Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2015, 07:04 PM

4,382 posts, read 2,281,751 times

Advertisements

Are people who were bullied as children more likely to become powertrippers as adults?

In other words, are they more likely to become bullies themselves as adults if they find themselves in a position of power over people?

Especially if they associate the people they are powertripping over with the people who bullied them as children?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2015, 08:19 PM

589 posts, read 696,409 times
A bullied child can become an adult bully, become a doormat, or develop self-esteem and turn out emotionally-stable. It's up to the individual. Are they more likely to be powertrippers? ...Who knows? Plenty of people had terrible childhoods and were victims of childhood bullying but overcame it. The thing is, you won't see these people in statistics because they may have never been to a therapist.

If you're dealing with a bully with childhood issues then yes it is possible he/she associates you with their past bullies, but what makes you think that? Unless they remark that you remind them of so-and-so then you couldn't know.

Old 10-23-2015, 08:34 PM

4,382 posts, read 2,281,751 times
Thanks for the reply Den.

Its on another forum and I think a moderator is powertripping a part of the forum. The subforum consists of aggressive types who admit to being bullies as children. I think the mod was bullied too.

I wonder if her powertripping them, being overly strict, etc., could be her way of getting revenge against people who probably remind her of her childhood bullies. She has caused a lot of people to leave the forum because she is so strict and annoying. She has even caused other mods to leave. She's very haughty and arrogant and insists on having everything her way.

Old 10-24-2015, 11:19 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,992,173 times
They don't wait to become adults. They take it out on other little kids, as bullies at school.

Old 10-24-2015, 11:21 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,431,754 times
"Power trippers" are usually authority figures that call u on your stuff
Trust me head of p stone is never called a power tripper
Well ok maybe just once

Old 11-25-2015, 03:04 PM

9,894 posts, read 22,027,890 times
I believe some have grown up to be cops.

Old 11-26-2015, 01:26 PM

15 posts, read 22,362 times
I guess so. though it depends on the individual.

Old 11-26-2015, 02:07 PM

3,167 posts, read 4,003,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moongirl00 View Post
Are people who were bullied as children more likely to become powertrippers as adults?

In other words, are they more likely to become bullies themselves as adults if they find themselves in a position of power over people?

Especially if they associate the people they are powertripping over with the people who bullied them as children?
I don't think so. I think people who are bullied become more empathetic towards other people who lack power.

On the other hand, it's possible to be raised long-term in a community where bullying is the norm, and so one doesn't know any other way. It's kill or be killed, so people who come from those environments are often aggressive as a defense mechanism, which can come off as bullying.

I walk the line between the two. On the one hand, I'm sensitive to how other people feel and don't want to hurt anyone. On the other, I worry about seeming weak and then becoming a victim again, so if I feel someone is attacking me I go on the offensive - except sometimes the person doesn't mean to attack me and I just come off too aggressive.

Old 11-26-2015, 06:17 PM

50,795 posts, read 36,501,346 times
I was bullied mainly because I had some insecurities. Vulnerability is one of those things bullies sense. As an adult though I still have that empathetic, overly sensitive personality, I have never had the emotional stuff needed to power trip anyone. I would imagine most people retain similar traits in adult life, and the sensitive kids become sensitive adults, and the power tripping bullies become the adult power tripping bullies. I don't think most people change all that much.

Old 11-27-2015, 03:17 AM

1,562 posts, read 1,492,364 times
I don't know that being bullied drives this. I would attribute it more to insecurities. People who feel they aren't respected or feel powerless for any number of reasons. We see the types; They want to be the hall monitor in grade school, the RA at university, the forum moderator, mall security guard, etc. All of which they take way too seriously. And yeah, lots of them dream of being cops. Not because they want to help their community, but because "NOW people ARE going to respect me"!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology