Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-14-2019, 12:34 AM

3,255 posts, read 1,722,670 times

Advertisements

Or is social media and internet a bigger contributor towards this?

I feel like ever since the introduction of mass advertising, people have been eager to always jump on the boat into something be it sports, cars, cinema, education, military service or gaming

Then once social media took hit, people kinda started taking a toll and made people more obsessed with reaching certain milestones in their life such as travelling to a new place or trying out a new activity or hobby.

It is so weird that we acknowledge we can't always have it all due to social, financial or economical reasons and yet we're always so eager to you know get the most out of any trend or activity without hesitation

What do you guys think? And do you often get the feelings every once in awhile?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2019, 08:18 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,984,705 times
Social media is just an extension of "mass advertising."

Yes, both can trigger FOMO. Magazine ads were long accused of promoting feelings of inadequacy in people. Now that people can publish their own versions of a public image, it seems like it's everywhere.

Really, though, it's up to each person to regulate their own emotions. Part of maturing means being able to acknowledge and understand that other people get to do/be things we can't, and that's ok.

Comparison is the thief of joy. Be satisfied with what you have and who you are or spend your life in regret.

Old 09-14-2019, 08:42 AM

6,468 posts, read 3,987,792 times
I'm not sure what this has to do with "having a disorganized life." Like, if my house is a mess, it's going to make me lose sleep at night over whether I have enough "likes" on Instagram? Or, because I've not gotten around to detailing my car/going to grad school/altering those too-long pants/asking for a raise, I'm supposed to suffer from anxiety about how many countries I've visited?

Or maybe, just maybe, people realize that time flies and you can never count on having tomorrow, and they want to enjoy their lives and get everything out of them that they can, and would rather do things they like and find fun than do nothing but mow the lawn and argue with their spouse about the daycare bill and go grocery shopping in sit in rush-hour traffic.

Old 09-14-2019, 08:48 AM

20,722 posts, read 16,389,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
Social media is just an extension of "mass advertising."

Yes, both can trigger FOMO. Magazine ads were long accused of promoting feelings of inadequacy in people. Now that people can publish their own versions of a public image, it seems like it's everywhere.

Really, though, it's up to each person to regulate their own emotions. Part of maturing means being able to acknowledge and understand that other people get to do/be things we can't, and that's ok.

Comparison is the thief of joy. Be satisfied with what you have and who you are or spend your life in regret.
I do agree with this in general. However, as a pretty extreme introvert I find that I'm late to find out and try many things that I end up really enjoying. I suppose if I NEVER learned of them I'd be just as well off? But that's hard to gauge. Of course when you purposely expose yourself to social media or whatever source then you have to also make a conscious effort choosing what you want to imbibe and engage in.

Old 09-14-2019, 08:49 AM

20,722 posts, read 16,389,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luciano700 View Post

I feel like ever since the introduction of mass advertising, people have been eager to always jump on the boat into something be it sports, cars, cinema, education, military service or gaming

Then once social media took hit, people kinda started taking a toll and made people more obsessed with reaching certain milestones in their life such as travelling to a new place or trying out a new activity or hobby.

It is so weird that we acknowledge we can't always have it all due to social, financial or economical reasons and yet we're always so eager to you know get the most out of any trend or activity without hesitation

Are you implying that people with "messy" lifestyles somehow have a more external locus of control and are more likely to look to others to decide if their lives are satisfactory or if they are "missing out"? That's a pretty big leap and generalization.

Old 09-15-2019, 05:24 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,184,054 times
To answer the question in your OP title, no.

And I don’t know what you are driving at in your OP, either.

Old 09-15-2019, 05:34 PM

61,749 posts, read 87,217,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luciano700 View Post

Huh? Not really.
Advertising of goods was introduced in 1873 and it was always present in printed newspapers, flyers, banners, hand-written notes, neon signs. Later through radio and TV. Now through Internet (not only social media, but also the pesky popup ads and trailers).
People always wanted new cars, appliances, houses, travel, clothes, jewelry - because they were advertised and made appealing to them.
Advertising isn't new, just adapted a new form.

Some people go into debt becuse they can`t resist temptation and want everything what others want - follow the trends.
Debts aren't new also.

Clarify "disorganized life trigger" - I don' see any association there.
You mean that people with "disorganized life jump on the boat into something be it sports, cars, cinema, education, military service or gaming" ? ...

Old 09-16-2019, 12:38 AM

3,255 posts, read 1,722,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Huh? Not really.
Advertising of goods was introduced in 1873 and it was always present in printed newspapers, flyers, banners, hand-written notes, neon signs. Later through radio and TV. Now through Internet (not only social media, but also the pesky popup ads and trailers).
People always wanted new cars, appliances, houses, travel, clothes, jewelry - because they were advertised and made appealing to them.
Advertising isn't new, just adapted a new form.

Some people go into debt becuse they can`t resist temptation and want everything what others want - follow the trends.
Debts aren't new also.

Clarify "disorganized life trigger" - I don' see any association there.
You mean that people with "disorganized life jump on the boat into something be it sports, cars, cinema, education, military service or gaming" ? ...
Well yeah, the urge to feel hmm how can I put it? The urge to feel like you're partaking in something that's relevant and fashionable right?

And well why would having a disorganized life trigger? Just simply put because being disorganized means you aren't sufficient enough to have more locus outside of certain comfort zones

The other thing about it is that so many things have a once-in-a-lifetime scheme to them, which probably can even motivate or dis-motivated the person to take action depending on the worthiness of said thing

Granted I may sound biased since I am speaking for myself, but I noticed whenever some people don't feel like they really have much going due to the whole "not pulling myself by the bootstraps" mentality they feel very dis-motivated and lack enthusiasm for any certain activity or hobby because some might require passion or dedication or even risk taking

Of course there are people who live in cars for example and just are happy with what they got at the moment. Not every person in the globe can perform everything to enlighten their sense of accomplishment everytime and I get that, but you must at least have certain goals to keep you occupied each and every year.

Certain people's obsessions with reaching milestones can also be factored in.

Then there's the facts lot of people want to aim for a linear life too.

Last edited by Luciano700; 09-16-2019 at 01:02 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology