Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2015, 07:59 PM

7,588 posts, read 6,630,428 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
In my experience, it's not uncommon for poor writers to have poorly reasoned and supported arguments, as well.
Correct. Lazy, disorganized typing often goes hand in hand with lazy, disorganized thinking. Not always - and probably not even usually - but often enough that when I see a poorly spelled and sloppily structured post, I frequently find myself discounting the writer's argument from the moment I begin reading it. I'll often catch myself partway through, realize that the writer really does have a good point after all, and then go back and re-read it, but I think more often than not I realize by the end of the post that they really didn't have anything particularly intelligent to say.

Sorry - I know that's unfair, and I don't mean to judge people. But it is what it is. I usually don't have much trouble spotting the writing style of people with dyslexia or other disorders, or people for whom English is a second language, and I know there are some pretty bright people out there who just never did learn to read or write properly. But for the most part, people who don't know how to organize a paragraph or can't be bothered to go to "the trouble" of writing it properly aren't really worth reading.

"Oh, it's just the internet, I'm only here to have fun" doesn't mean anything to me. If organized thinking and clear communication are not important to you, then whatever you have to say is automatically going to be less important to me. Why should it be otherwise? If you don't want to take the trouble to make your point clear, why should I go to the trouble of trying to break it down?

But that said, I rarely if ever call someone out on their writing ability or style. Unless we're in an intense conversation, it's probably none of my business. I just scroll down and read the next post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2015, 08:26 PM

8,390 posts, read 11,606,714 times
Grammar Nazi's are usually perfectionist and also have issues correcting people in person as well. GN's get easily agitated and uncomfortable when they see mistakes others make, and almost become livid with themselves when they make a mistake. (especially if someone else catches it, or it's written in stone and the edit button has expired) They can't help it, they are ill. (Says the wife of an editor) You should see my husband correct my texts, I purposely misspell words and use text talk to entertain myself watching him correct me in between communications. If I didn't make light of it I'd go insane.

Don't worry, my own faults make a balanced relationship. lol

Old 12-04-2015, 08:32 PM

26,143 posts, read 19,846,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haeley_Ramirez
Whats with people here mAking a deal out of spelling?
Im not 1 of t hem believe me!!!

I dont care how something is spelled as long as I kan reed it!!

Ah man!!

Old 12-04-2015, 08:33 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,868,361 times
(Let's eat grandma?) Let's eat, grandma?
Because you don't want to eat grandma.

Old 12-04-2015, 08:36 PM

1,615 posts, read 1,642,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
OMG, OP, if you're going to start a thread, at LEAST spell the words in your title correctly.

I know, I'm older and grew up with spelling bees and grammar lessons almost every day in school, and it bothers me to see such decline in spelling and grammAr. Modern technology (spell check, computers, texting) is NO excuse!

It also bothers me when someone doesn't care about them.

I find it hard to even read a poorly constructed sentence, poor grammar and miss-spelled words included.
They did that on purpose to make their point!!

Old 12-04-2015, 08:40 PM

8,390 posts, read 11,606,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raena77 View Post
(Let's eat grandma?) Let's eat, grandma?
Because you don't want to eat grandma.
LMAO!!!! You never know on here, someone might want to eat grandma.

Old 12-04-2015, 08:43 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
Grammar Nazi's are usually perfectionist and also have issues correcting people in person as well. GN's get easily agitated and uncomfortable when they see mistakes others make, and almost become livid with themselves when they make a mistake. (especially if someone else catches it, or it's written in stone and the edit button has expired) They can't help it, they are ill. (Says the wife of an editor) You should see my husband correct my texts, I purposely misspell words and use text talk to entertain myself watching him correct me in between communications. If I didn't make light of it I'd go insane.
Do you also purposely use possessive forms in place of plurals?

Old 12-04-2015, 08:46 PM

1,615 posts, read 1,642,078 times
We have many foreigners in our country who may be trying to learn our language,how to spell and read. It doesn't come easy especially how it changed in the 70s. We need to be courteous to them. Some people use poor grammar to be funny and that's okay too. Some of us may take things too seriously and we come across as lacking patience. All who post are trying to make a point and we need to be sometimes a bit more courteous.

Old 12-04-2015, 08:47 PM

2,993 posts, read 4,306,326 times
I trie 2 spel gooder then other posterrs on hear. Sum times, I got cerrekted on my gramer but most city data peeple r gooder peeple then that and let It slide.

Old 12-04-2015, 08:47 PM

2,024 posts, read 1,315,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StAcKhOuSe View Post
in b4 mod lock

gonna play devil's advocate here. I don't care about grammer either. sometimes, explorer autocorrects which is good. but I am usually at work and writing out rushed responses and I don't bother with grammer, capitalization, and all that crap. sometimes, ill try, but other times, I am either busy at work, drunk, or just lazy. im relatively successful otherwise so I don't care what people on here think. people can think I am dumb all they want, but I know I aint, and that's all that matters.

don't listen to these people. they have a superiority complex with the whole grammer thing. theres always something people are insecure about, so they find flaws in other and belittle them for it. lack of spelling or grammar is the easiest thing to call out someone on without actually knowing them.
This is a good example. I didn't read the whole post, and I usually don't read posts written like that.
I don't care about typos, but whatever is going on here isn't typos due to speed or typing on a phone while riding a motorcycle.
StAcKhOuSe is likely to be an interesting person because he is here; I dunno.
But consider how 99/100 times if a person wearing flip flops and an old tee shirt starts talking to you on the sidewalk, you aren't going to meet an interesting person. He's just going to eventually ask you for money. Why wade through a long story of those 99 just in cae this might be the 1/100 one?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology