Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-24-2014, 06:25 PM

3,603 posts, read 5,938,680 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afternoon Napper View Post
any adult who's a virgin obviously has something wrong with him. attracting women and having sex in the whole reason we exist on this planet, to reproduce. if you fail at that, you literally fail at life.

i'd view someone like that as highly suspect and weird, precisely the type of lunatic who'd go on a shooting rampage.
That's just plain not true.

Some of history's greatest artists and leaders never bred.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2014, 06:33 PM

1,199 posts, read 2,044,643 times
I can assure you, as someone much older than the shooter, someone who has a life-long history of failure in the love department, homicide has never crossed my mind.

I suspect this kid would have carried out a heinous act anyway, regardless of the source of his anger. If not lack of sex, something else would have triggered his mental instability at some point.

Old 05-24-2014, 06:36 PM

331 posts, read 547,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
True -- and there are just as many lonely women
No, there are more lonely men.

Old 05-24-2014, 06:39 PM

3,603 posts, read 5,938,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by const_iterator View Post
No, there are more lonely men.
Says who?

Old 05-24-2014, 06:53 PM

4,575 posts, read 5,191,696 times
@Auraliea

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpsTN View Post
Agreed. This IS an oversexed society and it DOES lead to a lot of problems. I am 45 years old. I was a virgin until age 31, and the Earth didn't crack!! I am now married, 11 years, and have an 8yo son. Life doesn't have to start in HS, people.

Charles Sands
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doll Eyes View Post
I don't get it either and stopped trying to awhile ago. I figure people are more into dating walking STDs with tons of baggage then a virgin with little to no experience, they think it means something 'significant' about that person. I regularly some ridiculous crap about older virgins (which I am one) and it makes me wonder if people actually know one or they go off these type of articles about some wayward societal killer spree.
Agreed with you 3.
Spoiler
I am an older virgin. Now, none of my crushes in HS returned my feelings, but some guys did show interest. I just didn't like any of them. So, I have never dated, because a guy I am attracted to has yet to ask me out. But I am fine with it, for the most part.

But it does get annoying with the older virgin rumors, and theories, as if virgins over 18 are an alien species. and that virgins are totally oblivious to sex. We may not have had it yet, but doesn't mean we haven't figured it out, read about it, or been exposed to it--seeing the gist of things, learning what we like, some things a potential partner may like, stuff you don't like. But no, apparently if you're a virgin, you know NOTHING about sex, or what it even is. lol

And the idea of waiting is stupid to some. If they get no sex in a few weeks of meeting someone, then they waited too long. Being an older virgin myself, I can't take a chance on rushing, then getting with a creep. Waiting doesn't automatically protect from that--creeps are creeps, but it does better chances a bit, that's why I prefer to wait a while, as if it is a creep just wanting to get laid, then I don't want him, and he'll be gone anyway if I don't give it up. And good riddance.

But a guy that cares, while he may want sex, would be able to wait a bit until I am ready to take that step, and would be understanding when it happened, because I have a slight issue that is already going to may sex difficult the first, many times, So, the idea of rushing really isn't in my cards now.

It's not impossible. My ex friend's boyfriend brought up sex to her, and she instantly said no. He understood, and waited. They didn't have sex until after they'd dated for over a year. Now, if you genuinely love someone, I don't think waiting will kill you. But society is oversexed, so it's about getting laid every week-and if you don't you're body will rot. And it's fine for them, but many are judgmental for others that don't share that mindset--like someone here that made a big to do that I preferred to wait a few months, to a year before I bed a guy. Depends on how close we are, and the time we spend together. But sex will not be happening within a few weeks to 1 month--I know that.

This guy's issue is either pressure from society that sex is everything, and you're not a man or woman until you do it. OR, he already had mental issues. But he's not crazy because of being a virgin in itself. Virginity doesn't cause trauma and brain damage.

Old 05-24-2014, 07:11 PM

6,732 posts, read 9,995,568 times
I keep trying to tell you people that PUA and MRA are hate speech.

Other places on the web, people are talking about how those groups should be labeled hate groups and treated accordingly. Then I come here and you all are talking about how he was a virgin.

He was a nutjob who just happened to find MRA/PUA and latch onto their rhetoric. If he had not, he might have latched onto some form of racism. Or religion.

Old 05-24-2014, 07:15 PM

589 posts, read 639,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NilaJones View Post
I keep trying to tell you people that PUA and MRA are hate speech.

Other places on the web, people are talking about how those groups should be labeled hate groups and treated accordingly. Then I come here and you all are talking about how he was a virgin.

He was a nutjob who just happened to find MRA/PUA and latch onto their rhetoric. If he had not, he might have latched onto some form of racism. Or religion.

PUA has nothing to do with this.

Old 05-24-2014, 07:30 PM

708 posts, read 823,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Afternoon Napper View Post
any adult who's a virgin obviously has something wrong with him. attracting women and having sex in the whole reason we exist on this planet, to reproduce. if you fail at that, you literally fail at life.

i'd view someone like that as highly suspect and weird, precisely the type of lunatic who'd go on a shooting rampage.

Really? Apparently Nikola Tesla died a virgin so going by what you just said, you wouldn't even be able to switch on your computer to write that nonsense you just wrote.

Your whole life is based on your ability to attract the opposite sex and you see that as your only reason for living, yet there are scores of people that were virgins who make your life bearable. It's attitudes that spread through society like yours that contribute to the ostracization of those who find themselves in such a position.

While everyone is focusing on the virginity and the rejection of women concerning the shooting, they are yet again ignoring and missing the potential underlying causes.

Old 05-24-2014, 07:34 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raena77 View Post
Mental disorders need to be diagnosed in an early stage.Too many getting through.
Many mental illnesses manifest themselves around college age.

Old 05-24-2014, 07:36 PM

589 posts, read 639,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Many mental illnesses manifest themselves around college age.

Some even later than that. Aspergers is an example. There's people who aren't diagnosed until their 30s.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology