Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2017, 11:32 AM

370 posts, read 505,416 times

Advertisements

I have a coworker who I asked if she could make a certificate for a 100 year old man I will presenting it to at the nursing home he lives in (she is marketing director and the President told me to give that assignment to her).
She stated she would not make one and too many people turn 100 these days and that we would not do special things like this just because of someone's age. Her demeanor was mean and nasty. This isn't the first time this woman has thrown a tantrum anytime an extra little work comes her way. This woman has Buddha statues, speaks of peace and love but the truth is further from the truth. In fact this 50 year old woman spews nothing but hate and even called our boss cheap and probably has marriage problems (and I hardly talk to her and this is the conversation she has in just a minute of talking to her). The way she speaks to me, I am lower rank in the office, is appalling and lately have to report back to our boss due to her refusing to do work.

It has me wondering people who try to come off one way but really are not even close to what they are trying to represent. (The Buddha statues or speak of "no drama here" and create nothing but drama) How do you deal with someone who behaves in such a way in a "controlled environment aka work or even public)
I guess seeing her for what she is gives me some kind of relief as I no longer have to hear her go on and on about recycling or mediating...because I know she is awful.
I'm just curious to the readers how you deal with frauds in your world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2017, 05:31 PM

2,974 posts, read 1,987,179 times
...she's a coworker, not a supervisor? then just ignore her!!...and don't let the woman live inside your head rent free...

Old 09-02-2017, 05:38 PM

102,233 posts, read 108,060,523 times
OP, are you going to go back to the president, and report that she refused the task? It sounds like your co-worker needs a lesson in karma. Choosing to be uncooperative has repercussions. She needs to deal with it.

Old 09-02-2017, 07:14 PM

370 posts, read 505,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
OP, are you going to go back to the president, and report that she refused the task? It sounds like your co-worker needs a lesson in karma. Choosing to be uncooperative has repercussions. She needs to deal with it.
Thank you. I did go back to state what she told me to the President. I remember as she was putting down this 100 year old man I looked around and saw Buddha statue and little peace poems and heard nothing but meanness/harshness coming out of her mouth. It reminds me how people wear those masks in public. I was off for two days so GOD knows what lies she said when I get back.

Old 09-02-2017, 10:38 PM

102,233 posts, read 108,060,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenniferashley View Post
Thank you. I did go back to state what she told me to the President. I remember as she was putting down this 100 year old man I looked around and saw Buddha statue and little peace poems and heard nothing but meanness/harshness coming out of her mouth. It reminds me how people wear those masks in public. I was off for two days so GOD knows what lies she said when I get back.
I don't think it's a deliberate mask. There's a disconnect between what she's learning, wherever it is she studies Buddhism, and her practice IRL. She has a big project ahead of her, reining in that ego, and developing compassion. Buddhism is a lot more than meditation.

This reminds me of a cousin of mine, who as a kid, joined the church choir, and went through all the motions of being a good church-goer. But in her real life, she left all that churchiness behind, compartmentalized for Sundays, and was not a nice person. Let's just leave it at that, lol.

Old 09-02-2017, 10:46 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,198,781 times
Well, there are plenty of religious folk who are good at practicing ritual but lousy at exemplifying brotherly love and peace. Your co worker sounds like one of those.

I don't think she necessarily means what she said about centenarians. I think she just didn't want to do the extra task. So, I guess she is also lazy, as well as mean spirited.

How do I deal with people who are unpleasant? I try to minimize interactions with them. In the workplace, I learned to not make enemies of them either, because they can make your work life hellish. You sort of have to learn to manage them. If you have to request something from them, you have to figure out how to stroke their egos when you ask. Unless you are the boss, then of course you have more leverage.

But the world is full of hypocrites. That's why it is so wonderful to meet people who are truly sincere and positive. Associate with those people in preference to the unpleasant ones, and just do the best you can to do your job.

Old 09-03-2017, 05:49 AM

823 posts, read 1,976,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenniferashley View Post
I have a coworker who I asked if she could make a certificate for a 100 year old man I will presenting it to at the nursing home he lives in (she is marketing director and the President told me to give that assignment to her).
She stated she would not make one and too many people turn 100 these days and that we would not do special things like this just because of someone's age. Her demeanor was mean and nasty. This isn't the first time this woman has thrown a tantrum anytime an extra little work comes her way. This woman has Buddha statues, speaks of peace and love but the truth is further from the truth. In fact this 50 year old woman spews nothing but hate and even called our boss cheap and probably has marriage problems (and I hardly talk to her and this is the conversation she has in just a minute of talking to her). The way she speaks to me, I am lower rank in the office, is appalling and lately have to report back to our boss due to her refusing to do work.

It has me wondering people who try to come off one way but really are not even close to what they are trying to represent. (The Buddha statues or speak of "no drama here" and create nothing but drama) How do you deal with someone who behaves in such a way in a "controlled environment aka work or even public)
I guess seeing her for what she is gives me some kind of relief as I no longer have to hear her go on and on about recycling or mediating...because I know she is awful.
I'm just curious to the readers how you deal with frauds in your world.

You mean like that Pastor who wrote on the receipt "I Give God 10 percent Why do you get 18", on the tip box, so the waitress took a photo, posted it, went viral, the guy was indentified and publictly shamed so he complied to the restaurant, (Applebee's) and got the waitress fired?

It's human nature...most people have different contradictory forces inside them. This pastor has no business having any role with God, it just took a photo to show his true colors.

In your coworker's case, I think your coworker is just a 24/7 jerk who happens to have motivational messages in her office...but that doent means she's supposed to be regarded as a spiritual person, she's just a jerk.

I would avoid direct confrontation with her...use the protocol lines and report her whenever she needs to be reported.

Old 09-03-2017, 03:44 PM

4,852 posts, read 3,653,490 times
There is so much fraud out there.

Like, I get Blue Cross Blue Shield health ($365 mo) and a separate dental insurance ($80 mo) at work. I cannot get them to pay much. I consider this fraud.

It is a true battle to get anything paid.

Changing insurance in December. They are worthless!

Old 09-03-2017, 04:12 PM

12,867 posts, read 9,085,451 times
I doubt it has anything to do with religion, Buddha or otherwise. We have someone like that at our office who keeps everyone walking on eggshells around her. They can make work hell, even if they are just a coworker and not a supervisor. They just seem to have a way of putting little land mines out there that you aren't looking for because you're trying to do your job. What I have noticed is usually their boss doesn't like dealing with the drama either, which is why they tell other employees to pass along tasks just as yours did. They get away with it for various reasons. Ours for example, has filed a discrimination grievance on every boss we've had. Once they file that, the bosses hands are pretty much tied because then anything they do gets translated into retaliation. Everyone in the office suffers.

Best strategy I've found is to avoid as much as possible and as someone said above, play to their ego as much as you can stomach.

Old 09-03-2017, 06:40 PM

2,913 posts, read 2,054,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
I doubt it has anything to do with religion, Buddha or otherwise. We have someone like that at our office who keeps everyone walking on eggshells around her. They can make work hell, even if they are just a coworker and not a supervisor. They just seem to have a way of putting little land mines out there that you aren't looking for because you're trying to do your job. What I have noticed is usually their boss doesn't like dealing with the drama either, which is why they tell other employees to pass along tasks just as yours did. They get away with it for various reasons. Ours for example, has filed a discrimination grievance on every boss we've had. Once they file that, the bosses hands are pretty much tied because then anything they do gets translated into retaliation. Everyone in the office suffers.

Best strategy I've found is to avoid as much as possible and as someone said above, play to their ego as much as you can stomach.
If they aren't my supervisor or someone in my chain of command, I would refuse to let someone like this have that much "power" over the environment I work in. Either they would **** me off and I will put them in their place or either I or them will be on the look out for another job. I have worked with people like this before and I can only deal with walking on egg shells and catering to someone else's ego for so long. Luckily it was while I was in the military and they got reassigned before I got myself in trouble for going off on them...but it got close on a couple of occasions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology