Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-29-2018, 03:04 AM

32,923 posts, read 36,323,847 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrexy View Post
I don't know about anyone else, but yes, my husband has been known to leave doors to our house open Once, he flew to NJ, where I was, to drive back home with me. When we arrived, I noticed that he had left our back sliding door open a couple of inches!
That's the story of my life. My son is very handy and repairs things in my house. When he finishes a job, he leaves his tools all over the place.

He forgets to turn off lights, lock doors, and many other things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2018, 08:53 AM

11,046 posts, read 6,634,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I am FANTASTIC about shutting off lights...I am the light nazi here.
Oh, not another one! LOL. DH is terribly forgetful about everything, but he will trail behind me shutting off lights, even jumping off his comfy couch (he hates to get up otherwise) to adjust the lights. I even say, "I am coming right back", but he is compulsive about it. What the heck...

He often sits in total darkness, just the light of his laptop. SIGH. Blinds closed against the ocean view!
I need to start another thread about that.

Old 12-29-2018, 11:15 AM

9,908 posts, read 9,581,430 times
Could be simple as the person didn't use enough force to shut the drawer all the way.

The only way someone will change is when they bang into it from being half-opened and then they will learn to shut it next time.

I sometimes leave my closet door open because im just too lazy to close it all the time and i dont really care whether it is closed or opened.

Some people want to leave stuff open so they dont have to constantly open and shut the drawer. its easier just to grab what you want and go. Like leaving the garbage can lid open. i can just throw stuff in there and not have to open/shut it all the time.

Old 12-29-2018, 11:50 AM

6,811 posts, read 6,942,265 times
My ex used to run around behind me slamming cabinet doors and drawers shut that I had left open. I thought it was crazy that an open cabinet door would bother someone. I honestly can't see what the big deal is.

Old 12-29-2018, 02:44 PM

4,242 posts, read 946,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reds37win View Post
I'd say the person who is concerned with closed drawers is the OCD. The person leaving the drawers partly open is definitely non-OCD. No mystery there.
With regard to the comments about being bothered by drawers and cupboards being left partially open and describing this as "OCD:" If you were familiar with the crippling nature of the mental health condition Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, and especially if you know and care about someone with this disorder, you would never be using the phrase so cavalierly. Finding partially opened drawers irritating is simply a preference or personality trait that may be somewhere on a spectrum but in no way approaches the severity of OCD.

From the American Psychiatric Association:

Obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD) is an anxiety disorder in which time people have recurring, unwanted thoughts, ideas or sensations (obsessions) that make them feel driven to do something repetitively (compulsions). The repetitive behaviors, such as hand washing, checking on things or cleaning, can significantly interfere with a person’s daily activities and social interactions.

Many people have focused thoughts or repeated behaviors. But these do not disrupt daily life and may add structure or make tasks easier. For people with OCD, thoughts are persistent and unwanted routines and behaviors are rigid and not doing them causes great distress. Many people with OCD know or suspect their obsessions are not true; others may think they could be true (known as poor insight). Even if they know their obsessions are not true, people with OCD have a hard time keeping their focus off the obsessions or stopping the compulsive actions.

A diagnosis of OCD requires the presence of obsessions and/or compulsions that are time-consuming (more than one hour a day), cause major distress, and impair work, social or other important functions.

Old 01-23-2019, 02:24 PM

1 posts, read 4,706 times
My daughter always leaves doors and drawers open. Not occasionally, always. She's 10 so I put it off to being easily distracted, however I did look up to see if there is a phobia behind this and the only thing I found about not closing doors is the fear of being left alone. Which she had been as a child before we adopted her. Since then she has never. And mostly it's a safety issue. Have you ever hit your head or shoulder on an open cabinet door or dresser drawer? I have and so has my daughter, on her own dresser drawer that she left open. Also not closing doors let's the younger grandkids get into the cabinets. Not that they can't open the door themselves but if they see it open it's easier to get into stuff.

Old 01-23-2019, 03:46 PM

13,262 posts, read 8,017,949 times
Ok...I'm giggling shamefully. I'm kinda one of those people. I can give excuses, but y'all would tear them down, so I'll spare all ourselves. lol

Old 01-27-2019, 08:39 PM

1,456 posts, read 1,509,652 times
Well, I try and close them but if a sock is a bit in the way as long as it closes "enough" I leave it. My husband complains
I leave drawers open. I sometimes try and close them for his sake but don't always cause I forget or am in a hurry and it does not seem to matter to me.

Old 03-10-2019, 03:56 PM

177 posts, read 130,278 times
My husband is the poster child for this! From the minute he wakes up whatever room he goes in the light goes on and stays on. Kitchen cabinets stay open, pantry door, closet doors, bathroom cabinets, shower curtain is open on both ends (can't figure that one out, dont most people enter and exit the shower at the same end?). With ziplock bags instead of closing them by running your fingers down the closing strip, he just makes little tapes in a few places so that it is not sealed. Bread bag is full of air so that I have go back and let the air out and re-twist tie it so it wont go stale. Any container in the fridge is never fully sealed or closed...EVER. Same with medicine bottles. Lids are put back on crooked every time. He only mows the front yard and waits a couple weeks before doing the back, which is doing it half-way. Dont understand this as our backyard is very small. He has even taken off driving after getting in the car without closing the door! He cannot close the mailbox after getting mail out just lets it hang open. Forgets to lock the car, the house, close and lock the doors. Lately he has been leaving the refrigerator door open A LOT to the point where it is all frozen up having been left open for who knows how long. Same with freezer to the point of having to throw away food as it has all thawed and all ice has melted. This all totally drives me insane!

My reasoning for his problem is this: As a kid his mom was a single parent to 4 kids. She worked nights and slept during the day when they were in school. They had to get themselves ready for school and make their meals. I dont think she taught him how to turn on and off lights, open and close doors, etc. He simply was never taught. But as I have talked with him about this and how it is frustrating to me, he continues to do it based on pure laziness and carelessness. This thing with the refrigerator and freezer though is something I just dont know how to deal with. How hard is it to make sure the doors are closed after getting something out to prevent spoilage? I think a child would even be smart enough to know to close the doors!

Thanks for letting me vent. Its nice to know others out there are dealing with the same situation. We are NOT OCD, we just were taught how to do things and have continued this process throughout our lives. Why do manufacturers put doors on cabinets and in closets in houses if they are meant to be left open?

Old 03-10-2019, 04:25 PM

8,583 posts, read 16,006,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JF2U View Post
My reasoning for his problem is this: As a kid his mom was a single parent to 4 kids. She worked nights and slept during the day when they were in school. They had to get themselves ready for school and make their meals. I dont think she taught him how to turn on and off lights, open and close doors, etc. He simply was never taught.
It's never that simple. My kids were raised the same. One is neat & tidy, everything back in its place.
The other is the absent minded professor type. Brilliant but not bothered with details of closing things,
putting things away or turning off lights...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology