". I was the big brother and no-body messed with my younger brother or sister (Other than me..jk). I remember some Fat kid pushing my little brother around in Jr HS. I cornered him behind a 7-11, took his bike from him and bent it into a pretzel. He was crying his eyes out and called me a bully..WTF

Then there was Pam, my first crush. Wonder where she is now?

Old 04-01-2014, 11:37 AM

39,336 posts, read 27,718,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
Touche' "those bit*hes deserved it". I was the big brother and no-body messed with my younger brother or sister (Other than me..jk). I remember some Fat kid pushing my little brother around in Jr HS. I cornered him behind a 7-11, took his bike from him and bent it into a pretzel. He was crying his eyes out and called me a bully..WTF

Then there was Pam, my first crush. Wonder where she is now?
Jaun you are a good big brother.

Old 04-01-2014, 12:10 PM

4,761 posts, read 14,315,965 times
I remember seeing my young nephew (age 5 or so), in the back seat, being driven up in my brothers car. He had the biggest smile on his face!

Now that he is 19 and moved away from home, that smile is no longer there! (Bills, a job, girlfriend, etc. will do that...)

Old 04-01-2014, 12:13 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,325,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
I actually had to punch a guy at my college who tried to bully me. He hasn'tbothered me since. Standing up for yourself really works.

Old 04-01-2014, 12:34 PM

13,496 posts, read 18,235,121 times
I remember childhood with a great deal of warmth and pleasure, though it is the environment of my childhood that I gives me these feelings more than recollections of particular people or events. I grew up in a small town that was very prosperous, but was set in the midst of farming country. A creek that flowed through the countryside had been dammed in the village, and that gave it the appearance of being a large river in the center of town. Woods grew along its banks almost into Main Street, and wild meadows and woods were not more than five minutes from any neighbourhood. There was a tiny playground near the school, but only a very few small children went to it, most kids just played outside in the streets or the woods and fields, and our "playground" was a very old graveyard that ran behind our street.

The outdoors was everything...swimming, fishing, collecting bouquets of wild flowers for our mothers (the lack of enthusiasm for the lovely goldenrod seemed a bit ungrateful), there were all kinds of birds to be sighted, and small wild animals and bugs. Bugs did everything. They hopped out of your hand higher than all hell, they stung, they stunk, they rolled up, and the fuzzy-wuzzies tickled, caterpillars turned into beautiful butterflies if hatched in a jar...or very, very weird moths. Parents threw handfuls of seeds out onto the snow at breakfast time in the winter, and the backyard would become a buffet for incredible numbers of squawking and cheeping birds while we watched from the table.

From my neighbourhood we walked to down a street, across a gorgeous bridge that was an Italian renaissance copy and then along a path by the creek, with weeping willow trees that the flickers liked to perch in, and the path ended up near the primary school. In the winter the school principal would appeal to parents in my part of the village to make their kids walk to school down Main Street. The reason was that the Cinder Path that we took was not a street, just an unplowable creekside path...and grade school boys having two and three feet of snow to walk through - and roll around in, and throw at each other, and stomp a "trail" in - were about a half hour late for school after every snow storm. The creek froze in the winter, and we ice skated on it in the center of town, and at the end of our street there were steep slopes down to the creek and we used to toboggan and sled on them all winter.

And in the Spring we would start going up into the valley south of our county into the hill country to visit my grandmother, who lived in a village with gas lit street lights, and up into the hills where my aunt and her family had a farm with really thick woods and a swampy marsh...which meant all new animals, flowers and plants (like skunk cabbage), etc. And cows and playing in the hay mow. And stinky "cow pies" and "horse balls."

It was the Forties, sometimes we played "cowboys," but mostly we played "war" in the old cemetery. "War" was fun, and The War was everything to grownup, although it meant almost nothing to us kids...but it gave us the game we called "war." After a game of war in the cemetery, we would go to the pile where the caretakers threw all the old funeral wreathes and bouquets, and we would pull them apart to get the freshest flowers and take them home to our mothers. Like goldenrod, these gifts were mysteriously not appreciated. Ironically, I suppose after a game of "war" they were an appropriately grim offering. But we didn't know. Flowers were flowers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology