Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2017, 01:33 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,737,942 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by trusso11783 View Post
While I am sure that some of these women have valid concerns, most likely depending on how safe their area is, I think most are so full of themselves and think that any guy that looks in their direction wants to attack them. I know that if there is a woman in the line of site between me and my kids, I can sense their discomfort as they think I am looking at them when I am really looking right past them. I can tell b cause they always keep looking my way to see if I am looking. Heck, this happens in church. They need to get over themselves. Not every guy who looks in their general direction has interest in them.
You make a good point. I think at times women start acting paranoid. Not every man is out to get you or is even taking notice of your existence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2017, 02:51 PM

11,165 posts, read 7,992,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trusso11783 View Post
While I am sure that some of these women have valid concerns, most likely depending on how safe their area is, I think most are so full of themselves and think that any guy that looks in their direction wants to attack them. I know that if there is a woman in the line of site between me and my kids, I can sense their discomfort as they think I am looking at them when I am really looking right past them. I can tell b cause they always keep looking my way to see if I am looking. Heck, this happens in church. They need to get over themselves. Not every guy who looks in their general direction has interest in them.

Well I hope that if any of your children are female that you don't go telling them that being concerned about their safety is BS. And that they don't have to worry when they're out alone because " not every guy wants you or to attack you". This thread is not about the condemnation of men.... it's about " women's safety".
Plus... you don't know " most women" and unless you are a mind reader you have no way of knowing what they're thinking.
It's funny how you're not looking at them, but you say say they keep looking at you to see if you're still looking. How does that work... if you're not looking at them or in they're direction? How do you know that they're ( like you claim to be) not looking past you? You need to get over yourself.. Not every woman who looks in your direction is afraid that you are you going to attack them or are in the least bit interested in you.
That being said.. I will agree with you in that men looking at you in "church" or on line at the
" grocery" store... with a bunch of kids in tow, probably wouldn't be much of a threat.

Last edited by Sydney123; 03-14-2017 at 03:50 PM..

Old 03-14-2017, 03:40 PM

588 posts, read 463,824 times
A story......

Once upon a time I dated a man (a very big and street wise man) that lived in a truck that he had outfitted to be lived in. He had water, a burner for cooking food and a place for going to the bathroom (a bucket).

He lived in this thing because he wanted so very badly to become a writer of plays. He did succeed with that. An Off Broadway Play. During this time he lived in some of the worst neighborhoods. Living in your car was not surreal, it was a reality for the area.

Fast forward, I met him, dated him, so I asked him (since I had the experience of the man who would hurt me on the street)

You know what he told me.....carry an axe handle

WHAT

carry an axe handle

a perpetrator never wants a fight and he/she knows that if you carry an axe handle you are going to be someone that will and can put up a fight.

They want an easy mark.

Such wisdom.

I have an axe handle in my car.

And if I bring it into work at night no one mentions it. I don't say anything. They know.

Love Love

BTW: He was native American and live on the Rez for his growing up years...then went to NY to do what he intended to do.

Love Love Jan

Old 03-16-2017, 12:08 AM

7,400 posts, read 6,380,646 times
I am generally more wary, yes. It was ingrained in me at an early age to be very observant of my surroundings. I can absolutely relate to a lot of the points in the article. I've lived in many different places from suburbs, to urban cities, to downtown. I'm still cautious. I think it's wise to be wary.

Just last week I had a creepy man follow me around the grocery store and make lewd comments and repeatedly ask if I was married. I had my two year old with me. That didn't stop him. He even made suggestive noises as I walked away and followed me outside. Then he got in his van and pulled up next to my van and asked if I needed help, but the tone was so gross and creepy. My spidey senses went off and I was so uncomfortable. I headed to another store until I saw him drive away.

This was at 9:00 am.

Old 03-16-2017, 12:17 AM

7,400 posts, read 6,380,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by klmrocks View Post
You make a good point. I think at times women start acting paranoid. Not every man is out to get you or is even taking notice of your existence.
No one is saying that. This is not about every man. This is simply about being cautious of one's surroundings, and different situations and environments warrant different levels of response. I don't go about my daily routines constantly wary or nervous. Hardly. But there are situations where I have been on alert, or certain interactions make me uncomfortable and cause me to evaluate the situation and act accordingly.

Old 03-16-2017, 12:44 PM

15,219 posts, read 10,351,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by klmrocks View Post
This thread worries me. It is not fair that women should have to feel this way. I maintain that no one has the right ot lay their hands on me and if they do I do everything in my power to ensure they won't be able to hurt anyone else again.

I honestly think the punishment for sexual offensives should be physical ( not just chemial) castration. I am certain it would make people think a bit harder people trying to sexual abuse someone.
Unfortunately there are enough sickos out there that if they were castrated (either physical or chemical) they would use an object to do their sexual assault. It's not the sex they want, it's the power and the fear they instill in their victim that they are looking for in most cases.

Old 03-16-2017, 01:07 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,662,985 times
Entirely dependent upon circumstances, situation, and surroundings.

Old 03-16-2017, 01:56 PM

11,165 posts, read 7,992,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
Unfortunately there are enough sickos out there that if they were castrated (either physical or chemical) they would use an object to do their sexual assault. It's not the sex they want, it's the power and the fear they instill in their victim that they are looking for in most cases.

Exactly! My guy was an expert at terrorizing me during the assault. I even told him that there was no need to hurt me anymore... I would comply. He just smiled and punched me. I believe hurting me was his goal... the rape was just to further my humiliation.

Old 03-16-2017, 02:16 PM

7,235 posts, read 7,050,045 times
I've always lived in urban areas where walking is a primary mode of transportation. Frankly, it wouldn't be realistic to never walk alone at night.

I'd be much more freaked out walking alone in a rural area at night.

Old 03-16-2017, 03:07 PM

9,196 posts, read 7,246,232 times
I live in a safe neighborhood, but have read one too many true crime novels not to be cautious; it's nearly always the ones who are trusting and too confident in their safety that end up being the victims. So yeah, between the thought of potential rapists and stray dogs, I am very cautious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology