Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2016, 07:30 AM

3,974 posts, read 4,260,829 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jelenap View Post
Does immigration count? I felt like I never belonged anywhere until we moved to the US. I should've been born here. Did the proverbial "came here with 100$" thing, could not be happier 15 years later. It is very difficult but worth it.
This is nice to hear. Glad you are enjoying life her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2016, 07:47 AM

15,501 posts, read 17,081,696 times
I have moved very many times, for many different reasons. But am convinced there is no such thing as "Running Away and Starting fresh."

Every bit of our past is essential to what we are today.

Old 11-27-2016, 08:40 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,016,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
I have moved very many times, for many different reasons. But am convinced there is no such thing as "Running Away and Starting fresh."

Every bit of our past is essential to what we are today.
Hopefully one learns from past experiences so as not to repeat the bad ones. That's what starting fresh can mean.

Old 11-27-2016, 09:13 AM

1,440 posts, read 4,417,868 times
In the process of doing just that, sort of. Marriage went south, with it goes most of her family as people do tend to take sides in these things . Housing situation is changing as the place I'm in is being sold. Job, while decent for the area, has no future other than to work till the place closes or I get too old to work the job. Any family I have here are pretty much wrapped up in their own worlds, no harm there.

So, I can re-up with a lease on a new place and stay at least another miserable year or I can do what I've been wanting to, head back to a place I lived some years ago. My sons are around that area as are some friends I've had for over three decades. Hard to say in a few words, just where I feel I need to be at this point in life.

Running away? No, nothing here to run from, just another path in life. Like any of us have. Fresh start? More of a refresh of an old start.

Old 11-27-2016, 09:16 AM

15,501 posts, read 17,081,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Hopefully one learns from past experiences so as not to repeat the bad ones. That's what starting fresh can mean.
Restating with what one has learned from past mistakes, is an informed desire to make changes in one's life, as one has built a foundation to build upon and as painful as it is, one uses what is learned to take charge of their future.

You can not abandon ship and book passage on another ship, because you are the Ship. You re-haul the engines and set a new course if needed, but it will always be the same ship, the destination may been changed.

The name of what we call it need not be important, what is important is the person sets a goal and takes steps to achieve it. We all are responsible for our Free-will choices. A good goal is to first learn to expand one's free will.

Old 11-27-2016, 09:54 AM

10,225 posts, read 7,587,698 times
I didn't "run away," but I moved years ago and started a new life. I had done it a couple of times before, but it didn't work. The last time was the charm. I was glad I had made the change.

It's very difficult to make a fresh start. Some people can't make it. So it depends. If you're independent, can make a good living, don't have problems in meeting new people or working new places, it'll probably be fine.

My family, who have lived in their area for centuries, didn't understand, resented it, and resent it to this day. They think I dumped the family and turned my back on everyone. They even referred to me as crazy for moving away. See why I moved?

If you think there's a better life out there for you, there probably is. Go find it. It'll take some time, so don't expect miracles. Gradually meet new people, without being desperate, and build a few friendships over time. The whole world is not like the place you're leaving.

I'm now retired and moving again. This is harder than before. But I'm hopeful it'll be fine, like it was before. A new life. New interests and hobbies. New friends (but keeping a few of the old ones, and there are just a few). A fresh start. Aren't we lucky to live in a country where we can move about, if we don't want to stay where we currently are? Wadda country.

If you're young, go chase your dream! You may find it's not all you thought it would be, or you might find you like the person you become and you like your new life. You don't grow if you stay in the same rut. But stay in touch with old friends, so as to keep continuity and just for the sake of keeping friends (and family, of course).

Old 11-27-2016, 10:39 AM

1,040 posts, read 1,292,532 times
Yes, I escaped an abusive situation as a teenager, with almost no $. Had to go stay with a person I hardly knew, because I had no supportive people to help.

I tried to move across the country but could not save up enough $ for gas to get there. I ended up scraping together enough to get my own tiny apt. across town. I tried not visiting the old neighborhood at all, while I tried shifting my mindset away from the abuse and towards the future. The change of scenery was key for me.

Many years of struggling followed. The passage of a federal law requiring coverage for pre-existing (congenital) conditions led me out of poverty.

The people who are saying you can't run away from yourself are right. I did the painful healing process I needed to do. Still, I lived in a place that was climatically and economically not beneficial to me. I also had the same old sights to trigger bad memories. It has been awesome to physically be away from all that.

Old 11-27-2016, 01:55 PM

11,864 posts, read 17,004,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
Not true! A complete change of the people in your life can do a lot.
What do you mean by "can do a lot"?

Old 11-27-2016, 02:50 PM

3,536 posts, read 12,331,320 times
Yep, I joined the military and they paid for my move and fresh start!!

Old 11-27-2016, 03:07 PM

14,375 posts, read 18,377,781 times
As I neared 35, in the space of 10 months, I visited and then decided to move to Denver, which I accomplished right before I turned 35. It was a major change for me - except for college, I lived my entire life surrounded by family and pretty much inside of a 5-mile radius. But I didn't give up my old life - I kept the job I had (it went with me) and I kept almost all of my friendships.

It was just time for a change. I needed to move away from my family - love them very much, but I didn't want to get bogged down in my hometown. I feel freer to be the person I see myself as in my new city.

I suppose it was a new life in that I was able to build a new life piece by piece. I kept the job and the friends, but then I made new friends, started new activities/hobbies, got a house, allocated my time differently, etc. I haven't regretted it for a second, but I'm glad I didn't burn my old life down before I left.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology