Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How does the awareness of the brevity of life/finality of death make you feel?
Makes me wanna live life to the full/motivates me/positive encouragement 13 24.53%
Doesn't have much effect on me 34 64.15%
Depresses/frightens me 6 11.32%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2014, 06:15 PM

9,556 posts, read 20,804,861 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
I tend to think that people use "you only live once" as an excuse for some self-indulgent or irresponsible behavior.

It's like they're saying because they will only live X number of years, they "deserve" to squander money or time or energy on something senseless if it's "fun." It's fine to ignore responsibilities in the name of enjoyment.

"Hey this woman really seems to like me. I'm married and I do love my family, but hey, you only live once..."

"I was saving up money for the kids' college funds, but then just decided to blow it all on a vacation. You know, you only live once..."

"I called out of work today to go to the shore. Sure we had that important meeting and they were relying on me, but you only live once..."

So I don't like the term. But none of the poll responses fit my opinion.

Also, I don't necessarily believe that we only live once. That's not really relevant, though, since people who use the term aren't talking about a non-belief in reincarnation, but just about justifying their self-indulgent behavior. Even if I were 100% convinced that I would only live once, I still wouldn't throw off responsibility to indulge my whims.
That is true. Although if you only lived once, wouldn't that sort of deter you more from risky behaviour?

Anyway am I the only one who thinks the idea that of the say billions of years that the Universe has been in existence (or possibly longer, or shorter, but a hell of a long time anyway) we are only conscious for a tiny tiny percentage of them? I've always though if the materialists are right and consciousness ends with death it's like the Universe and EVERYTHING ends at death!!! How the fudge does that not scare the living crap out of people??? It's like people are so casual about eternal non-existence, argh!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2014, 06:59 PM

9,408 posts, read 13,741,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
But not too short to respond to said polls.

This OP has a very long history. His present persona is an extension of his last one. He would spend hours on this forum making up posts asking about every aspect of life yet refused to get off the computer and actually live life for himself. Living vicariously through an online forum is seldom a healthy way to approach life when you're in your 20s. When he dispapeared myself and many other posters had hopes he had taken our advice to heart...sadly we were mistaken.

Old 05-07-2014, 07:03 PM

9,408 posts, read 13,741,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
I mean I'm nearly 30 now...if I were healthier (both mentally and physically) I could probably make 100 due to my genetics, but considering I''m not sometimes I wonder if I will even make 40. But that aside...

Yes don't want to bring up religion here, but the afterlife has caused me a lot of worry...or lack thereof. Especially since I'm not convinced I will go to heaven or whatever...

Yes, that's great, keep it up! I think taking the focus off oneself is definitely good.
Maybe if you went outside, did some walking in the Australian sunlight and actually did some things you would live a bit longer. Instead you have chosen to continue your rampant posting and unhealthy obsession with living online instead of in real life. If anyone should take to heart you only live once, it should be you. Yet here you are, wasting your life away. Sad Trimac, really sad. You are an intelligent man, wasting your youth.

Old 05-08-2014, 10:59 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,388,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post

Yes don't want to bring up religion here, but the afterlife has caused me a lot of worry...
or lack thereof. Especially since I'm not convinced I will go to heaven or whatever...
When anyone says that I suggest reading about 20 NDEs at www.nderf.com or is it .org?
Near death exp research foundation.
That outta perk you up...find some suicide attempt NDEs...there's alota love on
the Other Side...and insight. They should take the 'worry' away.

Old 05-08-2014, 01:45 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,308,431 times
YOLO is just an excuse to do something stupid.

Old 05-09-2014, 08:54 PM

9,556 posts, read 20,804,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djuna View Post
Maybe if you went outside, did some walking in the Australian sunlight and actually did some things you would live a bit longer. Instead you have chosen to continue your rampant posting and unhealthy obsession with living online instead of in real life. If anyone should take to heart you only live once, it should be you. Yet here you are, wasting your life away. Sad Trimac, really sad. You are an intelligent man, wasting your youth.
I'm sure a part of you really does care about me, Djuna, mixed in with that derision, but yeah, I know what I gotta do, things are hard for me, but I'm fighting on.

Old 05-12-2014, 08:08 PM

2,234 posts, read 3,321,648 times
No one appreciates life like people that have been in life threatening situations and/or been close to death. There are a lot of people that have no concept that life is finite.

Most people bury their heads in the sand and never think of death. I have started a death spread sheet. On it is everyone that I have known very well in my life and are now deceased. The list is getting fairly long. I'm now older then just a few on the list, this means that 80% of the people on the list died younger then me at that time.

I except that death will come and that I have realistically only 10-15 years left (if I'm lucky).

Old 05-13-2014, 06:58 AM

4,416 posts, read 9,141,500 times
First of all I do not use abbreviated trendy slang terms. I will not acknowledge or dignify the use of the word yolo. I have a good 30 years of quality living left. I hope to go out in a big way.

Old 05-14-2014, 08:26 PM

88,586 posts, read 84,818,250 times
YOLO makes me think of Rolo, which is a type of candy. It's caramel covered with chocolate and now I want some.

So my answer, in short, is: YOLO makes me crave sweets.

Old 05-14-2014, 09:17 PM

5,765 posts, read 11,376,630 times
Yolo means Yolo County, California, located just west of Sacramento, home of University of California at Davis and lots of rice fields.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology