Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2014, 11:52 PM

11 posts, read 24,764 times

Advertisements

I took an online personalty test where I had to answer some questions to get a result on what type of personality I have. I actually took a couple more just to see the accuracy of the first one, and all of them showed that I was the INFP type, which basically means I like to help people, I'm an introvert, "dreamy" and don't like dealing with details or stress. All these traits sound very accurate, in fact I would say that this personality type describes me to a "T". Supposedly, only 4% of the population falls in this category and there are 16 personality types in total.

Now, I'm thinking that a lot more people must have these traits. I mean, who likes to work under stress? Who wouldn't want to work alone and help people (maybe not a lot, but still more than 4% of the population), who's not "dreamy" and gets lost in his own world? Who doesn't need some alone time after hanging out with a large group of people and being "extroverts"? A lot of people are. I read the description in other personality types, and even though I still felt I was the INFP type, I could see myself being another type at times and/or depending on the situation.

If I had to describe my personality, I would say that I am quiet for the most part. I don't like large groups or being in loud places/crowds and would prefer to hang out with fewer people doing something "casual". I do like spending time alone and having a few but good friends. I do like to help people and spread "wisdom". I don't like details/can't focus on them, and do have good ideas or spend time thinking of how things could be etc. All this stuff fits the INFP type.
But at the same time, I do like doing research and gathering facts (on things that interest me, but not when I'm forced to on topics I don't care about), I am very logical and most times I do what's right instead of what I feel like doing (according to INFP I'm more "feeling" than "logical"). If I'm dealing with something that interests me or makes me happy, I'm VERY detail oriented and want everything done right.

Long story short, I'm confused as to how accurate all these personality types are. Could someone have more than one type (or fall in between, I should say)? I find this topic very interesting but now sure how accurate it is. If someone is familiar on this topic, please ask me some questions that I can answer so you can tell me what type I am. Again, I find this topic very interesting and knowing what type of personality I have will almost change my life-or at least perspective of life and myself.

http://www.truity.com/view/types
link to all personality types and descriptions
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2014, 01:58 AM

30,527 posts, read 16,226,596 times
They're just fun tests, not to taken as seriously as you seem to be taking them.

You are what you are. No 'type' needed. No classification. No need to fit in a box.

Old 10-10-2014, 11:16 AM

3,278 posts, read 5,391,147 times
You're divergent.

Old 10-10-2014, 01:36 PM

1,706 posts, read 3,309,732 times
No personality test by itself is accurate. A good personality test may have over 300 items on it. They are created on the basis of constructs and typically based on pathology. The Myers-Briggs is probably one of a few that is based on affirming attributes. As one professional has stated, a personality test is as accurate as a fortune cookie - they are broad, bland, and offer flattering ideas of character. An accurate evaluation includes concordant data through history, interview, and multiple points of convergence on objective/subjective information. It is not just important to know your strengths as much as it is to know your flaws and limitations, and the nuances of character. This is comparable to recognizing geographical topography exclusively on the basis of mountain tops, deserts, and watersheds. Prairies are as important as woodlands, which are as important as swamps, which are as important as urbanized environments, etc. Having completed over 500 evaluations on persons, they are good at identifying needs. If you are outside a place where one is foisted upon you, it is more difficult to recognize your character and capacity as a functioning human being.

If you are comfortable in your own skin and can navigate the social realm with aplomb, consider yourself fortunate. If you can be gainfully employed, make meaningful connections with others and have a conscience, you are in a good place. Acting altruistically and having full functioning across all domains including spiritual is where the rubber meets the road. Writing in a journal is very helpful with providing you ideas of who you are and how you function. Having good friends is also a boon - they will tell you most often right off in direct fashion when you are errant. No Internet test can compare to an experience with a true professional and unless there is a reason, no professional will complete such a battery just to satisfy curiosity.

I wish you well in your pursuits.

Old 10-10-2014, 10:18 PM

12,042 posts, read 8,421,785 times
ellinas, if you'd like to explore your questions in depth and have a lot of fun doing it, check out "Typology Central." Some of the posters there are very experienced in matters of personality and will be helpful.

Another useful Myers-Briggs site is "The Personality Page."

Enjoy yourself!

Lodestar, INFP, tripping over both left feet.

Old 10-10-2014, 10:27 PM

12,042 posts, read 8,421,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellinas View Post

/ Again, I find this topic very interesting and knowing what type of personality I have will almost change my life-or at least perspective of life and myself.
I think you've hit the nail on the head regarding the value of these tests. Understanding and balancing our functions is a healthy pursuit.

Where I see real usefulness would be in relationship issues. When you have a better understanding of your partner's personality traits and the way he uses them it's a very forgiving perspective. Thinking about my DH's annoying qualities through the filter of his personality type helps me out with understanding.

Old 10-11-2014, 03:06 AM

6,387 posts, read 6,277,885 times
Regarding the Myers Briggs, i've taken it a lot being a psych student. Its interesting to see how i change (and don't) over the years. Sometimes even month to month!

My "IN" is solidified but the last letters flip flop a lot.

Old 10-11-2014, 03:32 AM

151 posts, read 183,768 times
One of the largest real estate brokerage firms in America, once, sent me to an NYC corporate psychologist for just such an evaluation. In addition to me, the guy mailed questionnaires to a half dozen people who either worked with, or had transacted business with me during the previous two years.

How accurate were the results? Pretty darn accurate! After the whole process was over I felt like I'd, 'taken my clothes off in public'. (You're right, though. Certain of the results will tell you that the way you see yourself is, somewhat, different from the way other people see you.)

Quite truthfully? Over the years all that testing and evaluation has made me feel better about just plain being me. It was, kind 'a, fun getting to see myself from, both, my outstanding personality traits as well as through other people's eyes.

Overall it's a social thing! Doesn't make you either a good, or a bad person. Doesn't make you any more, or less competent, honest, or good-looking. The main thing I think this social analysis did for me was to help me see how I relate to other people, and how other people (might) relate to me. By increasing my own knowledge about myself I was better able to adjust to the actually infinite variety of personality traits I was regularly exposed to in other people. You should, now, be able to do the same thing.

Old 10-11-2014, 08:55 AM

1,369 posts, read 2,274,669 times
I took one of those tests years ago. It was not as accurate as my horoscope.

Old 10-11-2014, 11:23 AM

151 posts, read 183,768 times
'Woman's World' Magazine quiz pages don't count.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology