Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2016, 09:40 PM

5,589 posts, read 8,405,261 times

Advertisements

I just read this article about Sally Field and she said she thinks her inability to have lasting relationships is due to her lack of a good relationship with her father. And that clicked with me. As an only child, I thought my Dad was great -- he could build anything, fix anything, started his own auto repair shop, was the life of the party, everybody liked him, he would stop and help anyone who's car was broken down on the side of the road, etc. And then later I started seeing his flaws, and they were big ones. He eventually got into a lot of trouble with the law due to his poor decisions, we lost everything and he left Mom for another woman. So needless to say, my high opinion of him went down to thinking he was an idiot. And I think that has affected every relationship since then. I start off with rose-colored glasses, thinking the guy is the greatest thing since sliced bread and I love everything about him -- and then, the flaws start appearing. And eventually, I can't stand him. Unless the guy is not interested in me, and then I am madly in love with him. Anyway, I just think I have too much baggage with my father to ever be in a lasting relationship, and at this point in my 60's, I'm at peace with that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2016, 06:35 AM

3,925 posts, read 4,130,367 times
Doesn't look like OP is coming back.

Old 05-24-2016, 11:02 AM

1,153 posts, read 1,050,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnseca View Post
Just move on, and quickly. This is not the guy for you. You know when you are in love, and if you're not now, then you never will be with this guy.
Actually that's the complete opposite of the mentality you want to have early on.

Lust is immediate. Love grows over time.

If you want to be single, alone, and childless in middle age then go ahead and listen to the feminist agenda. But if you want to have a loving and stable provider for the long haul then it shouldn't be too difficult to know what to look for. OP seems to have already found such a guy, which is good considering that he can be accepting of her divorce.

What does it matter if he never went to college? Maybe he's successful in business because he never went to college, not in spite of it as the current narrative would have us believe.

Old 05-24-2016, 12:06 PM

6,219 posts, read 5,943,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slyfox2 View Post
I suggest a full analysis of your natal astrological chart. Theres nothing for you in psychology unless you want to subject yourself to long term psychological counseling.
Are you kidding me?? Almost all counseling these days is short term in nature - seldom longer than a few months. Learn something about how the world works today outside your "charts".

Old 05-24-2016, 11:38 PM

4,523 posts, read 3,406,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InchingWest View Post
Actually that's the complete opposite of the mentality you want to have early on.

Lust is immediate. Love grows over time.

If you want to be single, alone, and childless in middle age then go ahead and listen to the feminist agenda. But if you want to have a loving and stable provider for the long haul then it shouldn't be too difficult to know what to look for. OP seems to have already found such a guy, which is good considering that he can be accepting of her divorce.

What does it matter if he never went to college? Maybe he's successful in business because he never went to college, not in spite of it as the current narrative would have us believe.
Exactly.

Not everyone is cut out for college.

Old 05-26-2016, 12:03 AM

229 posts, read 463,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A1eutian View Post
After more than a dozen relationships of 1 - 4 years in duration, I think the biggest mistakes that have been made were due to wanting to be in a relationship so much that I compromised my selection criteria.

If I had to do it all over again, I would be more open to not being with anyone for extended periods of time. That's probably just my middle-aged diminished libido talking. There was 1 thing on my mind for a large portion of my teens - to mid forties.

So instead of being alone, I found myself in relationships that were doomed from the start.

You don't have to get too personal but did you suffer from abuse or trauma? Maybe you're purposely choosing mates that you know you will break up with eventually, because being close to people is frightening to you.
I started seeing a new therapist. She jumped right into exploring my childhood. Yes, i guess you can say I experienced psychological abuse from my mother and I do have a fear of attachment. I don't know know how to get over it though. I thought I was very selective when I chose my ex- he definitely had a lot of status, was presentable, accomplished, with an education, a good job, approved by everybody. He was nice and a responsible person, and I thought he was cute. Then we ended up where we did. I no longer know how to choose a partner correctly. This time I purposefully prioritized core features, related to goodness, and so forth, but I just can't feel in love with him. I don't really know what i need and that is best for me.

Old 05-26-2016, 12:11 AM

229 posts, read 463,178 times
Also, I wish there was a formula to relationship success. I know I don't have to make any decisions now, but I was wondering how risky is it to commit to someone you don't feel head over heels about, but who, when looked at rationally, has all the qualities that are desirable in a long term partner and husband. Or is doing so a selfish and unfair thing? How do you find Mr Right?

Old 05-26-2016, 05:29 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marketa View Post
Also, I wish there was a formula to relationship success. I know I don't have to make any decisions now, but I was wondering how risky is it to commit to someone you don't feel head over heels about, but who, when looked at rationally, has all the qualities that are desirable in a long term partner and husband. Or is doing so a selfish and unfair thing? How do you find Mr Right?
Might as well ask, "What is the meaning of life?"

It's one of those universal, unanswerable questions. People have different approaches, but there is no formula.

Old 05-26-2016, 03:48 PM

1,153 posts, read 1,050,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marketa View Post
Mr. & Mrs. "Right" do not exist. Your best bet is to realize that life isn't a damn fairy tale romance like Disney and the rest of the dual-citizen-owned media would have you believe.

Find someone who is 80-90% your ideal partner and then realize that that's pretty darn good because quite honestly that's the best any of us get. NO ONE gets that 100% perfect match. We are all our own individual entities who are not always going to see eye-to-eye on every issue, and you're not going to find any individual who's manerisms and personality are 100% perfect to your liking.

Society these days wants people to have super high expectations, and then we wonder why women end up in their 30s unmatched and childless. Lower your expectations just a tiny bit. I'm not saying to date thugs and losers or drug addicts and whatnot (girls who date those guys have issues themselves), but find a guy who's decent.

Oh, and by the Mr. Almostright won't come pre-packaged with a face like Leonardo DiCaprio, 6'3" with bulging muscles, a 200k/year job, charming personality, no baggage, the perfect level of education, and none of the habits that annoy you.

But you CAN find someone who's pretty darn great and has their stuff together. Ladies take note.

Old 05-26-2016, 06:23 PM

6,219 posts, read 5,943,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InchingWest View Post
Mr. & Mrs. "Right" do not exist. Your best bet is to realize that life isn't a damn fairy tale romance like Disney and the rest of the dual-citizen-owned media would have you believe.

Find someone who is 80-90% your ideal partner and then realize that that's pretty darn good because quite honestly that's the best any of us get. NO ONE gets that 100% perfect match.
Big thumbs up. The myth of the "soul mate" has totally screwed up relationships in this culture. When we commit to someone in a relationship, it's not because we love them and have found the Right One, it's because we're promising to love them -- even when they're unloveable.

The seeker for Mr./Ms. "Right" feels that initial flush of attraction then when the chemical rush wears off, he/she decides that mustn't have been the Promised One and moves on to the next relationship. The lyrics of Jackson Browne's "Farther On" sums it up:

... Adrift on an ocean of loneliness
My dreams like nets were thrown
To catch the love that I'd heard of
In books and films and songs
Now there's a world of illusion and fantasy
In the place where the real world belongs ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology