Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2016, 09:02 AM

1,209 posts, read 1,813,679 times

Advertisements

I have a car capable of a quarter mile time in the 11 second range, which I thought was fast, especially going from a 4 cylinder banger to a 8 cylinder muscle car. Now that I have a taste of what speed is and what else is our there, I feel like it's not enough and I need a $100,000 car with a few mods to be the fastest in the city.

That's just an example. No matter how much I progress I feel it is never enough. I get enough to impress one set of people but then I find out there is another group I don't measure up to.

My parents, who moved to the United States many decades ago for a better life and now run multiple companies making millions yet are frugal spenders, would be ashamed of this debt trap I set for myself if they knew...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2016, 09:50 AM

3,004 posts, read 6,271,887 times
Crazy...

I'm kidding.

I'm assuming you're young? And obviously into cars?

Cars are a dangerous hobby. I've only lightly modded my former cars with I/H/E and for me that was enough.

I had a Civic SI back in the day and that was fast until I saw a Type R and although both of these cars are far from 11 second cars, I thought, "Man if I only had the Type R, then I'll be that much "Cooler, faster, etc..."

I didn't get a Type R but eventually got an S2000 and LOVED that car and although it wasn't the fastest car, it was the perfect one for me...until I had to sell it. I wanted to modify it but it was just WAY too much money for the things I wanted.

Anyway, less about my nostalgia and more about you. I think it just has to do with self-control and bad financial decisions. Maybe find another hobby in the meantime that doesn't require spending tons of money, especially if your love of cars is detracting from other things in your life, or if it is ruining you financially. If it isn't, then feel free to do it.

Just know that there will always be a faster car out there and that you can only go so fast on public roads. So just be safe out there.

Old 05-17-2016, 10:32 AM

6,926 posts, read 6,932,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty_Pelican View Post
I have a car capable of a quarter mile time in the 11 second range, which I thought was fast, especially going from a 4 cylinder banger to a 8 cylinder muscle car. Now that I have a taste of what speed is and what else is our there, I feel like it's not enough and I need a $100,000 car with a few mods to be the fastest in the city.

That's just an example. No matter how much I progress I feel it is never enough. I get enough to impress one set of people but then I find out there is another group I don't measure up to.

My parents, who moved to the United States many decades ago for a better life and now run multiple companies making millions yet are frugal spenders, would be ashamed of this debt trap I set for myself if they knew...
Well, the thrill of speeding down the road at warp speed in some expensive car aside, it sounds to me as though you may have a little bit of a self esteem/insecurity problem. Your parents sound like a tough act to follow. Now you're playing a game you'll never win, since there will always be someone else out there who makes more money than you do and will be able to buy even more expensive toys than you can. All in all, it sounds like a fairly shallow existance. You need to find something besides owning the most expensive luxury item on the block to give your life some meaning. There's a saying, "He who dies with the most expensive toys wins." Really? Are you going to have all those things buried with you to give you solace? A life well lived is about so much more than acquiring stuff. You can find better ways to prove you are worthy of being your parent's son. I'm sure of it.

Old 05-17-2016, 01:18 PM

14,376 posts, read 18,364,716 times
A recipe for an unhappy life.

Old 05-17-2016, 10:41 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,140,668 times
Quote:

You feel empty and so you try to fill up yourself with impressive possessions. You think you want to impress other people (who probably don't care whether you have a really fast car or not) but you are really trying to compensate for your own lack of feeling worthy.

Instead of buying expensive toys, why not try doing something positive? Is there someone you know who could use a helping hand? Is there a courtesy only you can provide to someone? Instead of taking, give. You'll like yourself a lot better.

Old 05-18-2016, 06:37 AM

2,222 posts, read 2,343,997 times
What this means is that you have too many dollars and not enough sense.
One day you will awake and realize how you've squandered too much money on depreciating assets.

Old 05-18-2016, 02:38 PM

20,758 posts, read 19,955,169 times
Isn't it quite normal to be ambitious and always want to have more?

I started with a 45hp car. Wasn't enough. Worked my way up to 300 hp, 8cylinder and can't wait to upgrade that to maybe 600 hp..

Always wanted a house. Finally got it. Happy for a while .. .but now I want a nicer one ...

If we would always just be happy with what we have, we would have never have come as far as we have ...no?

Old 05-18-2016, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
Isn't it quite normal to be ambitious and always want to have more?

I started with a 45hp car. Wasn't enough. Worked my way up to 300 hp, 8cylinder and can't wait to upgrade that to maybe 600 hp..

Always wanted a house. Finally got it. Happy for a while .. .but now I want a nicer one ...

If we would always just be happy with what we have, we would have never have come as far as we have ...no?
Well yes and no. At a certain point we have to be happy with what we have. And on another we will never be happy if we think that more of something will make us happier. Especially if its just a money sink and leads no where but in debt.

Now that's in terms of material goods. Striving to be better as a person, at a talent, at our jobs, as a husband, or father is almost always a good thing. And usually longer lasting happiness and sometimes money follows from being happy at the "root."

Old 05-18-2016, 03:29 PM

20,758 posts, read 19,955,169 times
yes, there is a healthy and an unhealthy aspect of this.

Are we sure OP is in the unhealthy cycle?

Old 05-19-2016, 10:01 AM

Quote:

I would assume so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology