Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2015, 06:33 PM

24 posts, read 52,705 times

Advertisements

on the topic of tattoos..kind of, I was watching Spongebob...not by choice..I was sitting in an MRI and that's what was on the TV in my line of sight....at one point, Spongebob displayed a very large tramp stamp....I couldn't move, so I was wanting to laugh so hard...because.....what kid that's at the age to watch this, is even going to catch that....that was definitely for the adults...LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2015, 07:15 PM

6,977 posts, read 5,704,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
My thoughts exactly. It's just not a good idea. Not to mention the fact that as humans, we change our minds frequently about our physical appearances. It isn't smart to get anything permanently etched on your body when you might decide in 2, 3, or even 10 years time, that you don't like it.
no doubt, a lot of tattoos are impulsive, it just reeks of "low class" not sure why someone would want an advertisement that says "im low class".

Old 04-09-2015, 10:44 PM

766 posts, read 1,394,353 times
I got this co-worker..... and .... ummmm.... well.... long story short....

She actually has been telling EVERYBODY about her new problem. It seems, she got her kids names and birth dates tatteed on her back. She's divorced now, and now entering the SINGLE world.

Seems she's having a bit of a sexual set-back. Guys don't like "seeing" her kids names and birthdates on her BACK! (lolol)

That right there, just tells toooooooo much information!!!!! And now she is using her paychecks to get new tat's that cover up the old tats. UGH!

Old 04-10-2015, 08:17 AM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,451,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springazure View Post
I got this co-worker..... and .... ummmm.... well.... long story short....

She actually has been telling EVERYBODY about her new problem. It seems, she got her kids names and birth dates tatteed on her back. She's divorced now, and now entering the SINGLE world.

Seems she's having a bit of a sexual set-back. Guys don't like "seeing" her kids names and birthdates on her BACK! (lolol)

That right there, just tells toooooooo much information!!!!! And now she is using her paychecks to get new tat's that cover up the old tats. UGH!
Ran into something like that at a Mini-mart not long ago, where a mom came in along with her 20-something daughter, both sporting elaborate, and no doubt expensive tats running down each of their arms. The daughter pointed to a package of doughnuts, and said something like, "Hey mom, can I get these?"

The mother clearly replied, "No, we've already used up all our food money for this month."

Old 04-10-2015, 01:12 PM

20,758 posts, read 19,951,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45 View Post
Ran into something like that at a Mini-mart not long ago, where a mom came in along with her 20-something daughter, both sporting elaborate, and no doubt expensive tats running down each of their arms. The daughter pointed to a package of doughnuts, and said something like, "Hey mom, can I get these?"

The mother clearly replied, "No, we've already used up all our food money for this month."
Yeah, that would only happen to tattooed people.

Old 04-10-2015, 01:15 PM

20,758 posts, read 19,951,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wall st kid View Post
no doubt, a lot of tattoos are impulsive, it just reeks of "low class" not sure why someone would want an advertisement that says "im low class".
I am almost finished with my bachelors degree in legal studies and I am the executive assistant to the GM at a big company. Working full time, going to college full time. No debt. No kids out of wedlock. No criminal record. I am applying for college right now so I can get a masters degree.

I have a HUGE tattoo on my belly and upper thigh. I got it 15 years ago and it is still beautiful.

So I am low class? If I get it removed, do I need to stay low class or can I get promoted to middle class?

And people who can't spell right but have no tattoo are upper class?

Old 04-10-2015, 03:52 PM

248 posts, read 340,734 times
I think Maori-style tattoos can be beautiful but American ones, not so much. They're distracting and I keep wanting to clean them off.

I know people who are a lot smarter than me (and quite a bit younger) who have tats though, so no accounting for IQ or taste in this instance.

Old 04-10-2015, 04:05 PM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times
I don't think the size of the tattoo has much to do with anything. Some pretty smart people have full sleeves.

What I see is that the lower the quality of the tattoo, the more likely it is that the person is not fully functional in society. If I get an applicant covered randomly with badly done tattoos, placed with no artistic consideration, there is a very good chance that person is lower income and has a bunch of problems with their application: lies about employment, lies about prior landlords, or lies about their criminal record or credit report.

Jailhouse tattoos, spider webs or tear drops on the face, bad words on the fingers, really do indicate some mental problems and a criminal record.

Well done tattoos cost a lot of money. Those don't say much except that the wearer and I have different tastes in fashion. (which means nothing). Cheap tattoos often mean that the person has spent money on awful tattoos and, often, cigarettes, instead of taking care of business.

Professional athletes and musicians often have full sleeves that can cost $5,000-$10,000, or even more. Those are big tattoos and are not indicating that the wearer is stupid.

Old 04-10-2015, 07:09 PM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,451,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
Yeah, that would only happen to tattooed people.
Yup, food or tats… that's a tough choice alright.

Guess it kinda depends on your, um, "priorities" (BTW, how's that Kardashian look-alike thang going)??

Old 04-13-2015, 01:44 PM

20,364 posts, read 14,636,289 times
OK I have certainly seen SOME ink out there that made me cringe, and think "man...not such a good lifestyle choice there..." Generally really vulgar/offensive stuff or scratcher work (amateur ink.)

The beautiful ink in conspicuous places...ya know, that one dude with the plugs and the beard, I bet he's an artist himself, or a rock musician, he's following SOME calling where he doesn't have to worry about the opinions of the judgmental. I don't see anyone who is aspiring to be some corporate muckety muck actually getting ink that's going to close those doors. If he hadn't gotten that neck tat, I bet he still wouldn't be climbing the ladder humming along to Peter Gabriel, OK?

I think that judging other people and making assumptions about whether they are intelligent or not, based on ink, makes a person look less socially intelligent. Certainly you are cutting yourself off from hearing some really fascinating life stories. But ya know, if all you want to do is come home and watch the big game, maybe you don't care if your world view is just that narrow. Whatever. I assume that normal people are mostly boring. Sometimes they surprise me, though.

I'm an Energy Management Analyst, in an office working for a company with offices all over the world, making pretty solid upper middle class income. I have large tattoos. They are not visible when I'm at work, but as I am in Colorado, many of my coworkers in the office (mostly middle class suburb dwelling Mom types) have visible tattoos. It was the same when I worked in Washington, but when I was working (for a LOT less money) in a back-room environment at a large bank, in Des Moines, Iowa, they would have frowned upon visible tattoos. A lot of this judgment is regional.

I have ink on my ribs on both sides, designs that are symbolic and meaningful to me, that took me over a year to really work out in my mind and on paper. I also have a large portrait of a beloved deceased Great Aunt on my right outer thigh, surrounded by roses. It is a classy sort of "lady movie star from the 1920's" kind of look she had back in her youth, and after she died, I wanted that permanent reminder of the beautiful person she was, as she was my most respected and influential relative. I don't get ink of the living, I do it to honor my dead. And it is very cathartic. I couldn't care less what the Bible has to say about it (or anything, actually.)

Oh, and I have never been in trouble with the law, not even so much as a speeding ticket, ever in my life. I've also never been drunk and I'm not a drug addict.

Your stereotypes are invalid. Corrolation does not equal causation. Nothing to see here. Move along.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology