Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2014, 05:35 PM

46 posts, read 38,472 times

Advertisements

Well so far nothing bad has happened from it, so I guess it was OK after all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2014, 05:44 PM

1,166 posts, read 1,381,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by education357 View Post
Well so far nothing bad has happened from it, so I guess it was OK after all.
Really? You are able to ascertain the mental and emotional well being of every child in camp? You are confident that not a single child has gone home and cried or lashed out at a loved one after the way they were treated by this one girl? You are absolutely sure that there has not been a single negative thought from any child toward this girl, or thoughts of retaliation or revenge?

Mod cut.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 07-30-2014 at 09:01 AM.. Reason: Rude.

Old 07-30-2014, 01:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozgal View Post
Really? You are able to ascertain the mental and emotional well being of every child in camp? You are confident that not a single child has gone home and cried or lashed out at a loved one after the way they were treated by this one girl? You are absolutely sure that there has not been a single negative thought from any child toward this girl, or thoughts of retaliation or revenge?

[Snip.]

If I got this girl in trouble, I'm sure there'd be thoughts of retaliation towards the other kids for complaining, so that will happen either way.

And she might cry or lash out at a loved one by the way she was treated.

So there would be no difference.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 07-30-2014 at 09:02 AM..

Old 07-30-2014, 05:39 AM

Quote:
If I got this girl in trouble, I'm sure there'd be thoughts of retaliation towards the other kids for complaining, so that will happen either way.

And she might cry or lash out at a loved one by the way she was treated.

So there would be no difference.
You're right, there is no difference in what she might do, versus what the other kids might do, and in both cases, someone in authority needs to be informed. Her feelings matter as much as the next, but her expression of her feelings and her actions toward others is absolutely not acceptable.

If you overheard one of the other children say, "I'm going to stab Listgirl in the eye for what she did to me, the <insert a string of inappropriate for C-D names>. How dare she humiliate me like that? She's not going to ever get the chance to do it again, to me or anyone else. I'll teach her," are you going to just sit there and say, "Well, Listgirl deserves what she gets for how she treated Revengegirl. I'm not going to tell anyone for fear Revengegirl puts me on a list and wants to stab me in the eye next."

It's when the people who should have acted to knock off "meanness" don't, that results in the kids you hear about in the news snapping and going on a rampage killing spree. When no one in authority cares to protect the bullied, and all everyone does is sit there and go, "How terrible. Why did anyone let things get so bad? How did nobody know what was going on for it to get to this?"

Will it happen? Maybe not. Can it happen? Certainly. This kind of treatment has the capacity to psychologically effect people for the rest of their lives, not just until summer camp is over.

Either act like the responsible person in authority you are claiming to be and inform someone actually capable of handling this like a responsible person in authority, or go back to your fantasy world in which this kind of behavior is actually socially acceptable.

Last edited by ozgal; 07-30-2014 at 05:56 AM..

Old 07-30-2014, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozgal View Post
You're right, there is no difference in what she might do, versus what the other kids might do, and in both cases, someone in authority needs to be informed. Her feelings matter as much as the next, but her expression of her feelings and her actions toward others is absolutely not acceptable.

If you overheard one of the other children say, "I'm going to stab Listgirl in the eye for what she did to me, the <insert a string of inappropriate for C-D names>. How dare she humiliate me like that? She's not going to ever get the chance to do it again, to me or anyone else. I'll teach her," are you going to just sit there and say, "Well, Listgirl deserves what she gets for how she treated Revengegirl. I'm not going to tell anyone for fear Revengegirl puts me on a list and wants to stab me in the eye next."

It's when the people who should have acted to knock off "meanness" don't, that results in the kids you hear about in the news snapping and going on a rampage killing spree. When no one in authority cares to protect the bullied, and all everyone does is sit there and go, "How terrible. Why did anyone let things get so bad? How did nobody know what was going on for it to get to this?"

Will it happen? Maybe not. Can it happen? Certainly. This kind of treatment has the capacity to psychologically effect people for the rest of their lives, not just until summer camp is over.

Either act like the responsible person in authority you are claiming to be and inform someone actually capable of handling this like a responsible person in authority, or go back to your fantasy world in which this kind of behavior is actually socially acceptable.

Hearing that someone will die is a lot more serious than just not being talked to though.

Old 07-30-2014, 06:57 PM

One idea I am thinking of using is calling attention to what this girl did and encouraging everyone to create their own list within the group and then comparing the different lists to each other and coming up with a group list ranking the kids from best to worst.

That way the girl will be thought of as an example of how to act and that will make her still want to listen to me, but the issue can still be addressed.

Old 07-30-2014, 07:40 PM

Quote:
One idea I am thinking of using is calling attention to what this girl did and encouraging everyone to create their own list within the group and then comparing the different lists to each other and coming up with a group list ranking the kids from best to worst.

That way the girl will be thought of as an example of how to act and that will make her still want to listen to me, but the issue can still be addressed.

Whut? No.

Just, no.

Old 07-30-2014, 07:50 PM

7,098 posts, read 4,825,782 times
Quote:

Yikes.

Old 07-31-2014, 08:17 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,712,881 times
Quote:

You're not real.

Old 07-31-2014, 08:28 AM

2,365 posts, read 2,149,295 times
Quote:
I usually won't correct a child until I have their respect because otherwise I feel like they won't be receptive to what I have to say, so why bother if they are just going to ignore me?

She's usually upbeat and participatory normally though.

If there is nothing wrong with her list though, why shouldn't I listen to the gossip? Wouldn't I want to try to figure out what everyone's list is and then try to build a consensus list later on based on the merits of the various lists?
You seriously need to ask that? I'm starting to agree this must be a troll.

Even amongst adults, gossip is not considered reliable information. As it passes along the things said tend to grow and change.

You are working at a summer camp. You are acting like you are working at a penal/mental institution. You are dealing with pre-pubescents whose raging hormones elicit all sorts of 'odd behavior'. I sense you have an 'alarmist' streak running through you which is encouraged and fed by listening to camper gossip.

As a former child camper (not that you have to be a former camper to know this), children are terribly critical. They all now have a new dynamic and heirarchy to stake out and maintain a place in, away from the long established roles amongst family, school, and neighborhood. They will do or say anything to attract attention, and maintain respect.

I would ask, should you work with children in this age-group? The youngest 'tadpole' category seems more your speed. They will have a lot less for you to naturally make a mountain out of mole hill from.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology