Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2015, 08:37 PM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,461,442 times

Advertisements

While chatting with a gal I work with today, who is also a casual friend, she happened to mention that she attends a bible study class on weekends. She also volunteered, perhaps a bit defensively before I even said anything, that she "loves Jesus".

Had always previously considered her a bright and interesting individual, and that we seemed to have a lot of interests in common. But now for some reason my opinion seems to have changed considerably after hearing her "revelation". Am not sure exactly why that is, and maybe it's just a reflection of my own ignorance or prejudice. But the best explanation I can think of, is that I seem to have a lot of 'opinions' re: the intelligence, character, psychology, independence, and simply commonsense of folks who are very "religious" types (aka, "saved" by some organized religion and dogma… as opposed to having a 'spiritual' sense, or simply believing in 'God', which I have no issue with).

Though the subject involves "religion", am posting it here because my question really concerns "state of mind" (either mine or theirs…lol). So apologies if this offends anyone, as it's not my intent, as much as exploring the sources for my prejudices… and whether my assumptions are accurate or reasonable, and do others ever feel the same way? After all, we still feel whatever we feel, regardless, and simply saying it's "bad" doesn't really shed any 'light' on these kinda thangs. So aside from folks going all "p.c." on me, does anyone else share any quiet "assumptions" (aka, 'prejudices'…good or bad) about very "religious" types, and why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2015, 08:49 PM

6,234 posts, read 8,448,984 times
Sometimes I wonder where the line of religious beliefs and mental illness lies.

Old 04-07-2015, 09:21 PM

5,983 posts, read 4,279,873 times
I know the feeling. You get to know someone, thinking they are quite intelligent and interesting. A free thinker, not easily persuaded. Just like you.
Then they tell you something about their religion. Your heart sinks. How could someone so bright be influenced by religion? Very difficult to understand. I just don't get it.

Old 04-07-2015, 09:57 PM

5,481 posts, read 8,582,886 times
It's hard for me to take any adult serious who is deeply religious and believes in "god/s"

Old 04-07-2015, 11:51 PM

6,977 posts, read 5,712,002 times
You have to question the stability of an adult who's life revolves around an "imaginary friend".

Old 04-08-2015, 06:28 AM

162 posts, read 155,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by froglipz View Post
Sometimes I wonder where the line of religious beliefs and mental illness lies.
Ya especially the ones who speak in tongues..

Old 04-08-2015, 07:26 AM

25,963 posts, read 22,138,411 times
While I not among those the "love Jesus", I do believe with all my heart and soul in God and acknowledge God in all my actions. So, OP, I do somewhat understand where you are coming from. If you are younger, which I am guessing you are, it becomes a very useful trait to be able to at least tolerate diversity. Obviously, if someone like this is more than a friend, someone you are considering to spend a lifetime with, that would make a difference.

It has nothing to do with intelligence and often, among the younger, which I was once, you'll find "fluid" beliefs that will be challenged and refined over the years. When I believed in the "Jesus myth", it had nothing to do with my intelligence level but the way I was brought up, the people I was brought up among, etc. Once out in the world, I read extensively on all religions and now have my own very unique beliefs which I am very content with. I am 60 years old and settled on these beliefs in mid-to late 20s after my extensive research.

You'll find a lot of people that have all sorts of beliefs that you don't share. I know many are intimated by the mention of God or Jesus and religious principles in general but OP, I don't see you that way.

I entered the military when I was 20 and believed the "Jesus myth" and I was stationed in a more remote location that had a large population of Pentecostals, oh, my gosh, what an eye-opening experience. They PUSH their religion. It got really old and in this case, where they attempt to PUSH it on you, they is the only thing I cannot take.

I met a girl in 8th grade, that was about 1967. Her father was a Pentecostal minister. Her husband is also a minister. Although separated by great distance, we have remained friends over all these years. We respect each other's beliefs. So, I would not eliminate a great person from being a friend. Friendship is about being able to respect the other person "warts and all".

The other friend that I met that year, her grandfather was a minister and her husband a minister. She tended to view my life choices as not acceptable. We just could not remain friends.

My brother is one of the nut case religious types. I only have phone contact with him because of physical distance but when he goes off and starts in, I just simply tell him he doesn't want to go there and I change the subject. He recently alienated one of the cousins over giving that cousin a letter telling him what he needed to do with his life, this cousin believes in God and was very kind to our grandmother, a hard worker and really a kind-hearted person.

So, diversity is out there and I would not limit whom I associated with based on their "loving Jesus" and I most certainly would not consider it a lack of intelligence. I draw the line where someone is trying to force their beliefs on me and will not back off.

I would have to say that I cannot imagine myself being a close friend to someone that does not believe in God. I would not consider them to be unintelligent and what I would consider them, I won't say since I am definitely among them in this thread.

OP, glad to see you believe in God. You'll be OK.

Old 04-08-2015, 07:48 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,059,051 times
Religious individuals get on my nerves if are judgmental and try to cram their beliefs down my throat.

One gal I worked with made this comment when she learned I was divorced, "Jesus hates divorce!" I replied, "I didn't divorce Jesus." She knew nothing about my abusive marriage and how I had escaped with my life. . . could have cared less.

Another gal would spout off about her many church activities and how faithful she was. . . then she negated everything by bashing other people.

If someone wants to 'witness' to me, set a good example, that's all it takes. Actions speak louder than words.

Old 04-08-2015, 07:56 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,970,933 times
My sister is Pentecostal. She lives, eats, and breathes her religion. She's a great person, very nice, a great mom, and intelligent. So I cannot fathom how she can be so religious. I don't understand how someone can truly believe that a silent, invisible entity is responsible for all the good things that happen to the person, no matter how much effort they put into what occurred (like graduating from college with honors), yet is simultaneously not responsible for any of the bad things that happen. Yet God always gets that get out of jail free card, especially among the super religious set.

Old 04-08-2015, 08:29 AM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,461,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
While I not among those the "love Jesus", I do believe with all my heart and soul in God and acknowledge God in all my actions. So, OP, I do somewhat understand where you are coming from. If you are younger, which I am guessing you are, it becomes a very useful trait to be able to at least tolerate diversity. Obviously, if someone like this is more than a friend, someone you are considering to spend a lifetime with, that would make a difference.

It has nothing to do with intelligence and often, among the younger, which I was once, you'll find "fluid" beliefs that will be challenged and refined over the years. When I believed in the "Jesus myth", it had nothing to do with my intelligence level but the way I was brought up, the people I was brought up among, etc. Once out in the world, I read extensively on all religions and now have my own very unique beliefs which I am very content with. I am 60 years old and settled on these beliefs in mid-to late 20s after my extensive research.

You'll find a lot of people that have all sorts of beliefs that you don't share. I know many are intimated by the mention of God or Jesus and religious principles in general but OP, I don't see you that way.

I entered the military when I was 20 and believed the "Jesus myth" and I was stationed in a more remote location that had a large population of Pentecostals, oh, my gosh, what an eye-opening experience. They PUSH their religion. It got really old and in this case, where they attempt to PUSH it on you, they is the only thing I cannot take.

I met a girl in 8th grade, that was about 1967. Her father was a Pentecostal minister. Her husband is also a minister. Although separated by great distance, we have remained friends over all these years. We respect each other's beliefs. So, I would not eliminate a great person from being a friend. Friendship is about being able to respect the other person "warts and all".

The other friend that I met that year, her grandfather was a minister and her husband a minister. She tended to view my life choices as not acceptable. We just could not remain friends.

My brother is one of the nut case religious types. I only have phone contact with him because of physical distance but when he goes off and starts in, I just simply tell him he doesn't want to go there and I change the subject. He recently alienated one of the cousins over giving that cousin a letter telling him what he needed to do with his life, this cousin believes in God and was very kind to our grandmother, a hard worker and really a kind-hearted person.

So, diversity is out there and I would not limit whom I associated with based on their "loving Jesus" and I most certainly would not consider it a lack of intelligence. I draw the line where someone is trying to force their beliefs on me and will not back off.

I would have to say that I cannot imagine myself being a close friend to someone that does not believe in God. I would not consider them to be unintelligent and what I would consider them, I won't say since I am definitely among them in this thread.

OP, glad to see you believe in God. You'll be OK.
Being of the "geezer" persuasion, thx, I'm flattered (…lol)! And my 'friend' happens to be 'middle-aged', and was also raised Roman Catholic (as I was), which is why I'm all the more surprised that she's now turned 'backwards', and to Fundamentalism of all things.

So actually I get "faith", which is 'non-rational' by definition. Although maybe what annoys me the most, is I draw the line at "surrendering" everything to it, and especially doing it in that sorta presumptuous, self-satisfied way that suggests everyone else oughta 'surrender' too… if they know what's good for 'em (which BTW, your closing comment also seems to suggest)!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology