Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2014, 08:21 AM

4,189 posts, read 3,402,741 times

Advertisements

Thanks.

I've been haunting Yelp lately. Some of the reviews have noise ratings, lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2014, 08:14 AM

104 posts, read 153,047 times
I'm kind of late for this party...but just wanted to chime in as I feel comforted by this thread. I'm an avid hater of noise and always have been. However, I do love rock and heavy metal concerts. And I do love, on occasion, a quick drive on the highway with the volume turned way up. But inappropriate noise? No way.

Inappropriate noise unnerves me and angers me to the point of distraction. And I finally figured out that it's not the noise per se but the inconsideration of the person responsible for the noise. The lack of consideration demonstrated reminds me of how powerless I really am and how futile are my efforts to control my life and circumstances. Though I may temporarily suspend such negative thoughts a crashing reminder awaits at every phase of my life.

Perhaps I was not always like this but for a few years I had to share a bedroom with a younger sibling who could only sleep with the music on. Months and years of complaints fell upon deaf ears. My parents revelled in noise. A radio was always on in our house. And later in life my mom would fall asleep with a blaring television tuned to the news (news show were not really TV in her opinion) that I could hear from my bedroom when I visited.

The agony of futility was a constant companion until I moved into my first home set in a peaceful oasis with the sounds of birds as my music. Life was grand and peaceful. I thrived at work where the constant drone of voices, TVs and radios did not bother me for as soon as I left for the day I'd be headed to sweet serenity. Then my physically distant neighbor's son came home from college for a visit...my rage at being disturbed by someone else's noise, once again, just depressed me and yet also reminded me that I needed to adjust my own settings so as to embrace the reminders of life's energy.

Ultimately I recognized that my noise abhorrence was truly displaced repressed negativity towards my sibling and family. That truly I was really angry and upset by my siblings and parents lack of consideration towards me as a youth and that I harbored those thoughts and feelings well into adulthood. When I finally acknowledged and released those emotions my tolerance levels for music and sounds skyrocketed. But I also suspect that the introduction of kids into my life also helped me temper and adjust my noise sensitivity issues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology