Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2017, 08:15 AM

894 posts, read 587,182 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
When one of our shovels broke, I went over and told him we needed it back. I think he was shocked someone actually asked for something back. Funniest part was I don't think he ever USED our shovel! And he had not bought one for himself after all those months.
I'm glad you just flat-out asked for it back. Did this guy even have the decency to apologize for keeping it so long without returning it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2017, 08:21 AM

29,747 posts, read 34,396,829 times
Quote:
The part I don't get is Don't you check what ingredients you have BEFORE you start cooking? It ain't rocket science.
It's not all that unusual to think that you have flour or chili powder or whatever ingredient (because you usually do) but you forgot that you used the last of it the last time you made something and forgot to put it on the list to buy more.

Old 08-02-2017, 08:59 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,350,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh come on! View Post
I see it on TV, but wonder if it happens in reality. I guess housewives used to do it before my time?

I hate neighbors bugging me for stuff, and I would never bug them for anything.
Was it just an excuse to socialize (or to be nosy and pry into your neighbor's personal life) ?

The supermarket is just down the street...
For anything else, go to Home Depot, freeloader.
I don't think my mom borrowed sugar but when I was growing up all the moms were at home with the kids and the dads had the cars at work. My mom is in her late 70's and has never driven a car. My dad has always driven her around or a close friend if she needed to go somewhere in the day time.

When I was a kid the milk was dropped off in the morning along with other dairy products. In our area it was Chase Brothers Dairy. Used to love that truck because they also kept small containers of chocolate milk and if you had $0.25 you could get a pint of chocolate milk off the truck.

Helms Bakery drove by every couple days as well. They had these 60's era Chevy suburban panel vans. The doors would open in the back and they had trays that would role out filled with baked goods. Most of the women bought bread and an occasional treat from the Helms Bakery guy.

Life was awesome back then.

Old 08-02-2017, 09:07 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,705,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jowel View Post
I think it's one thing to use it sparingly when it's really needed versus constantly doing it just because it's a bit more convenient borrowing from the neighbor. One time I asked to use my neighbor's phone when I locked myself out of the house and didn't have my cell phone with me, and they were kind enough to help me out. I would reciprocate in most cases.
Ding ding ding! We have a winner!

Old 08-02-2017, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruckWife518 View Post
I'm glad you just flat-out asked for it back. Did this guy even have the decency to apologize for keeping it so long without returning it?
He might have; I can't remember. I truly think he expected it was not going to be requested back, ever.

Old 08-02-2017, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
It's not all that unusual to think that you have flour or chili powder or whatever ingredient (because you usually do) but you forgot that you used the last of it the last time you made something and forgot to put it on the list to buy more.
Yes, I've done that, but then I put the other ingredients away and postponed cooking whatever it was. Or substituted something else if possible. We lived 10 slow miles from the stores and it wasn't worth making a special trip for. We never got down to "Nothing to eat" because in that area, we always had what I call camping food stashed for emergencies or prolonged power outages.

Old 08-02-2017, 09:27 AM

29,266 posts, read 16,760,060 times
Quote:
The part I don't get is Don't you check what ingredients you have BEFORE you start cooking? It ain't rocket science.
People are NOT perfect and often don't have a "little" something and try to substitute. Not rocket science.

Old 08-02-2017, 09:38 AM

14,530 posts, read 20,128,038 times
I couldn't lend you a cup of sugar because I have less than 1/2 cup on hand. That's the same 1/2 cup on hand I had 3 months ago. It's a good thing that sugar doesn't spoil.

Old 08-02-2017, 10:00 AM

20,764 posts, read 19,976,767 times
My parents always had and still have only one car. The store used to close in the evenings and weekends.

Two good reasons to borrow stuff from your neighbor when you are in the middle of cooking/baking and unexpectedly run out of stuff. People back then knew their neighbors.

Old 08-02-2017, 10:02 AM

3,568 posts, read 1,346,788 times
Long time ago people often weren't near a grocery store, or they didn't have money, or another car. It wasn't uncommon for some families not to have a telephone in the 1950 & 1960s.

But times have changed. Also, people are more security conscious - with good reason.

I've never been one that needed to get into the neighbor lending/borrowing arrangement - although I have helped people in emergency situations.

I used to live a block from a large chain grocery store, but I had the occasional neighbor who frequently borrowed (or tried to borrow) things ..... a couple eggs, coffee, an onion, etc. Some people went along with it, but I said I didn't have any extra ______, and if I lent things I would soon run out and have to go to the store myself. The borrower didn't like my answer, but it prevented them from making a habit of knocking on my door.

Okay - I know things happen and sometimes during a snowstorm a person might realize they need another egg or they thought they had more detergent or whatever. But making a list and an effort to be better organized would help prevent such problems. And yes, some people are freeloaders and habitual moochers, and they see nothing wrong with interrupting and annoying their neighbors. Also, some people use borrowing/lending as a way to try to pull others into their lives and drama.

There's a difference between locking your keys/phone in your car vs not checking to make sure you have all the necessary ingredients prior to making a cake/casserole. No one is saying people ARE perfect; however, poor planning on your part does not = an emergency on mine.

Independence and self-sufficiency are great things to acquire and teach others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology