Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2015, 08:52 AM

765 posts, read 987,411 times

Advertisements

I never been that crazy about money since I don't need very luxury stuff all the time
Most of the time my leftover money after bills are for dating/friends/family time, some extra hobbies out of work, and any remaining for savings
Money can't buy me love or family
nor can it buy me time

So i can say it buys me the happiness of paying my bills and extra things I want to do but i sure don't really need to be rich

http://www.thefiscaltimes.com/2015/0...ctually-It-Can

Last edited by Mr.Professional; 08-03-2015 at 09:08 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2015, 09:05 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,296,429 times
Well a lack of money can cause trouble, especially in a relationship.

And money can certainly make some problems go away, if you have been having a lack of money and problems resulting from that.

So just enough money for your needs and the stress will be lower.

Then beyond that, excess money can cause stress - invest it, lose money, worry about it, others trying to take it, etc. (In this situation, those with nothing are happier!)

Old 08-03-2015, 09:08 AM

1,134 posts, read 1,125,322 times
I think money most certainly can make your life easier, but you can have all the money in the world and be the loneliest, saddest person.

I honestly could care less what people have and I'm not impressed by those that have money. I'm more concerned about the little things in life that matter. It's what you have in your heart and the good people and loving people that you surround yourself with that matters most to me.

I had some money during my darkest times, it made life easier, but not happier.

Old 08-03-2015, 10:44 AM

29,516 posts, read 14,679,331 times
I think if you are already a happy person, in a happy relationship money will only enhance it. My wife and I enjoy our life, but if we had the means to really travel the way we would like it definitely would bring more happiness.
Do I need a 38 Cigarette with twin 700's, a brand new diesel dually to tow it, a huge 5th wheel trailer with a garage in the bacl to fit my turbo charged 1000cc Polaris RZR , a Panerai watch, a case of Pappyvanwinkle 23 and a box of Fuente Anejo "sharks" ...no but I sure would be happy with them. But I'm am happy without though as well.
Not having to stress about work, or worry about any time of budget definitely would leave a person happier.

Old 08-03-2015, 02:25 PM

3,376 posts, read 6,109,766 times
If you work too hard to not be able to enjoy it, then no.

That's why I'm thinking it's better to just work these long-hours related jobs temporarily.
Kick them to the side for something with lesser hours and a consequent paycut after I've acquired what I needed.

Old 08-03-2015, 08:15 PM

25 posts, read 19,259 times
This must be some kinda trick question?

If money can't buy you happiness....then why are you working? Why bother pursuing a goal of owning your own home free and clear? Why bother to own your own car free and clear? Just give all your money to the banks.

Just remember when you need that root canal that you said that money can't buy your happiness. When the landlord comes asking for the rent money...and you don't have it....remind yourself that you don't need money for your happiness.

Honestly...Where do people get these ideas?

Lol...!

Old 08-03-2015, 10:51 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,612,862 times
Nope.

It can provide financial security, and thus remove a lot of potential excuses for why you can't find happiness, though.

Having money can't make you make choices that will make you happy, though. Plenty of people with plenty of money make all kinds of choices that make them miserable. If you haven't the slightest idea of how to be happy and/or what would make you happy, having ample resources may not do anything but allow you the flexibility to throw obscene amounts of money at all the wrong things and still not find any happiness.

Old 08-03-2015, 11:14 PM

4,299 posts, read 2,813,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie Mcpherson View Post
This must be some kinda trick question?

If money can't buy you happiness....then why are you working? Why bother pursuing a goal of owning your own home free and clear? Why bother to own your own car free and clear? Just give all your money to the banks.

Just remember when you need that root canal that you said that money can't buy your happiness. When the landlord comes asking for the rent money...and you don't have it....remind yourself that you don't need money for your happiness.

Honestly...Where do people get these ideas?

Lol...!
Ha right. But that's not what the OP is saying. When I think of the saying "money can't buy you happiness" as the OP said I think they generally mean you don't need to be wealthy to be happy. I would just need enough money to get by and a little extra.
But for me it's not the money itself that would make me happy. I would be much happier working minimum wage than having thousands of dollars from govt help. I have to earn it. I wouldn't be happy taking a handout from someone else.

Old 08-04-2015, 12:15 PM

7 posts, read 6,683 times
Yes i agree 101% that money can buy happiness. Money is FREEDOM to go anywhere anytime.
And I am not talking about luxury where people buy $200 shoes! or in case of Beyonce got 200k a pair. i am in pain with unhappiness because i dont have money to join friends/relatives for trips, etc and some people avoid me as they know i dont have money.
with money you can have the good life and do good things. Without money and everybody hates you. Trust me on this.

Old 08-04-2015, 02:38 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,612,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raspb View Post
Yes i agree 101% that money can buy happiness. Money is FREEDOM to go anywhere anytime.
And I am not talking about luxury where people buy $200 shoes! or in case of Beyonce got 200k a pair. i am in pain with unhappiness because i dont have money to join friends/relatives for trips, etc and some people avoid me as they know i dont have money.
with money you can have the good life and do good things. Without money and everybody hates you. Trust me on this.
This is a simplistic view, however.

In order to EARN the money, many people do not have the time or energy to reap the rewards of an abundance of available funds. It may be different if you are given the money, or come into it some way other than earning it. You may be financially able to afford to "go anywhere, anytime," at least in theory. It doesn't mean you necessarily have the flexibility or functional freedom to do so, however.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology