Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2016, 09:16 PM

1,519 posts, read 1,772,773 times

Advertisements

Sex is one strong drive in the animal species which includes us humans. I have seen loving relationships turn sour too many times to not believe that love is a constant changing emotion. But I have seen many loving relationships continue through time also. But the old saying used to be love is lust. Is that true mostly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2016, 09:38 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,917,022 times
In the ancient Greek language, they have three words that converted to English, all get translated into love, yet the Greek words mean completely different things.

eros= lust of the flesh
fileo=friendship
agape=This is the selfsacrificing love one has for children and sometimes a spouse or gf/bf, when you give of yourself for the happiness and well being of the other person.

ITs too bad english didn't adopt similar language and usage, because lust is just that, but has no relationship to genuine love that makes a relationship work for years. Sadly, way too many people get married, just because they are in lust.

Old 02-27-2016, 07:51 PM

12 posts, read 11,019 times
I wouldn't say 'love is lust', but it's fair to propose that a great many people get swept away by the rush of oxytocin and other hormones that flood the brain in the early stages of a relationship, then aren't able to adapt [or find they're incompatible], once that initial wave subsides. That wave isn't what many people would call real love, which is rooted in more stable emotional and cognitive ground and not as affected by surges of chemistry.

A friend of mine introduced me to the Four Greek Loves [what augiedogie missed was Storge, which he or she seems to have consolidated with Agape], and also an interesting taxonomy of love styles as devised by Psychologist John Alan Lee. Love takes many forms. It's part of what makes it so captivating to the imagination.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology