Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2017, 12:12 PM

6,005 posts, read 4,788,219 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
I don't know everyone's story, and I generally just don't judge based on appearance. I've run up to Walmart to buy mulch or potting soil in the middle of a gardening job, looking like a hot tired mess, with green tipped fingers...and I don't care what anyone thinks about it.

I'm not going to judge some woman with a baby on her hip because her clothes aren't up to June Cleaver's standards. I don't know her story. Maybe she's taking advantage of that small window of time where baby isn't hungry and had a good nap, and she needs to pick up some groceries...it just isn't my business...and she has little to no influence on my life...

I'm not going to judge some middle school little girl trying to come to grips with her budding breasts and her new figure, wearing a baggy sweathshirt and sweatpants.

I'm not the paragon of ANYTHING. Why would I think everyone has to do anything the way I do it??
I like you.

I'm an artist and quite frequently leave the house and then realize that I have paint smeared on my forearms or on my nose.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2017, 12:18 PM

13,262 posts, read 8,027,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I can't imagine trying to get through the day and not making quick assessments of people based on how they look. A quick assessment you can make in 3 seconds usually helps predict how you should interact with them, or not interact with them. You don't have time to assess the character of strangers in public, but a quick glance will tell you whether it would be a good idea to approach that guy over there and ask where the library is. Or find someone else who appears more likely to know, and who appears that your interaction will be civil and quick.

When you are looking to park, a glance at the person standing next to the parking space you are considering - will that go just fine, or is that likely to end in a negative encounter? Should I drive a little further away and avoid that person?

If you don't have the ability to judge people pretty accurately based on how they are dressed and groomed and their overall appearance, it's gonna be a long day out in public.

And yet...it's pretty much how I go through life.

Old 05-15-2017, 03:25 PM

3,782 posts, read 4,249,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by autocratic View Post
Everywhere I go today I see people who look just terrible. It seems like they do everything they can to look unkempt, ugly, ungroomed, and generally nasty. Unlike people who have pride in their appearance, they seem to do everything they can to make themselves look terrible.

Chick on this link below for examples of what I am talking about:

https://www.google.com/search?q=mug+...w=1600&bih=770

WHY?
If those are the people I was seeing every place I went, I would move as soon as possible and until I moved I would start to carry two guns vs. the one I carry now.

But I do believe there is some slight exaggeration by the OP.

Old 05-15-2017, 03:49 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 8 days ago)

35,633 posts, read 17,968,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
And yet...it's pretty much how I go through life.
Unwilling to form a general first impression of someone? I'm not being snarky, I just can't imagine navigating the public without being able to tell - at a glance - whether a person looks harmless or possibly dangerous. (Or at least wouldn't be seamless to interact with). Getting on a city bus, you have to make a quick decision which seat partner you will have, and if you are unwilling to make assumptions based on appearance, you could sure end up with some LOOONNNNG bus rides.

Last edited by ClaraC; 05-15-2017 at 03:58 PM..

Old 05-15-2017, 05:06 PM

131 posts, read 123,475 times
Can't believe this thread is 10 pages long.

Old 05-15-2017, 08:53 PM

11,122 posts, read 5,590,841 times
Quote:
Everywhere I go today I see people who look just terrible. It seems like they do everything they can to look unkempt, ugly, ungroomed, and generally nasty. Unlike people who have pride in their appearance, they seem to do everything they can to make themselves look terrible.

Chick on this link below for examples of what I am talking about:

https://www.google.com/search?q=mug+...w=1600&bih=770

WHY?
In my close neighborhood, there are two couples with whom I'm friendly and they all look really good. Just as I do, they work out athletically, hard every day and eat only the most healthy foods. None of them has ever smoked or drank or used drugs. To my surprise, one of the women has turned out to be almost twice as old as I had thought she was. The two women who visit her, I had thought were her older sisters. But in fact, they are her daughters, from a past relationship.

Looking good is more than just being well-dressed and groomed. These neighbors would look good, regardless of any superficial things like that. The cost of maintaining oneself like this is small and the effort becomes a pleasure, after it becomes part of a way of life.

Old 05-15-2017, 09:30 PM

3,125 posts, read 3,023,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I can't imagine trying to get through the day and not making quick assessments of people based on how they look. A quick assessment you can make in 3 seconds usually helps predict how you should interact with them, or not interact with them. You don't have time to assess the character of strangers in public, but a quick glance will tell you whether it would be a good idea to approach that guy over there and ask where the library is. Or find someone else who appears more likely to know, and who appears that your interaction will be civil and quick.
What does a person who "knows where the library is" look like, exactly?

Old 05-16-2017, 04:15 AM

2 posts, read 2,314 times
Quote:
I got a kick out of the posters who said I should not be concerned and mind my own business. It is my business and yours too! If people do everything they can to look just terrible and it becomes a fad that shows our society is breaking down.

Oh lord...

Old 05-16-2017, 08:29 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 8 days ago)

35,633 posts, read 17,968,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkmax View Post
What does a person who "knows where the library is" look like, exactly?
I should have clarified. I was talking about on a college campus.

Someone who "knows where the library is" is student age, dressed appropriately for a student, carrying a worn backpack. It is not someone who is filthy and talking to themselves. They may know where the library is, but engaging them won't go well probably. It is not a member of an older couple with two teenagers in tow, it's not the guy in the pizza delivery uniform.

Old 05-16-2017, 01:39 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,306,679 times
Quote:
I got a kick out of the posters who said I should not be concerned and mind my own business. It is my business and yours too! If people do everything they can to look just terrible and it becomes a fad that shows our society is breaking down.
You should mind your business because it is of no concern of yours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology