Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2016, 12:49 AM

1,881 posts, read 1,483,683 times

Advertisements

Yeah, those kids might be "athletic" now, but they'll be obese as adults and develop diabetes. What atrocious diets. Shame on the parents for catering to it. This crap starts with sugary baby food.

P.S. Their "anger management" issues and "OCD" behavior will change when they get proper nutrition. It's stupid to punish them by taking away privileges. But it's equally stupid to let them subsist on that crap. They probably already have signs of vascular inflammation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2016, 01:01 AM

2,966 posts, read 5,218,598 times
I have a family member who has a daughter like this. She lives on the other coast, so I don't know what goes on in the kids' lives other than divorce and the parents partying and traveling the world a lot. Since childhood she would only eat starches like mac and cheese and refuses to touch any food in a restaurant.
I think her brain development has been really messed up, growing up on this diet of processed starch.

The daughter has had this orthorexia or selective eating going on since young childhood, and now appears to be headed into anorexia and ocd in the pre teen years as she is a walking skeleton and refuses to eat in general. Her mother is also showing signs of anorexia and recently went down to 90 lbs and blamed it on a case of "pink eye"....? I am predicting that as she becomes a teen, she and her mother will share this disease with each other in some dysfunctional way. They have been remodeling and have had no kitchen or cooking appliances for a year in their own home, due to a "slow contractor."

This child and her brother were also raised by "techie" parents and have played video games and had their heads stuck in mobile devices since before 8 years old...along with that they have been diagnosed with add and adhd and all of those other disorders that kids raised like this get to be labelled with.

Old 01-23-2016, 02:51 AM

1,248 posts, read 824,229 times
How is it good parenting to force food down a kid's throat that his body simply won't take? Diferent organisms have different needs. When I was a kid, my parents tried to force a chocolate-and-coconut bar on me, something that would have been a treat for most other kids. I was OK with the chocolate, but the coconut and the whole element of forcing: "Take this! You need to eat this!" did not go down well. It ended with me throwing up all over the kitchen. It was not an allergy or anything, it was simply that my body refused to take new, unknown food that was forced on me.

I am a picky eater to this day, so what? I buy and cook my own stuff. I would occasionally try new dishes on social occasions, and even if I don't, nobody ever makes it a problem, if I have not tasted their new salad. And it is not a disorder by any means.

Ah yes, and I don't like anything sweet very much, a small bite of cake or chocolate at the most. If I could, I would subsist on a diet of meat and potatoes. And I am not obese either. 175 cm/64 kg - how's that?

Old 01-23-2016, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norne View Post
How is it good parenting to force food down a kid's throat that his body simply won't take?
This is a North American problem. All over the rest of the world, children who have not been exposed to the typical American diet of processed garbage and fast food eat vegetables, whole grains, legumes, and other healthy foods. These kids are not a different species with different nutritional needs, nor is it a case of their bodies "simply not taking" food. You don't see this crap in France, where children eat at mealtimes and one after-school snack, and eat nutritious food because the parents actually take the time to prepare it. They are not allowed to snack randomly during the day, and they are not given food as rewards. This is all the parents' doing. The mothers probably eat garbage themselves, are terrible cooks, and can't be arsed to read a few parenting books on how to prepare foods children like in nutritious ways.

Old 01-23-2016, 05:27 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
Selective Eating Disorder - tell me all you know!

Strangely nonexistent in countries where people are starving.

Old 01-23-2016, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasperJade View Post
This is a North American problem. All over the rest of the world, children who have not been exposed to the typical American diet of processed garbage and fast food eat vegetables, whole grains, legumes, and other healthy foods. .
Yup.
And it is possible to do this here, as we have done with both our kids.

The other day, my friend put a video on facebook of the first time his son tried a tomato. HE'S FIVE.
WTF?!

Old 01-23-2016, 05:44 PM

2,936 posts, read 2,335,424 times
There is a difference between and eating disorder and disordered eating.

Quote:
Disordered eating describes a variety of abnormal eating behaviors that, by themselves, do not warrant diagnosis of an eating disorder.
The real dividing line being linked to the severity of the disordered behaviors and the motivation behind it. It's one thing to not eat chicken because you don't like it's taste, texture etc... that's not that big of a deal if the child is still healthy and getting all of his nutritional needs met through other foods.

Old 01-23-2016, 05:53 PM

1,248 posts, read 824,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasperJade View Post
This is a North American problem. All over the rest of the world, children who have not been exposed to the typical American diet of processed garbage and fast food eat vegetables, whole grains, legumes, and other healthy foods. These kids are not a different species with different nutritional needs, nor is it a case of their bodies "simply not taking" food. You don't see this crap in France, where children eat at mealtimes and one after-school snack, and eat nutritious food because the parents actually take the time to prepare it. They are not allowed to snack randomly during the day, and they are not given food as rewards. This is all the parents' doing. The mothers probably eat garbage themselves, are terrible cooks, and can't be arsed to read a few parenting books on how to prepare foods children like in nutritious ways.
I am not North American, my mother is an excellent cook, I don't eat fast food and processed garbage, and my body still does not take some foods. None of what you wrote applies to me.

Old 01-23-2016, 06:17 PM

What does "not take food" mean?

Old 01-23-2016, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norne View Post
I am not North American, my mother is an excellent cook, I don't eat fast food and processed garbage, and my body still does not take some foods. None of what you wrote applies to me.
You are not what the OP is talking about. You probably DO have a food allergy of some sort.

Children's bodies do not "reject" nutritious food unless they have a food allergy, and even then, it is specific to the food. Please stay on topic. The OP is talking about crappy junk food. NO ONE'S body is designed to live on that garbage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology