Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2015, 09:04 AM

4,366 posts, read 4,577,103 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhiannon67 View Post
Not my experience.

Take Kristen Lindsey....the POS rabid dog-loving veterinarian who got off bragging about trapping and then shooting a defenseless, neighborhood pet cat right through the eye. Then she hoisted the struggling cat up while impaled on an arrow to "show off" for her Facebook friends.

She is but one example of rabid dog freaks who get their kicks torturing and killing cats.

Rabid cat lovers don't do this kind of crap to dogs. We just ignore dogs as a rule.

Exactly! I just don't get why dog lovers think that just because they are willing to tolerate a retarded member of the wolf family that it automatically makes them an "animal lover." Cats are animals just like dogs are you self-centered creature! It's quite hypocritical to call yourself an "animal lover" and then focus on one pet species without acknowledging another pet species' right to exist. The people who owned the cat probably loved it as much as you love your stupid dog. Imagine that! Oh, that's right, you can't, and you also can't fathom why people would prefer other animals above dogs and "justify" it by claiming that people who prefer other animals, at the exclusion of dogs, must not "really love animals." I think that's part of the whole cat people vs. dog people issue. Some dog people are so narrow-minded that they can't seem to comprehend that a cat person may see a dog like the "dog lovers" see cats and other animals--just animals, nothing special. Try it. I've had myself barked out of a few pet forums by pointing out the obvious flaws of the "dog lovers'" beloved pet. From the way they reacted, you would have thought I was abusing a child! (it gets crazier when you learn they were making what they considered VALID arguments for euthanizing cats) It seems silly, but this is how they react when you have the courage to point out that it is indeed just a dog, not a god, not a child, and you intend to treat it as a dog (as you should. Pampered pooches ruin the world!).

Hmm...should I dig up an old thread in Great Debates?

Last edited by krmb; 08-08-2015 at 09:24 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2015, 09:34 AM

4,366 posts, read 4,577,103 times
More on this issue...

I almost feel like dog lovers have monopolized the pet care industry. For instance, I can have an "inside only" cat, but they would think me crazy to have an "inside only" dog, even if it was the size of the cat. The idea is that your dog needs exercise, but your house cat can do without. In my opinion, that just lets me know that they are out of touch with the needs of cats. The people who prescribe this treatment probably don't own cats. Cats need exercise and mental stimulation like dogs do, and more active breeds, like Siamese, might find more ways to get into trouble without having adequate outlets for their energy. Also, no vet would do a declawing surgery on a dog; they would claim it as "cruelty to animals," but they would do it to a cat, even though it can leave lasting physical and mental scars on the animal and even change its whole personality. Do dog lovers somehow think that cats are "less human" than dogs are and so are not entitled to being treated with dignity and respect?

Old 08-08-2015, 10:00 AM

1,284 posts, read 1,260,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmb501 View Post
Exactly! I just don't get why dog lovers think that just because they are willing to tolerate a retarded member of the wolf family that it automatically makes them an "animal lover." Cats are animals just like dogs are you self-centered creature! It's quite hypocritical to call yourself an "animal lover" and then focus on one pet species without acknowledging another pet species' right to exist. The people who owned the cat probably loved it as much as you love your stupid dog. Imagine that! Oh, that's right, you can't, and you also can't fathom why people would prefer other animals above dogs and "justify" it by claiming that people who prefer other animals, at the exclusion of dogs, must not "really love animals." I think that's part of the whole cat people vs. dog people issue. Some dog people are so narrow-minded that they can't seem to comprehend that a cat person may see a dog like the "dog lovers" see cats and other animals--just animals, nothing special. Try it. I've had myself barked out of a few pet forums by pointing out the obvious flaws of the "dog lovers'" beloved pet. From the way they reacted, you would have thought I was abusing a child! (it gets crazier when you learn they were making what they considered VALID arguments for euthanizing cats) It seems silly, but this is how they react when you have the courage to point out that it is indeed just a dog, not a god, not a child, and you intend to treat it as a dog (as you should. Pampered pooches ruin the world!).

Hmm...should I dig up an old thread in Great Debates?
Agree on all counts

I'd rep you if I could, lol

Old 08-08-2015, 10:03 AM

1,284 posts, read 1,260,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmb501 View Post
More on this issue...

I almost feel like dog lovers have monopolized the pet care industry. For instance, I can have an "inside only" cat, but they would think me crazy to have an "inside only" dog, even if it was the size of the cat. The idea is that your dog needs exercise, but your house cat can do without. In my opinion, that just lets me know that they are out of touch with the needs of cats. The people who prescribe this treatment probably don't own cats. Cats need exercise and mental stimulation like dogs do, and more active breeds, like Siamese, might find more ways to get into trouble without having adequate outlets for their energy. Also, no vet would do a declawing surgery on a dog; they would claim it as "cruelty to animals," but they would do it to a cat, even though it can leave lasting physical and mental scars on the animal and even change its whole personality. Do dog lovers somehow think that cats are "less human" than dogs are and so are not entitled to being treated with dignity and respect?
I see what you are trying to say....however, consider the following regarding cats:

Indoor only is the only safe way to keep cats. Why?

Because of scumbags like Kristin Lindsey, dogs that are allowed to roam wild, cars that deliberate aim for the hapless cat on the road with intent to run the poor thing over, and disease.

Indoor cats live longer than outdoor cats. You can keep a cat indoors and perfectly happy as long as you provide enough places for it climb and explore.

Old 08-08-2015, 12:02 PM

18,757 posts, read 11,787,488 times
Aww you need a Yorkie hug from Joe Joe Nightmare. My boys are well behaved and not allowed to jump on people. You would change your mind if you met my boys. They love kids too. Come on over and watch them play hide and seek with the kids. I dare you not to smile.

Old 08-08-2015, 01:21 PM

33 posts, read 35,823 times
OP here.

Thanks for the responses everyone. What I made were generalizations based on my ( rather limited) experiences. There are plenty of well behaved dogs out there with responsible owners. However there are far many more that are a significant annoyance and sometimes threat to people.

Old 08-08-2015, 01:24 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,888,561 times
Which is worse to nature...stray dogs or feral[wild] cats?

Cats will kill and eat anything smaller than itself. Dogs won't, they will go to a human for food.

How many feral cats are there for every stray dog? You only see stray dogs as feral cats like to stay unseen. There are millions of them...some hiding around your neighborhood. You may see one and assume it to be a house cat out and on the prowl. Their is a nest of them around somewhere and they breed as rabbits.

Old 08-08-2015, 02:12 PM

3,749 posts, read 4,962,707 times
Dogs are just a "sacred cow" of Germanic and Anglo-Saxon culture, just like the troops and small children. You're considered heartless if you don't have a special love for them.

Old 08-08-2015, 02:36 PM

4,299 posts, read 2,808,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TR25 View Post
I'm really beginning to dislike dogs.

Visiting others is a real pain if they have dogs. Their dogs will either go psycho jumping and nibbling at you, especially when this unwanted, or want nothing to do with you when you try to pet them. Then you always get the comment "My dog is so nice; it would never hurt anyone."Dogs can seemingly do no wrong no matter how poorly they behave.

I just don't understand how obsessed people get about their dogs and it seems to be a growing trend with dogs seemingly everywhere you go. I don't hear about people being called crazy dog people but someone with a couple cats is automatically labeled a crazy cat Person.

Cats don't go around killing people, terrorizing them (to the extent that dogs do) and tend to be much quieter. There tends to be a double standard in behavior. A scratch or paw from a cat (without even leaving a scratch on your skin) is seen as pure malice while a dog mauling (i.e. jumping, scratching, snapping) you when you come over to it just means its "excited" or "it doesn't know better." Also somehow cats are seen as uncaring and selfish pets yet dogs are "man's best friend."

Anyone else notice this bizarre phenomenon?

My aunt has had cats and they were okay I suppose but a cat has never really been fond of me. I think cats tend to be better than people but they're just not for me. At best they are too independent. The only cat I would want is Salem Saberhagen because he'd be awesome if he was a real creature (although he's not really a cat he was a person turned into a cat)
Point blank there's nothing wrong with cats but there's surely nothing wrong with dogs. A dog is generally aggressive because they pick up on the "target's" vibes. If you don't like a dog that dog is not going to like you. My dogs have never bit me not even Mr. Grumpy as I like to call him on occasion. He did bite my ex. I would have done the same thing if I wasn't worried I was going to get rabies XD. Don't get me wrong my dog irritates the crap out of me (in fact I see other people's dogs when I'm walking as the innocent bystanders and him as the problem) sometimes but that doesn't mean he is an evil creature. He is actually very friendly towards people sometimes too friendly if anything. I think there is only one real problem with dogs and it isn't the dogs. It's with the people. They either see them as those creatures who can do whatever they want or submissive/easily manipulated creatures. When you hear all these cases of animal abuse, is it any wonder why they turn out the way that they do? One should never get physical with a dog but at the same time don't be letting them shat all over your house either. They are not all that hard to handle if one is willing to be patient in helping them learn and if they listen to the dog (it's a two way street). They are definitely less maintenance than a child as they tend to pick up certain things quicker.
I have only seen one ignorant dog in my life and that was a rottweiler. He had killed my rabbit right in front of me as I was watching her so I won't deny there is such a thing as a malicious dog. It's just a rare thing and anyway that wasn't really the fault of the dog it was the fault of the owner. They left him outside by himself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by armory View Post
Which is worse to nature...stray dogs or feral[wild] cats?

Cats will kill and eat anything smaller than itself. Dogs won't, they will go to a human for food.

How many feral cats are there for every stray dog? You only see stray dogs as feral cats like to stay unseen. There are millions of them...some hiding around your neighborhood. You may see one and assume it to be a house cat out and on the prowl. Their is a nest of them around somewhere and they breed as rabbits.
There was a woman who used to live here who lost her cat to a stray cat. I never saw it but from the way she was talking it sounded as brutal as a dog on the attack if not more. At the same time I think a person was wrong to just dump that cat to fend for themselves. So obviously I think this proves that cats can just be as scorn as dogs if you're not careful.

Last edited by Nickchick; 08-08-2015 at 02:58 PM..

Old 08-08-2015, 03:29 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,646,108 times
I like dogs and cats, they're different that's all. I like birds and even bugs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology