Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2016, 02:17 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,089,277 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihatepeoplesomuch View Post
Why is it only used for women, kids & pets? I just want to get at the thinking behind it... Do you just not feel the same emotion towards men as you do kids or pets?
Cute to me means ... cute. I don't see men as cute, that's all. The word doesn't apply. Well, maybe if they're dressed in a giant rubber ducky costume or something. :-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2016, 02:19 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,089,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajams22 View Post
As a gay man, I think it's ridiculous when straight guys can't just admit another dude is attractive. You don't have to be sexually attracted to them, but you can obviously (and objectively) tell when someone is just good looking
"Attractive" is not always "cute". The two terms are not synonymous.

Old 03-28-2016, 04:05 PM

432 posts, read 359,948 times
Quote:
Why is it only used for women, kids & pets? I just want to get at the thinking behind it... Do you just not feel the same emotion towards men as you do kids or pets?
No, of course not.
I also don't feel the same emotion towards kids or pets as I do towards women, which is probably best, from a moral and legal standpoint....

Quote:
I'm wondering if it's just a societal thing or if it is the wiring of a man's brain vs. a female's brain.
Maybe it's just a linguistic thing. If I don't use a certain word in a certain context, I'm not likely to link that word in my mind to a particular perception or feeling. Which I guess would make it social. I really don't think it's neurological.

For example, I'm sure that you've noticed certain masculine guys who are successful with the ladies, but do you identify them as "buck-studs"? Thought not. Same observation, different lexical response.

Last edited by Pughnose; 03-28-2016 at 04:14 PM..

Old 03-28-2016, 04:06 PM

432 posts, read 359,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
Cute to me means ... cute. I don't see men as cute, that's all. The word doesn't apply. Well, maybe if they're dressed in a giant rubber ducky costume or something. :-)
I went to a party like that once. I felt underdressed....

Old 03-28-2016, 06:18 PM

2,639 posts, read 1,995,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
I don't see men as cute, that's all. The word doesn't apply.
Precisely.

In answer to the title of this thread, No, We Do Not.

Last edited by Tim Randal Walker; 03-28-2016 at 06:29 PM..

Old 03-28-2016, 10:32 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,843,194 times
Quote:
I asked in the first post:

So my question is, do straight guys feel a sense of "cuteness" with their friends? Don't they think it's cute when their friends do things for them? Do straight guys think other men are "cute"? (not in a purely sexual context but in a more visual and emotional context) Why are they so afraid to show it?

I asked in the visual way and the emotional way but most guys on here answered in the visual way which is only part of what I asked
No, it's not a definition supported by any dictionary I've found; look it up. If a guy treks through a blizzard to help me dig out my car, that's cool - there's nothing "cute" about it.

Old 03-28-2016, 10:36 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,843,194 times
Quote:
What if women were to call a man cute? Is that seen as a negative or a positive?

It just seems so odd that a simple feeling or word is completely banned from the straight male world. If I were a guy, I would certainly feel glad about being called cute because someone is appreciating me.

Maybe the word is overused or used inappropriately by some women (check mirror) and her foisting it on half the population is a bit odd.

Old 03-28-2016, 10:41 PM

13,814 posts, read 28,501,960 times
Men are visual. Women are emotional.

As far as straight men are concerned, the act of another adult doing something cute, or another adult being visually cute, is reserved for the opposite sex. Period.

Old 03-28-2016, 11:34 PM

4,326 posts, read 1,262,588 times
Puppies and kittens are cute. Adult men (if attractive) are considered handsome.

Old 03-28-2016, 11:52 PM

1,133 posts, read 1,350,567 times
Among heterosexual males, there are 'unspoken rules'. Those rules include certain 'words' (spoken and unspoken) 'mannerisms', 'behaviors' and lastly but certainly not least 'rules of engagement' with each other...up to and including: how to approach and knock on a boss' door...or to the door necessary to open, before engaging in a job-interview, business-meeting or political/financial-discussion of some sort. This also involves how to offer one's hand (for a handshake) who offers the hand first, and how 'firm' or 'limp' the handshake is, is definitely 'judged' by the person who is 'higher-up' than the other.

It occurs to me that you ladies might not even be aware that us guys even have 'unspoken rules of engagement' while in the men's room. If there's two urinals right next to each other...not much to decide, but what if there's three, four or five, where does one stand ? conversation ? look at the wall or each other ? etc, etc...

Oh yes...there ARE rules...and men are (by and large) COMFORTABLE with the rules. It just makes things go...smoother.

The male (of the human-species) was imbued with the very same 'fight or flight' instinct that most in the animal-kingdom were, and I suspect that it'll take quite a few more millennia before those instincts are 'erased' from the human-psyche, so...to the OP I have only this to say:

GOOD LUCK with your 'not-quite-so-ambiguous-crusade-against-masculinity' as you would have us believe you are NOT really trying to initiate here.

NATURE will have it's 'way' and/or decide the 'fate' of the future of humanity, rather than YOU or the rest of your 'oh-so progressive thinking' generation.

You wanna ice-skate uphill, that's your choice, but keep in mind you're not the only one who'se tried. Many have gone before you, down this same road, and....well....look around.

Guys are STILL guys, we do what we do, and we're probably just gonna keep-on keeping-on.

:: shrugs ::
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology