Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2014, 09:05 AM

1,474 posts, read 2,299,317 times

Advertisements

Psychiatrist asked me to count down from 100 by 7's.

This tasked amused me. I was giggly and entertained, felt put on the spot, judged, self-conscious...because I do my best thinking when alone. I do my worst thinking when being stared at and evaluated.

So through all my giggling and counting down by sevens, the doctor said I lost track when I got to the 70's.

I could have done better in other circumstances, but this was just so amusing to me for some reason, and I couldn't stop laughing and my brain refused to focus in a serious manner.

How well might you perform this simple-ish task if asked on the spot in a sterile, intimidating doctor's office, with no preparation?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2014, 09:13 AM

1,659 posts, read 1,657,827 times
And you pay this guy?

Old 09-26-2014, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1986pacecar View Post
And you pay this guy?
No. VA hospital. I'm an Army Veteran. She's not a "guy" but I don't ever want to see her again but I will have to because my options in life have significantly narrowed due to my mental state.

She's a highly-educated woman but I have many qualms with her, such as she insists on pushing medications on me (I refuse), and she is obese.

An obese health professional! Hah! Grrrr!

I put so much effort & energy into my physical health that I am irate when being sent to obese "health professionals." I end up giving them lectures on proper nutrition, which pisses them off. Hah. I can't help it. It's because I crave cookies & donuts & cake & ice cream just as much as they apparently do but I DON'T GIVE IN, and it requires all my strength to keep this up day after day. They appparently give in to whatever foods they want, and I have no respect for their weakness when I work so hard to maintain an ideal weight. THEY'RE the ones who need a doctor!

I am mentally crazy because of this unhealthy world we live in, run by unhealthy people, demanding that we all sacrifice our health for the almighty dollar because that's the way unhealthy, selfish people have organized the world to be.

She had me name the last four US Presidents in descending sequential order too. I did that easily. I could go all the way back to George Washington,,yes I could

Last edited by Zelpha; 09-26-2014 at 09:38 AM..

Old 09-26-2014, 09:39 AM

5,206 posts, read 4,668,615 times
Do you perhaps have trouble concentrating? What is so funny about the counting task? Why is her weight even relevant to her being a psychiatrist? At any time, you may have a number of ideas going on in your head but a functioning adult should be able to prioritize and focus on the task at hand.

Old 09-26-2014, 09:42 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,283,224 times
["I do my worst thinking when being stared at and evaluated."]

Perhaps THAT was what the psychiatrist was doing? To observe how you would react to such a challenge while being watched? (Not to determine of you are a math wiz...)

Old 09-26-2014, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adhom View Post
a functioning adult should be able to prioritize and focus on the task at hand.
Bingo! I'm not a functioning adult. Which is why I'm in treatment.

Old 09-26-2014, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adhom View Post
Why is her weight even relevant to her being a psychiatrist?.
Because I am indignant toward people who tell me what they think is best for me health-wise when they've obviously got their own huge health issues they can't even deal with.

Old 09-26-2014, 10:33 AM

8,011 posts, read 8,204,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelpha View Post
No. VA hospital. I'm an Army Veteran. She's not a "guy" but I don't ever want to see her again but I will have to because my options in life have significantly narrowed due to my mental state.
And what exactly is your mental state? Your posts here seem to indicate that it is sound enough where you shouldn't need a psychiatrist.

Old 09-26-2014, 10:39 AM

4,749 posts, read 4,321,209 times
I can't do it because I can't find the pattern (if there is one).

Old 09-26-2014, 10:59 AM

5,989 posts, read 6,776,759 times
This is a standard part of a mental status examination, and yes, I could do it easily. Totally appropriate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology