Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2014, 08:01 PM

1,107 posts, read 2,278,940 times

Advertisements

OP, why do you keep trying to diagnose your wife? It is not going to help ANYTHING. Please wake up and smell the coffee, if nothing else, for the sake of your child. I really hope for your own sake as well, that you get some counseling. You continue to rationalize and try to objectify. This isnt science. This is life.

PS have you ever been diagnosed with Aspberger's, speaking of diagnoses. Just a hunch. You are not dealing with the situation much better than your wife, IMO. Could she have been attracted to your "calm" nature only to find out that you can't empathize?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2014, 08:55 PM

1,701 posts, read 1,875,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
"Batsh*t crazy?" Who wouldn't be, with trying to prep a house for sale, a move around the world, a spouse who is now out of town, AND a special-needs son. Any ONE of those items would drive most people to drink.

Frankly, I am shocked at your lack of empathy. You need to take on some of this yourself and get back home as much as you possibly can TO HELP.
Oh gimmee a break. His wife needs to get her head straight instead of letting her emotions get the best of her. OP needs to get the house sold or rented out ASAP and fly his family out to where he is.

Old 06-13-2014, 09:10 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,935,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HTY483 View Post
Oh gimmee a break. His wife needs to get her head straight instead of letting her emotions get the best of her.
Yeah, it's just that easy.

Old 06-13-2014, 09:24 PM

2,634 posts, read 3,693,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
It's not lack of empathy. He's also caught up in this and is also frustrated. He's a research scientist - his focus is on research. Dealing with social issues is not what he's trained for.
Then he shouldn't have gotten married.

Old 06-13-2014, 10:21 PM

6,720 posts, read 8,389,294 times
OP just fly home for a weekend and set an appointment with a realtor and list the house. Immediately book a moving company and pay them to ship all of your stuff. Book two plane tickets for your spouse and child and have them come stay with you.

If she is unable to do these things, then you will have to do it.

If she still refuses, plan to live apart, move back home, or get a divorce.

Old 06-13-2014, 10:24 PM

2,438 posts, read 2,810,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meyerland View Post
OP just fly home for a weekend and set an appointment with a realtor and list the house. Immediately book a moving company and pay them to ship all of your stuff. Book two plane tickets for your spouse and child and have them come stay with you.

If she is unable to do these things, then you will have to do it.

If she still refuses, plan to live apart, move back home, or get a divorce.
The house will have to be staged and cleaned as well to be put on the market. He can't expect to just move the family and leave it ( as is) If he moves back home, he will lose his job and I have a feeling, that since he's already had time off-- he could lose his job over another absence.

He will need several companies to make this move ( over the phone) but getting his wife and son on a plane will be the first thing, and then the moving company and then staging and cleaning the house and finding a another place for all three of them. If he plans to get her an apartment ( for a year) while she's sobering up, he's looking at two mortgages and a rental.( while his original house is on the market)

Or, he can rent his original house out.. but he will have another rental ( or mortgage) and an apartment, plus paying sitter for his son.

Last edited by thegreenflute334; 06-13-2014 at 10:34 PM..

Old 06-13-2014, 10:54 PM

6,720 posts, read 8,389,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegreenflute334 View Post
The house will have to be staged and cleaned as well to be put on the market. He can't expect to just move the family and leave it ( as is) If he moves back home, he will lose his job and I have a feeling, that since he's already had time off-- he could lose his job over another absence.

He will need several companies to make this move ( over the phone) but getting his wife and son on a plane will be the first thing, and then the moving company and then staging and cleaning the house and finding a another place for all three of them. If he plans to get her an apartment ( for a year) while she's sobering up, he's looking at two mortgages and a rental.( while his original house is on the market)

Or, he can rent his original house out.. but he will have another rental ( or mortgage) and an apartment, plus paying sitter for his son.
I have moved countries within a few weeks. Everything can be done from a distance. It's really not that big a deal to move within the US, no customs or immigration requirements.

All he has to do is get her to agree and he can take care of everything else. The trickiest part is getting the moving company to meet him on the weekend he is there. Which is why he needs to do that first.

I advise leaving a key in a lockbox that the realtor can put on. Then pay someone to be there when the movers are there. I just did this for friends of mine that moved to another country. The realtor most likely will meet the cleaners at the home and let them inside.

Last edited by Meyerland; 06-13-2014 at 11:12 PM..

Old 06-13-2014, 11:29 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,760,768 times
So much good advice. Thank you all.

After reading your posts yesterday, I called and said if she did not call me by noon I was calling social services. She called. We talked, she is working on the house and we have a one month plan to buy, list, and move. Not to say we are out of the woods, but I am happy to say I acted and she responded. She also said that she was so happy that we were talking again (after she was freezing me out!).

1,000,000,000 thanks to you all! Your bracing slaps upside the head reminded me that yes, I do love my wife, I do want us to keep trying on our marriage, we are moving here as a family come hell or high water, and timely actions are sometimes necessary when a loved on is spinning out.

Two other things. I should not have called my wife lazy. I have been frustrated with her effort on the move, but she is not lazy overall. I was venting, and I was wrong. Second, my reason for diagnosing my wife was for my own understanding. It was a tremendous relief and helped me to move from an angry, judgmental head space to a more compassionate one.

Old 06-14-2014, 12:06 AM

11,019 posts, read 5,984,846 times
That's great news! I wish I could by you a beer.

P.S. We can all learn from you!

Kindest Regards
303Guy

Old 06-14-2014, 12:13 AM

2,438 posts, read 2,810,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
So much good advice. Thank you all.

After reading your posts yesterday, I called and said if she did not call me by noon I was calling social services. She called. We talked, she is working on the house and we have a one month plan to buy, list, and move. Not to say we are out of the woods, but I am happy to say I acted and she responded. She also said that she was so happy that we were talking again (after she was freezing me out!).

1,000,000,000 thanks to you all! Your bracing slaps upside the head reminded me that yes, I do love my wife, I do want us to keep trying on our marriage, we are moving here as a family come hell or high water, and timely actions are sometimes necessary when a loved on is spinning out.

Two other things. I should not have called my wife lazy. I have been frustrated with her effort on the move, but she is not lazy overall. I was venting, and I was wrong. Second, my reason for diagnosing my wife was for my own understanding. It was a tremendous relief and helped me to move from an angry, judgmental head space to a more compassionate one.
Just take care of that job or you'll have me to contend with! By the way- Congrats on the new job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology