Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2015, 08:59 PM

49,927 posts, read 60,015,385 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SinaloaPaisa View Post
Its not my choice. It is my sister's choice. I will respect what ever decision she makes. No hard feelings what so ever. Just fleeting disappointment. Doesn't mean I will be apart of it though.
So you plan to punish your sister by boycotting her wedding if she doesn't abide by your wishes???

This says that you value your relationship with your dad more than your sister. Is that true??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2015, 09:04 PM

245 posts, read 193,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
So you will not respect her decision and you are correct, you do not know the circumstance with me and my donor.

Just the same way you do not know the circumstance between your sister and her father.
See how that is the same scenario?
There is a difference between respecting a decision and being apart of something.

I know the circumstance between my father and sister. It was all well known.

Nonetheless, regardless he has a mental illness which has to be accounted for.

Old 12-28-2015, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
So you plan to punish your sister by boycotting her wedding if she doesn't abide by your wishes???

This says that you value your relationship with your dad more than your sister. Is that true??
No, I am a man of principle and conviction. I will boycott (and have) my father as I will do anyone depending on the circumstances.

I do not really view it as punishing her. It is her decision to make. Her wedding will go on with or without me.

I value all of my family, but not any specific one over the other when principle and conviction is at stake. If I feel strongly that something is wrong I will not be apart of it.

As I would not expect them to do as well if the tables were revered.

Old 12-28-2015, 09:07 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,296,816 times
Quote:
There is a difference between respecting a decision and being apart of something.

I know the circumstance between my father and sister. It was all well known.

Nonetheless, regardless he has a mental illness which has to be accounted for.

Well of course it does because he should never be held accountable for his actions.....<gag>

so let me just answer the original question in your title.

YES, you are out of line here.

I wish you all you deserve in your lifetime and I do hope your Sister has a lovely joyous wedding day,
in spite of you.

Old 12-28-2015, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Well of course it does because he should never be held accountable for his actions.....<gag>

I wish you all you deserve in your lifetime and I do hope your Sister has a lovely joyous wedding day,
in spite of you.
I am sure she will. I am no integral piece of her wedding, certainly no more than a Father ought be. Her wedding will go on splendid with or without me.

Old 12-28-2015, 09:20 PM

49,927 posts, read 60,015,385 times
Quote:
No, I am a man of principle and conviction. I will boycott (and have) my father as I will do anyone depending on the circumstances.

I do not really view it as punishing her. It is her decision to make. Her wedding will go on with or without me.

I value all of my family, but not any specific one over the other when principle and conviction is at stake. If I feel strongly that something is wrong I will not be apart of it.

As I would not expect them to do as well if the tables were revered.
Punishing her is exactly what it looks like you are doing. You gave her an ultimatum.

You are WAY out of line.

"Sticking to your principles" sounds like a cop-out. It's a way to (supposedly) hold yourself "above it all" and attempt to make yourself look like the better man when actually it makes you look immature and judgmental.

You have NO IDEA what your sister went through with your dad. You claim to have such high principles, yet you expect your sister to abandon HER principles "for one day," for your dad's sake. It's hypocritical.

Old 12-28-2015, 09:22 PM

4,978 posts, read 5,776,612 times
Why can't your sister walk herself down the aisle? She is not a piece of property to be given away.

If you supported your sister, you would attend, regardless of how she chooses to progress down the aisle.

And yes, you are out of line.

Old 12-28-2015, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
Punishing her is exactly what it looks like you are doing. You gave her an ultimatum.

You are WAY out of line.

"Sticking to your principles" sounds like a cop-out. It's a way to (supposedly) hold yourself "above it all" and attempt to make yourself look like the better man when actually it makes you look immature and judgmental.

You have NO IDEA what your sister went through with your dad. You claim to have such high principles, yet you expect your sister to abandon HER principles "for one day," for your dad's sake. It's hypocritical.
Looks can be deceiving.

Might sound like a cop-out to you, but it is truly how I feel about the matter. It is not about me being above anyone or looking better (makes me look bad actually). It is all about me being true to myself and my convictions. What I feel is right and wrong.

I want my sister to atleast take my counsel and make the decision she feels is right. I want her to keep her principles. If her principles tell her to not include our father I will understand and respect that. That doesn't mean I will hold hard feelings or that I must be apart of it.

Old 12-28-2015, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachSalsa View Post
Why can't your sister walk herself down the aisle? She is not a piece of property to be given away.

If you supported your sister, you would attend, regardless of how she chooses to progress down the aisle.

And yes, you are out of line.
I only support people (family included) who I feel are doing the right thing. I can not support stuff I feel is wrong.

Old 12-28-2015, 09:30 PM

5,940 posts, read 3,578,306 times
Quote:

in spite of you.

You don't have a right to judge this man. If his Father was sick, as he said he was, then its not like he chose his path, no more than a person who loses both legs can choose to walk on them.

His mother did not have to stay married to him, if he did not seek treatment right away, but you don't know the History here either. You can't condemn some one for life because they became mentally ill. Its not like its a choice.

I think he is right, in his convictions. You only have one Father, and we don't have much say over mental problems. If Mom and Sister choose to disown him, that's fine, but he does not have to be a part of an act of revenge, or agree with it. Excluding the Father is an act of revenge, nothing else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology