Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2017, 11:02 AM

2,827 posts, read 4,343,102 times

Advertisements

This is a pretty simple question that some psychologists have written about. Can money, lots of it, bring about happiness that perhaps wasn't there in one's earlier life?

Can it (money) be a substitute for something that was missing at some point in one's life? Can it make life so good as to put earlier not-so-good experiences out of sight and out of mind? What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2017, 12:44 PM

1,658 posts, read 1,257,364 times
No, I think it's only a temporary fix, and any past or present issues that you have will still be there until you decide to deal with them.

Old 02-25-2017, 12:54 PM

11,558 posts, read 12,057,672 times
If a person is having financial troubles, through no fault of their own, coming into unexpected funds would certainly relieve the anxiety/worries of keeping a roof over their head and feeding their family. Plus not having the bill collectors banging on their door.

Are those who are born with the 'silver spoon' live a happier life? Am not in that group, so couldn't say.

Those who are poverty-stricken don't usually jump out of bed each morning singing "Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah".

Old 02-25-2017, 01:00 PM

30,896 posts, read 36,970,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nezlie View Post
This is a pretty simple question that some psychologists have written about. Can money, lots of it, bring about happiness that perhaps wasn't there in one's earlier life?

Can it (money) be a substitute for something that was missing at some point in one's life? Can it make life so good as to put earlier not-so-good experiences out of sight and out of mind? What do you think?
The studies on this are pretty clear. Once basic housing, food, clothing, and medical care are secured, with some buffer for modest savings, more money adds less and less to happiness.

The studies show happiness flattens out once you get above 50K to 75K household income, depending on the study.

Old 02-25-2017, 01:56 PM

2,827 posts, read 4,343,102 times
I actually began to wonder about all this earlier after reading this very interesting article.

Affluenza: The Psychology of Wealth

Is it true that the pursuit and acquisition of wealth leads to unhappiness.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog...chology-wealth

It touches on a lot of things..... like overshopping, addiction of wealth, security issues, isolation from the rest of society, love issues, problems affecting rich children, and others..... very interesting from a psychological standpoint. How much of it is true?

Old 02-25-2017, 02:01 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,131,516 times
Money cannot buy happiness... But it can rent it!!!

But seriously, I think we would all be happier without financial problems, and who doesn't have any financial problems at all?

Actually, IMO, the best happiness (even love) money can buy, is a dog!

Just $120 in my city. Spayed/neutered, vaccinated, 1 year license, and ready to lick your face!

Old 02-25-2017, 02:43 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,728,899 times
Default .......

Quote:
Originally Posted by nezlie View Post

Money can be a vehicle that gets you better access to things that may make you happy.... but it has its limits.

As a teen I did not have money to go to concert ..... as an adult I can afford to sit in the front row.... does that make me happy ..... hell yes lol. But to get that money I have to work long hours doing a really stressful job that has lots of personal liability associated with it. Money is not everything and cant alone make you happy forever...... but it does put a cherry on top on things .

Old 02-25-2017, 02:45 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,966,647 times
Money of course cannot buy happiness but neither can poverty.

Given the choice, I'd much rather cry in a Ferrari.

Old 02-25-2017, 03:12 PM

1,644 posts, read 1,665,020 times
Until you are in a situation where no amount of money can save your love ones life, can you truly understand that money doesn't buy happiness.

Old 02-25-2017, 04:19 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,728,899 times
Default ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
Money of course cannot buy happiness but neither can poverty.

Given the choice, I'd much rather cry in a Ferrari.
Mec too .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology