Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2014, 04:50 PM

136 posts, read 118,598 times

Advertisements

see post below.

Last edited by minoviayyo; 11-12-2014 at 05:05 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2014, 04:53 PM

4,299 posts, read 2,816,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
Situational depression and chemical depression don't feel any different. So you can't know what you have. In fact, years of situational depression can cause chemical levels in the brain to change resulting in clinical depression. Just as bad sleep patterns can change the brain or poor nutrition can change the body. Just because you KNOW reasons you are depressed doesn't mean you won't respond positively to talk or medicinal therapy. For many of us depression sufferers, when our mood lifts, we are able to see ways we can proactively address the negativity that surrounds us and we can improve our situations in life.

In a way, depression is a cycle: we feel depressed, so we make life choices that give us more reasons to be depressed and our mood worsens. In the midst of a depression, one has little incentive or energy to address the bad situations that surround all of us. Look at all the people around us who have far worse situations than the ones we live in, yet they are happy. There's a reason for that. Their brains are secreting chemicals that lift their mood, even though they may surrounded by poverty, war, illness, or other suffering. Reversing depression is also a cycle. No matter how we manage to improve our moods (seeing a therapist or taking medication) we then have the desire and strength to address the things in our life that are negative ... or at least change our ways of thinking about and responding to them.
Yeah but I'm different. I saw a therapist before and they never give you advice that you can use. I am trying to work with a career counselor though but he can't help me get a regular job. I am a very complicated person. Words to me are often empty. I don't really believe things until I see them for myself.
I also am against medication. I know my GERD probly makes my depression worse. Hopefully I can get a referral for a better doctor soon.
Music is literally the only thing in my life that has ever helped me through my dark times.

Old 11-12-2014, 05:09 PM

136 posts, read 118,598 times
yes, I think i may be depressed... because:

- I hate not having standard knowledge. most people i know, friends, acquaintances, etc. tend to have partners/gfs, but I don't. and I am 35 and i don't know why to be honest i've never dated. it's as if everybody else has a higher level of knowledge/awareness, and i don't. people say to read books, but then i find few people do, and they have it.

- every effort i take to be happy consistently is scuppered. and i feel like i'm in a goldfish bowl....everybody i know closely knows what i do.

- i cannot be me, and have little autonomy over my life. everything i do i must "share" with others, i don't want to...

- I only have work to keep me happy, but then personal stuff gets too messy. Everybody else has their personal space, and it's respected, but I do not.

I guess I have a LOT of things to be grateful for, but then there is no balance. everything for me is the mundane and work, little fun, and what fun I have is scuppered. I know I sound the victim, but then I see everybody else I know has a date/gf/bf, and has their personal space, and I do not.....like I have a friend/acquaintance who has a bf and is a dance teacher, but then more often than not she does her work alone. and few others are involved in her work of her family (bar her mother, but then I doubt she interferes that much). I just feel suffocated, and don't have much space....I think this is the central reason why I feel as I do. I feel that everybody else got life knowledge in the past, and I didn't, and this why they get dates and I do not. I just don't know what greater knowledge they have or do, or what they say or don't do, that causes them to get dates.....compared to many others my age, i just feel like a dope, and as if there is some mass trick against me, and everybody is laughing...

I don't trust therapy, due to bad experiences in the past. I just find everybody else gets good treatment and I do not. Like I don't believe in God, and i reckon they'll scold me for that...or tell me to be nice to everybody, when many even with conditions are not. This all started when I was a teen, I think everybody else was told knowledge, and I was left out due to spite. Even now, I tend to hate biased/subjective people because it was them who decided to scold me/leave me out.

Last edited by minoviayyo; 11-12-2014 at 05:20 PM..

Old 11-15-2014, 08:34 PM

1 posts, read 812 times
I suffer with depression and sometimes I fell like just giving up on life but the first thing that pops up on my mind. is my kids ,but I`ve learned to live with it and when it hits I just laugh and walk away from it

Old 11-16-2014, 01:15 PM

4,299 posts, read 2,816,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minoviayyo View Post
yes, I think i may be depressed... because:

- I hate not having standard knowledge. most people i know, friends, acquaintances, etc. tend to have partners/gfs, but I don't. and I am 35 and i don't know why to be honest i've never dated. it's as if everybody else has a higher level of knowledge/awareness, and i don't. people say to read books, but then i find few people do, and they have it.

- every effort i take to be happy consistently is scuppered. and i feel like i'm in a goldfish bowl....everybody i know closely knows what i do.

- i cannot be me, and have little autonomy over my life. everything i do i must "share" with others, i don't want to...

- I only have work to keep me happy, but then personal stuff gets too messy. Everybody else has their personal space, and it's respected, but I do not.

I guess I have a LOT of things to be grateful for, but then there is no balance. everything for me is the mundane and work, little fun, and what fun I have is scuppered. I know I sound the victim, but then I see everybody else I know has a date/gf/bf, and has their personal space, and I do not.....like I have a friend/acquaintance who has a bf and is a dance teacher, but then more often than not she does her work alone. and few others are involved in her work of her family (bar her mother, but then I doubt she interferes that much). I just feel suffocated, and don't have much space....I think this is the central reason why I feel as I do. I feel that everybody else got life knowledge in the past, and I didn't, and this why they get dates and I do not. I just don't know what greater knowledge they have or do, or what they say or don't do, that causes them to get dates.....compared to many others my age, i just feel like a dope, and as if there is some mass trick against me, and everybody is laughing...

I don't trust therapy, due to bad experiences in the past. I just find everybody else gets good treatment and I do not. Like I don't believe in God, and i reckon they'll scold me for that...or tell me to be nice to everybody, when many even with conditions are not. This all started when I was a teen, I think everybody else was told knowledge, and I was left out due to spite. Even now, I tend to hate biased/subjective people because it was them who decided to scold me/leave me out.
I am the same when it comes to jobs. I guess I have things to be grateful for too and I'm not saying I'm not. I just get tired of being useless. I know you are not supposed to define yourself by your job but I can't really explain it. It's just like it validates that my existence is to be a sponge. Almost everyone around me is working. A lot of people get jobs without even trying and I try hard and I still don't get it. So many people got the knowledge they needed to get where they needed to be growing up and I never got it. Compared to many others my biological age, I am a child. Although I know in part their success is because a lot of people are more sociable than I am but I don't know how to fake it. I try to fake who I am when encountering employers and it just doesn't pan out.

When I try to talk to people who could help me I often either get ignored or like you say scolded. Maybe it was just a coincidence but it seemed like I was once locked out of an anxiety chat room after a few people were like "o O this is just too weird" While I have the career counselor from the school, it's just a shame it took me being 3 years out of school to find somebody who would actually get me closer and even then I don't know if there's anything he can do because the homework I did for him just made me all the more discouraged.

Old 01-21-2015, 07:17 PM

87 posts, read 92,959 times
No!

Old 01-21-2015, 07:34 PM

4,575 posts, read 5,201,643 times
I don't have to wonder. I know I do-though it only comes in bouts now and again.

1st came on kinda fast, had suicidal thoughts, cried constantly, didn't eat-lost 5 lbs in a week. Found no joy in anything. Did get meds for it. But I eventually took myself off of them, because I don't think they helped, and actually made some things worse that I still have a problem with.

But I don't think meds or therapy would help me. I tried both. Just bouts of depression, coupled with very very low self-esteem, been building for 11 years, maybe 12-13. But medicine and talking won't help. it's just something I have to get straight myself. If I do, great. if not, oh well. Who cares, it only effects me.

But I am relatively ok. I rarely get excited about anything. I can have fun, laugh, be content, etc. but as for being anxious or excited, that doesn't happen anymore. My mother notes that. She tries to get me Xmas gifts that will excite or dazzle me, but says it's hard. I just tell her "I just don't excite much." She then agrees and says I take after my father with that.

I jokingly tell my mother I got a mix of bad flaws from her and my father, which may be why I am messed up. She laughed. My father is overly sensitive, stubborn, and socially awkward. My mother suffers from depression, anxiety and can be very neurotic, and both can hold a grudge. I have all of that.

Old 01-22-2015, 04:46 PM

1,024 posts, read 1,042,826 times
No, I don't wonder.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology