Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2016, 06:05 PM

4,366 posts, read 4,581,435 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
From one of your other threads on teaching:
I'm sorry. I'm also really bad at keeping track of things. Sometimes I start new threads because I don't remember all of the other stuff I have up. I really need to address this attention issue and constantly forgetting things first of all, I guess. I was tested for ADHD, but sometimes they miss it in women. Do you think it's possible I have ADD in addition to the ASD? Sometimes I find it really hard to keep up with important things. My attention fades when I'm not really interested in the activity. I also find it really difficult to do everyday tasks because of forgetfulness and constant daydreaming. For instance, I frequently forget to brush my teeth and don't always comb my hair. When I was a child, it was easy enough for me to sometimes forget essential daily hygiene tasks. I was elected "president of the class" in elementary school, but I couldn't keep up with the tasks the teacher wanted me to do, so she gave my position to someone else. I also couldn't keep up with the teacher when she taught us some of our handwriting skills, and it never occurred to me that writing my letters over and over again incorrectly wouldn't yield better handwriting. My parents didn't even seem to know this; if they did, they never took the time to explain it to me. As a child, I wasn't aware that pen strokes have to start in a certain place. I didn't learn that until college when one of my Chinese clients was trying to explain how to write some words in Chinese! What ever my problem is, I think I've been at a major disadvantage.

Last edited by krmb; 10-10-2016 at 06:21 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2016, 06:42 PM

6,219 posts, read 5,944,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmb501 View Post
Do you think it's possible I have ADD in addition to the ASD?
Anything's possible -- but the majority of people here aren't qualified to diagnose anything, and those who are qualified wouldn't hazard a guess from a post in an internet forum (it would be a violation of professional ethics to do so). Try "how to tell if you have adult adhd" in your favorite search engine -- there are a number of sites out there that might be helpful as a starting point. But ultimately, if you want to know for sure, you'll need to be evaluated by a licensed mental health professional rather than asking for opinions here.

Old 10-11-2016, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasily View Post
Anything's possible -- but the majority of people here aren't qualified to diagnose anything, and those who are qualified wouldn't hazard a guess from a post in an internet forum (it would be a violation of professional ethics to do so). Try "how to tell if you have adult adhd" in your favorite search engine -- there are a number of sites out there that might be helpful as a starting point. But ultimately, if you want to know for sure, you'll need to be evaluated by a licensed mental health professional rather than asking for opinions here.
I know, but I was evaluated already. The only thing they came up with was, "poor working memory and ASD." I would think that an uncommon combination, but I'm not a doctor.

Old 10-11-2016, 08:18 AM

Quote:
I know, but I was evaluated already. The only thing they came up with was, "poor working memory and ASD." I would think that an uncommon combination, but I'm not a doctor.
Asperger's is now called Social Communication Disorder in DSM-5 (though it's still called Asperger's, too, so there's no reason to change the label if you think of yourself as Asperger's -- and many clinicians continue to use the older name). From p. 48: "Attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), behavioral problems, and specific learning disorders are also more common among affected individuals." So yes, ADHD does occur in individuals with Social Communication Disorder. It sounds like the folks who diagnosed you didn't feel your symptoms called for an additional diagnosis of ADHD (or that there wasn't any value added from a treatment perspective in doing so).

Old 10-11-2016, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Asperger's is now called Social Communication Disorder in DSM-5 (though it's still called Asperger's, too, so there's no reason to change the label if you think of yourself as Asperger's -- and many clinicians continue to use the older name). From p. 48: "Attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), behavioral problems, and specific learning disorders are also more common among affected individuals." So yes, ADHD does occur in individuals with Social Communication Disorder. It sounds like the folks who diagnosed you didn't feel your symptoms called for an additional diagnosis of ADHD (or that there wasn't any value added from a treatment perspective in doing so).
The doctor who evaluated me called it "Autism Spectrum Disorder" or ASD. It's basically high-functioning autism, at least that was the impression I was given.

Old 10-11-2016, 05:22 PM

Quote:
The doctor who evaluated me called it "Autism Spectrum Disorder" or ASD. It's basically high-functioning autism, at least that was the impression I was given.
Yeah, they're very similar. The factors that distinguish ASD from social communication disorder are things like repetitive behaviors, inflexibility with regard to routines, fixation on certain interests, and hyper sensitivity to sensory inputs. These aren't typical of folks with social communication disorder is why they split it out from ASD.

Old 10-14-2016, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Yeah, they're very similar. The factors that distinguish ASD from social communication disorder are things like repetitive behaviors, inflexibility with regard to routines, fixation on certain interests, and hyper sensitivity to sensory inputs. These aren't typical of folks with social communication disorder is why they split it out from ASD.
Well, I have one of those. My main issue is lack of attention due to constant daydreaming about certain fixations, almost like they are addictive substances or something. I might have PTSD. Sometimes I just can't get certain people and subjects out of my head. I stay in rigid routines when it comes to social interaction, because I like to know what I'm doing. From what I've gathered by reading, other people with ASD have profound issues with social anxiety due to failed attempts to communicate spontaneously, so we like rigidity and not surprises. I like to hear certain sounds and not others. Some every day sounds, smells, and places make me extremely uncomfortable.

Old 10-15-2016, 09:05 AM

11,022 posts, read 5,989,338 times
Quote:
Sounds a bit like me - I have ASD. My suggestion would be to level the playing field by ensuring proper nutrition. Does no harm and does improve brain function. Been there done that.

Old 10-15-2016, 02:52 PM

Sounds like both of you guys have a good handle on your situation and what to do about it. All the best!

Old 10-16-2016, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingbongbing View Post
Asperger's no longer exists. It was taken out of the DSM in 2013.
The condition STILL exists; it doesn't matter WHAT it's called now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology